Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I just purchased a M1 MBA on Friday and all works so so well except when I connect it to my Dell WD19TB dock. I previously had a 2016 MacBook Pro 15 inch and after some updates to the dock (using my work Dell laptop) it worked amazingly well. Everything worked except the sound out port.

With the MBA, almost everything works better (for example, default resolution on my 4k monitor is 1080p HiDPI instead of native 2160p) except I can’t get any sound to work.

I have a Dell S2817q 4k monitor attached to the dock with DisplayPort and whether its the internal speakers or attached external speakers I get no sound.

Posting to see if anyone else who got a M1 MBA (or MBP) is having the same issue.

Thanks!

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Hi I,

I think I have the same dock as you. I just got one of these Dell Docks from work for my work laptop.
(My dock model is a Dell W19 130W USB-C HUHB)
Last night tried it with my new M1 MBA, and works ok.

For Sound:
Settings > Sound

There are 3 options there to choose; MBA, Monitor, USB driver.

Hope that helps!
Martin

PS:
My monitor sound - with mic out to sound system - Is crackly, with a weird morse code noise going on, like off you put phone next to call centre headset etc. I don’t have this with the Ipad or Window 10 laptop, connected via the same USB-C lead to same physical set up.

When i change to “USB Driver” - and use the Jack at the front of the dell dock, the sound from the MBA is crystal clear. Go figure!

Will investigate more over the weekend when I get more time.

Moosefuel

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Montreal, Canada
I have been having a very difficult time getting audio from the M1 Mini to my Dell P2715Q connected via Displayport and a Belkin Thunderbolt dock. It worked fine on my wife's 2016 MBP 13", so I know it SHOULD work. This is very frustrating!

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I use the Dell WD15 dock (180w) and it works with the M1 MBP - just the HDMI display resolution is lower than what I like but then it's a work computer.

Sound is thru a USB DAC convertor (SoundBlaster Play3) for a phone headset.

Moosefuel

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Montreal, Canada
Sound is thru a USB DAC convertor (SoundBlaster Play3) for a phone headset.
My thunderbolt dock has a built-in USB DAC converter, but selecting this often causes issues where videos refuse to play, and a peek into the console logs tell me that MacOS is having trouble getting audio and video to sync, and therefore won't begin playback. I do video editing for a living, so this simply makes it unusable. I do have another DAC which is a dongle, I'll give that a try.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I have been having a very difficult time getting audio from the M1 Mini to my Dell P2715Q connected via Displayport and a Belkin Thunderbolt dock. It worked fine on my wife's 2016 MBP 13", so I know it SHOULD work. This is very frustrating!

Only works through HDMI. I have my speakers connected directly through my Dell S2817Q and I can get sound only that way.

fredn

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Old thread, but I have an M3 Max 16" MBP running Sonoma 14.2.1 plugged into a WD19TB and I do have sound coming out of the audio jack on the dock.

gembrot

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
Old thread, but I have an M3 Max 16" MBP running Sonoma 14.2.1 plugged into a WD19TB and I do have sound coming out of the audio jack on the dock.
What did you do to get it working? My WD19TB doesn't output any audio on the 3.5 jack at the back of the docking station. The device is shown as Realtek USB 2.0 Audio but when selected it doesn't output any sound. I've got an M3 Pro 14" MBP running Sonoma 14.4.1

In the "Audio" tab of the "System Information" app, it shows:
Code:
Realtek USB2.0 Audio:

Default Output Device:  Yes
  Manufacturer:           Generic
  Output Channels:        4
  Current SampleRate:     48000
  Transport:              USB
  Output Source:          Default

I'm wondering whether you had tinkered with applehda.kext

Last edited:

fredn

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
I'm wondering whether you had tinkered with applehda.kext

I did not tinker with anything or any extensions... It just worked. Apparently, luckily.

My WD19TB doesn't output any audio on the 3.5 jack at the back of the docking station.

That's odd -- my audio output jack is in the FRONT of the docking station! Your's is in the back? Are you sure you have a WD19TB?

Unfortunately I am traveling overseas at the moment and won't be home for about a month but if you ping me here in about a month I'd be happy to take a look at what that "Audio" tab of "System Information" says when I am plugged into the dock.

gembrot

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
That's odd -- my audio output jack is in the FRONT of the docking station! Your's is in the back? Are you sure you have a WD19TB?

You're right, the headphones jack in front works, but I was trying to use the line out at the back of the docking station, so there's no cable in front. But the front jack works indeed.

fredn

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
You're right, the headphones jack in front works, but I was trying to use the line out at the back of the docking station, so there's no cable in front. But the front jack works indeed.
Oh interesting. I have never used the line out at the back as I don't have any equipment that needs it. I didn't even remember there was a line out in the back and can't look at mine to make sure there is one. Perhaps that's where the confusion lies. That's too bad if that port doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.