Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hey guys, planning to upgrade my 15" m2 16gb 1tb to a m3 24gb 2tb.

running tons of memory intensive tabs on browser and love the lightening speed of my m1max, hoping that his upgrade gets me similar OS speeds and overall snappier performance.

did anyone here do an m2 to m3 upgrade? notice anything speed wise or I'm just wasting my time here...

hoping the added memory and m3 chip makes it feel more like my max

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I traded in my Macbook Air m2 8G/256GB. I would have kept it but I wanted to see for myself if 8GB base model was enough RAM. For me that was not the case. I kept hitting the memory pressure just with 3-4 browsers open and Outlook, Message, and sometimes Apple Music. Storage was fine as I don't install a lot of programs. And because it would hit the memory pressure all the time when listening to music I would hear very short pause or stutter sometimes if I did something else like surfing the net while listening to music. Basically multitasking moderately hit the memory pressure in my use case. So I wanted to upgrade for that reason. Also the midnight color was a in fact a fingerprint magnet so I got space gray for my M3 MBA. I should have went with 16GB/512GB on the M2 MBA saving myself this upgrade, but meh. I shouldn't need to upgrade now for a few years. I'm very happy with the new M3 MBA.

Reactions: riomp300

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Hey guys, planning to upgrade my 15" m2 16gb 1tb to a m3 24gb 2tb.

running tons of memory intensive tabs on browser and love the lightening speed of my m1max, hoping that his upgrade gets me similar OS speeds and overall snappier performance.

did anyone here do an m2 to m3 upgrade? notice anything speed wise or I'm just wasting my time here...

hoping the added memory and m3 chip makes it feel more like my max

Which intensive sites and how many tabs you having that your M2 MBA with 16GB RAM hitting a memory pressure? Also which browser you using?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i doubt 24GB is worth it unless you're going to be running heavy workloads all the time. if that's the case you should maybe buy a Windows PC or MBP instead.

16GB seems plenty for me. so far only used 640kb of swap. never seen memory pressure go into yellow. and i've pushed my M3 Air as hard as i'll ever use it. no matter what i've done i can't get it to go beyond 12GB and that's with 4-5GB cached so really it's only using ~7-8GB. Cached is nice to have but it could be 1GB and everything would still work fine.

8GB is a joke. 24GB is worth it only if you KNOW you need it. 16GB is the sweet-spot and should be ideal for majority of people.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
If you're seeing limitations around the configuration that you currently have, it might be worth it to consider the pro line. I would imagine that your needs are only going to grow over time and it seems you're outgrowing the current limitations you have now. Would you see an improvement by going with the configuration you mentioned? Yes. But how long will it do what you need it to before hitting that threshold again in the future.

As another user mentioned, the browser you use also plays a big part in your memory usage if you're someone who utilizes a lot of tabs. Certain chromium based browsers can be memory hogs while other alternatives are significantly lighter (such as Safari). I'm by no means suggesting you should use something that doesn't support your workflow and preferences.

With AI implementation rapidly growing in browsers and other programs, I would be looking at Pro models that offer a significant boost in processing power and the ability to support a higher ram configuration to future proof yourself.

You mentioned having an M1 Max machine (I have the same and have zero complaints when it comes to operating heavy workflows). Do you have the need for 2 computers? I used to do the same but ultimately decided purchasing one machine with a significant amount of upgrades was a better choice. I would trade in the Air and the Pro you currently have and get a good spec M3 Max machine.

• Love
Reactions: erkanasu

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
For me, even 36gb is not nearly enough. Thing is, I didn't know I would be needing all this ram, but had bought a 36GB MacBook (just in case). Turns out it was a good move. Of course had I known my new usage I would have bought more.

Expensive. When you get into it like this it might be smart to go Windows PC el-cheapo (or less expensive). I Have a NUC with 64GB, so there's that, but I like the MBP M3 much more, for obvious reasons.

Point is: Go 24gb MBA

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
But how do you know? That’s the thing.
You don't, but if had gotten a 16gb model would have had to sell it and get a new one, which is not good.
The reason I'm posting is it's a cautionary tale. :D But unlikely really, as I'm surprised at the turn of events.

So it's a gamble. Consider the odds

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
For me, even 36gb is not nearly enough. Thing is, I didn't know I would be needing all this ram…

I’m asking how you know 36GB isn’t enough? Why would’t 16GB have worked for you? Suppose someone else reads your post. What can they look for to reach the same conclusion?

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Some people run VMs and Containers. 24GB is default for me. I have it on M2 Air and definitely getting the M3 Air 24GB.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Some people run VMs and Containers. 24GB is default for me. I have it on M2 Air and definitely getting the M3 Air 24GB.
Yes. For me it is mostly containers. 16 GB on the M1 was enough but with 24 GB it is comfortable.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
My philosophy is to always have more power under the hood...in case you need it.
No point looking back after 4 years and wondering: if only .....

When I bought my MBP Pro 13" Intel in 2018, I maxed out at 16GB.
Now in my 6th year, I'm happy I did. Just upgraded it to Ventura, got a new Wifi6 router
and even though I'm only on a 250 MPps plan, it is like a new computer to me.

I always recommend future proofing if it's in budget....better to take a small hit now than
contemplate buying a new MacBook a few years later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.