Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

popgregg

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2023
Detroit Michigan
Hi all,

I've recently started having an issue with my M2 Air that I believe to be software-based rather than hardware-based. Sometimes, I'll leave my mac to go to sleep (screen goes black, I think that's sleep, not sure what to call it) and when I come back to wake it up, the display stays black. I can interact with it, get media to play, even plug it into an external display and use it that way, but the built-in display will stay blacked out (but still active) until I restart. Closing and opening doesn't seem to do anything. EDIT: I tired adjusting display brightness from the keyboard too, does nothing.

rt only happened a handful of times in the last few weeks, so I think it might be a bug related to an update, but I can't really find anything definitive online.
u cause short of wiping my computer and starting fresh?
I had a similar issue. Apple Support recommended I hold power button for 10 seconds. It worked and screen came back to life'

boss.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
I had a similar issue. Apple Support recommended I hold power button for 10 seconds. It worked and screen came back to life'
That just restarts the computer. It doesn't fix the issue, it'll still happen the next time I try wake the display using the escape key.

dumb4ever

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Just want to add, I'm having similar issue, sometimes screen goes blank, very random but it happened, Macbook Air M2 16Gb Memory, 512 Gb Storage (I'm on Sonoma 14.1.1)

None of my Macbook M1 experience this issue at all

Thank You

FreeLunch1

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Has anyone had luck with getting this issue resolved? I've seen a couple of threads on the internet after replacing hardware, they have gotten the issue fixed. Thanks in advance!

FreeLunch1

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Well for those that find this thread in the future, here is what I did. The M2 13 MBA was sent into Apple to get fixed. The first time, they only replaced the lid angle sensor and it exhibited the same sleep issues. I sent it in again and then they replaced the lid angle sensor and display. The issue is now resolved. As people have pointed out in this thread, I went to the Apple Store and found a 13 M2 MBA that had the same sleep issues. I also found another model on the floor with no issues. Sleep then pressing the escape key is all I needed to replicate the issue.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

ccj

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2006
London
Thanks for everyone's input on this. I've appreciated the troubleshooting and can confirm I have the same issue on a MacBook Air M2 and can replicate the 'black screen of death' by going to the Lock Screen and pressing escape as others have found. The issue for me was getting worse, sometimes happening twice a day - particularly when plugging into an external monitor (which would stay on, but the laptop screen would be black).

However, I have had a temporary reprieve for the last two weeks by completing disabling the screensaver in System Settings:

Screen Saver > Lock Screen Settings > Start Screen Saver when inactive > Never

I'm not sure whether I've just had a fortunate couple of weeks, but thought I'd share to see if this helps anyone else. I can still replicate the problem via the escape key on the Lock Screen, but I've not had it occur spontaneously again since I changed this.

(I'd been wondering whether it was a conflict between the Lock Screen and the screensaver as I noticed it happen once just as the screen saver was about to kick in. Obviously doesn't make sense with those that have solved the problem with the hardware replacement of the screen angle sensor - but may help as a temporary fix for those of us who can't live a day if their MacBooks get sent in for repair.)

Johnnnnnnnnnny

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2023
I can confirm this is a hardware issue either with lid angle sensor or both (lid angle sensor + display)

If you have warranty it should be fixed in RMA - they will replace both parts.

If you have no warranty - replacing the screen is super expensive. I would try to find a non-authorised service, that can just replace the lid angle sensor. The sensor needs to be calibrated - ensure they know how to calibrate the sensor after replacing (it can be done). Hopefully this will fix the issue and will be much cheaper then replacing whole screen.

Good luck 🤞

Reactions: halledise

Emmanuel.th

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2023
M2 MBA Has same issue but normally when use hot corner to put screen off and then keyboard backlit still on not turning off and display not bright only fix when restart devices. I think firmware issue but I'm go back to Ventura and have same issue. I assume if upgrade firmware to new version can't go back version. or Hardware issue.

Oh my first Mac of my life.

halledise

macrumors 68000
M2 MBA Has same issue but normally when use hot corner to put screen off and then keyboard backlit still on not turning off and display not bright only fix when restart devices. I think firmware issue but I'm go back to Ventura and have same issue. I assume if upgrade firmware to new version can't go back version. or Hardware issue.

Oh my first Mac of my life.
it does the same thing with monterey (which i’m running currently) as well as ventura and sonoma.
it’s thus gotta be a M2 hardware or firmware issue

Reactions: Emmanuel.th

Emmanuel.th

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2023
it does the same thing with monterey (which i’m running currently) as well as ventura and sonoma.
it’s thus gotta be a M2 hardware or firmware issue
Currently I reinstall Sonoma again and problem is the same but last time I saw error dialog form loginwindow process from apple is crash. It's totally make sense when you waking up from sleep first process macOS will call to open loginwindow app (is use for lockscreen). and when loginwindow process crash everything not wake up aka black screen.

Maybe M2 MBA firmware has issues to loginwindow process. I searching problem about loginwindow it normally on internet but not that way. Another reason when I press touchID button to lock screen sometime not locking screen

It is possible that the problem because "loginwindow"

Screenshot 2566-12-21 at 16.05.58.png

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
This laptop continues to disappoint. It is my wife's primary computer and in addition to the sleep (coma?) issue described here, the bezel below the screen right in the middle, not even a stress point, has begun to crack. It is now out of warranty and I'll be !#$@!#$-ed if I buy another Apple laptop at this point. My mid-2014 Macbook Pro is still going strong. If this is a hardware issue I feel like Apple should fix it for free. If it's a firmware issue, where's the fix?

halledise

macrumors 68000
This laptop continues to disappoint. It is my wife's primary computer and in addition to the sleep (coma?) issue described here, the bezel below the screen right in the middle, not even a stress point, has begun to crack. It is now out of warranty and I'll be !#$@!#$-ed if I buy another Apple laptop at this point. My mid-2014 Macbook Pro is still going strong. If this is a hardware issue I feel like Apple should fix it for free. If it's a firmware issue, where's the fix?
sadly, Apple don’t give a toss.
otherwise there’d be a software fix issued by now or a free repair program launched.
i guess they’d rather we bought MBPro rather than Airs 😏

OAG7

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2020
Central Ohio
MBA M2 2022 Model. I can cause the problem (Blank Black Screen) this way:

1. Lock Screen
2. Enter Password
3. Instead of hitting RETURN KEY - Hit ESCAPE Key

Works for me every time. Only way out is to wait for keyboard lighting to go out and then Hit the Power Button. When it restarts (and it does every time) a Apple Error Screen will show with instructions. I just hit CANCEL and all is well at point.

Just did it for the heck of it now.

Ravenore

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
I want to share my recent experience dealing with this issue with you: I visited the Apple Store three times. Initially, they sent my laptop elsewhere for repairs, but unfortunately, the technicians there only reinstalled the system and/or firmware, which didn't resolve the issue. Subsequently, the Apple Store staff attempted to address the problem by replacing the logic board, but this too proved unsuccessful. Eventually, after returning once more, they offered me a replacement unit.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I want to share my recent experience dealing with this issue with you: I visited the Apple Store three times. Initially, they sent my laptop elsewhere for repairs, but unfortunately, the technicians there only reinstalled the system and/or firmware, which didn't resolve the issue. Subsequently, the Apple Store staff attempted to address the problem by replacing the logic board, but this too proved unsuccessful. Eventually, after returning once more, they offered me a replacement unit.
well done!
hopefully you opted for a MBPro instead of the Air?

jaubele

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
I have the same problem, I visit Apple Store in mexico City, they change the lib angle sensor , but still the same issue , so I close all the MBairs on the store and did have the same issue , they where surprised , MbPro did not have the issue, terrible m2 mb air , apple should have this fix or replace them

mconn

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
Thanks for everyone's input on this. I've appreciated the troubleshooting and can confirm I have the same issue on a MacBook Air M2 and can replicate the 'black screen of death' by going to the Lock Screen and pressing escape as others have found. The issue for me was getting worse, sometimes happening twice a day - particularly when plugging into an external monitor (which would stay on, but the laptop screen would be black).

However, I have had a temporary reprieve for the last two weeks by completing disabling the screensaver in System Settings:

Screen Saver > Lock Screen Settings > Start Screen Saver when inactive > Never

I'm not sure whether I've just had a fortunate couple of weeks, but thought I'd share to see if this helps anyone else. I can still replicate the problem via the escape key on the Lock Screen, but I've not had it occur spontaneously again since I changed this.

(I'd been wondering whether it was a conflict between the Lock Screen and the screensaver as I noticed it happen once just as the screen saver was about to kick in. Obviously doesn't make sense with those that have solved the problem with the hardware replacement of the screen angle sensor - but may help as a temporary fix for those of us who can't live a day if their MacBooks get sent in for repair.)
A little late to the reply but I was having the exact same black screen issues with my MacBook Air M2 for a few months. I took it in, couldn't repeat the issue was sent home from Apple store telling me I probably would have to replace the display and sensor. My computer is out of warranty and that repair is over $600. But thanks to your reprieve (CCJ), my computer has stopped doing it completely. Here are the steps I took:

System Settings>Lock Screen>1. Start Screen Saver when inactive (Never), 2. Turn display off on battery when inactive (Never), 3. Turn Display off on power adapter when inactive (Never). BIG WARNING HERE: BY CHOOSING NEVER THE SCREEN WILL NEVER GO TO SLEEP UNLESS YOU MANUALLY REMEMBER TO PUT IT TO SLEEP. NOT A BIG DEAL FOR ME BUT IT WILL EAT UP BATTERY & COULD SHORTEN THE LIFE OF YOUR DISPLAY. But I haven't had the issue since I did this. I'm doing all I can to avoid the pricey repair which seems to me the fault of Apple's cheap parts and should have been recalled. But all is good now - just remember to manually put your computer to sleep!

Reactions: johnc22

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
I set my wife's to not sleep for 30 minutes and I think that's helped. I feel like at some point Apple may do goodwill repairs on these as there are a lot of complaints here and on Reddit for this issue, and for my wife the machine was out of warranty before it got bad.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I have "maybe" good news. Just installed Sonoma 14.4 and while the issue is still there, it changed significatively!
I was curious about this update since it adds support for the new Air models.

Now, if you go to the lock screen and press ESC few times, the screen would go black, but the Mac restarts by itself! This is new and potentially good since Apple is aware of the issue and is changing things.

The other new thing (and ever better news), all the times after the issue you get a crash message.
This can help to solve the problem if Apple can gather more info about it.

Code:
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xfffffe0014feda9c): DCP PANIC - ASSERT!AppleDCPDPTXPowerController.cpp:538 No device added after powering on the rails. HPD=0 - dcpav(27)
ASSERT!AppleDCPDPTXPowerController.cpp:538 No device added after powering on the rails. HPD=0
RTKit: RTKit-2419.101.1.release - Client: local-ipad14dcp.RELEASE

DCP panic is a Display Co-Processor [Graphics Processor] panic.

Please comment if you are seeing changes after 14.4 and also, click "> Comments" on the crash window to write about the details of the bug to Apple.

Last edited:

Kai82

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
I have "maybe" good news. Just installed Sonoma 14.4 and while the issue is still there, it changed significatively!

Now, if you go to the lock screen and press ESC few times, the screen would go black, but the Mac restarts by itself! This is new and potentially good since Apple is aware of the issue and is changing things.

The other new thing (and ever better news), all the times after the issue you get a crash message.

Code:
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xfffffe0014feda9c): DCP PANIC - ASSERT!AppleDCPDPTXPowerController.cpp:538 No device added after powering on the rails. HPD=0 - dcpav(27)
ASSERT!AppleDCPDPTXPowerController.cpp:538 No device added after powering on the rails. HPD=0

Please comment if you are seeing changes after 14.4 and also, click "> Comments" on the crash window to write about the details of the bug to Apple.

Code:
panic(cpu 3 caller 0xfffffe002b6b1a9c): DCP PANIC - ASSERT!AppleDCPDPTXPowerController.cpp:538 No device added after powering on the rails. HPD=0 - dcpav(27)

I've gotten the same issue on my laptop and only found out about this recently. Updated to 14.4 and it restarts with the same crash report as yours!

Not sure what Im gonna do next but I'm heading down to the apple store tmr to see what they can do about this...

Reactions: diego.caraballo

jh.g

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
I figured out that the hot corner caused this problem. When your cursor is left on the left-bottom corner (the default is "put display to sleep"), the screen goes black right after waking up and never comes back. I could solve this issue by disabling this hot corner functionality. You can find them at

System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Hot Corners (at the bottom of the page).

Goompa

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2018
I have the same problem, I visit Apple Store in mexico City, they change the lib angle sensor , but still the same issue , so I close all the MBairs on the store and did have the same issue , they where surprised , MbPro did not have the issue, terrible m2 mb air , apple should have this fix or replace them
Hola! Yo acabo de recibir mi M2 air de la Apple Store en Polanco. Según le cambiaron la pantalla. Pero ahora no se si el problema es a nivel software, hardware o una mezcla de ambos? nos volverá a pasar? u_u

Después de leer todos esos comentarios, me pregunto si es buena idea seguir con una air m2... :/

mconn

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024

Code:

Yes - after updating to now Sonoma 14.4.1 - the problem came back but changed. It still feels weird and random as it has happened since I switched my screen to never to go sleep. If it randomly goes to sleep (which it shouldn't since I have it set to never sleep) the screen does come back on but not all the time. So annoying but if they end up fixing it without having to replace the sensor & screen I will be happy - From what I can tell Apple is not admitting to a chronic problem with the screen going black - What is it really that is causing the problem - that's what I want to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.