Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agregson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I purchased M1 MBA in 2021 - super computer. Only base 8/256 spec as my use is light (development in terminal with vim/make/c/obj-c, coderunner, tumult whisk, dash and a few others, mail/web/messages, photos, music and so on). Memory or storage has never been an issue as I am strict with closing apps, tabs (use groups extensively), own NAS and iCloud. Paired it with Studio display in 2022 and finally had a decent desktop monitor to rival the 5k iMac I could now retire.

Purchased a M2 mini last month in refurb. Again just base spec 8/256. Intended to release the MBA for a second desk and use with the ASD. It all works perfectly and paired with the Apple Keyboard and Trackpad - I like to keep it all Apple. Fantastic machine though I cannot say I feel a lot has changed (my usage is not heavy). I don't benchmark the computers as they are more than sufficient for my needs and expectations. I know the SSD in MBA will be "faster" than the mini but I am not sure it really matters to me - even with swap the memory at 8GB should not be noticeable.

One thing I have been aware of is the wake from sleep. The MBA is instant and the ASD responds instantly. Finger on touchID and it just wakes with ASD ready almost instantly. The mini has a hesitation. Not a lot but noticeable and slightly reminiscent of my experience with non Apple monitors (Iiyama ultrawide 1440p and then 4k USB-C while I waited for Apple to deliver a decent 5k option). Not quite as slow as the Iiyama but not as instant as the MBA. I have tried the MBA again with and without the apple keyboard and it is instant. There is nothing special on the Mini - no external devices, no unusual settings, ethernet connection etc.

While this is all very minor and it is still way better than the Iiyama and my Windows mini with Iiyama now it is a little annoying - as the ASD and MBA has conditioned me. I am now considering switching roles, retiring the Windows mini to replace with Mac mini on Iiyama 4k (it has USB-C, DP and HDMI) where the wake from sleep will not be as noticeable as the display takes a little time anyway. Also thinking the MBA and ASD may just be the superior solution - if only Apple had included ethernet on the ASD.

Has anyone else seen anything similar or able to offer any opinion? The thought had crossed my mind that the SSD may be used to wake from sleep and the difference I thought had no impact on me may actually be an influence.

Both are amazing machines. The mini in refurb is a stunning computer. There is no comparison with my Windows mini or similar price Windows mini - it is a superb computer and easily the best value in small computers. For anyone looking to get into Mac a M2 mini 8/256 with even a 1080p Iiyama or similar monitor, Logitech keyboard and mouse should see change from £650 or £700 if wish to add a webcam and speakers to the mix. That is hard to beat and my recommended suggestion now for anyone asking me for a decent, small, affordable computer setup.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
One thing I have been aware of is the wake from sleep. The MBA is instant and the ASD responds instantly. Finger on touchID and it just wakes with ASD ready almost instantly. The mini has a hesitation.
I use a MacBook Pro (by itself) and a Mac mini with LG 5K display. I do notice that the Touch ID wake using the mini is a bit slower - I just chalk that up to the external keyboard needing more time to sync up, etc.

Also I notice that sometimes it's necessary to press the Touch ID key with the mini, rather than just touching it. Alternatively I can click the mouse a couple of times to "Wake" the machine, then use Touch ID to unlock it.

agregson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I use a MacBook Pro (by itself) and a Mac mini with LG 5K display. I do notice that the Touch ID wake using the mini is a bit slower - I just chalk that up to the external keyboard needing more time to sync up, etc.

Also I notice that sometimes it's necessary to press the Touch ID key with the mini, rather than just touching it. Alternatively I can click the mouse a couple of times to "Wake" the machine, then use Touch ID to unlock it.
I noticed the same on mini with Touch ID. A click is often necessary or, as you suggest, a wake with trackpad tap then simple touch on touchID. On MBA a touch will wake it from sleep. It is a little annoying on apple keyboard as it means sometimes a press is needed and most times a touch is needed. If I am distracted while working and click while awake that can trigger a lock or sleep.

I thought the same with external keyboard. However before the mini I had the same keyboard and trackpad paired to MBA and MBA in closed lid mode on my desk. The TouchID from external keyboard is/was just as instant as internal keyboard.

It is all quite minor. Annoying as the ASD is instant on and the delay in mini takes away a little from it. Still faster than the Iiyama UHD but not as fast as mini (open or closed, internal or external keyboard) with ASD. I cannot find any reason this would be the case. Just seems a little odd.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I note the same lag. Using both a Logitech keyboard and mouse, BTW.
Frankly, I'm not sure if its the device itself, or it's communication with the external monitor. Putting it down to another quirk from Apple.

Last edited:

agregson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I note the same lag. Using both a Logitech keyboard and mouse, BTW.
Frankly, I'm not sure if its the device itself, or it's communication with the external monitor. Purtting it down to another quirk from Apple.
Your post gave me idea to test with my Logitech keyboard and mouse (K380 and M720). Paired with MBA the wakeup is instant though need unlock (which watch deals with). Display startup is instant. Connected to ASD there is no perceivable lag from MBA. Then paired them with M2 mini and ASD. The lag returns and is about the same as with the Apple keyboard and trackpad. Whatever is going on seems to be some sort of display or wakeup.

There are a few things I can think of. MBA has a battery and maybe has a different type of sleep compared to Mini. I wonder if mini saves to SSD and on wake needs to restore from SSD. MBA would have option to run in some sort of low power.

I tend to stick with all Apple when I can in hope it will have been tested. A little disappointed that my Apple keyboard and trackpad at almost £300 cannot solve this issue and shows same performance as Logitech setup. Maybe there is an issue with wake with/without battery and it is not documented by Apple. If there is some other issue I am a little disappointed that Apple have not tested the configuration given they are all current generation devices sold by Apple.

it is confusing. The M2 mini is a super computer but I think it will be on my Iiyama 4k and Logitech key/mouse as second desk (where MBA was intended for) and MBA will return to primary desk with ASD and Apple key/track where it restores the instant startup.

If anyone else has any thoughts, experiences or comments please share.

agregson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I set the mini not to sleep when display is asleep. Power meter shows it uses very little power anyway. The wake from sleep is now instant and identical to the MBA. ASD is ready instantly as soon as Touch ID is touched just as it is with MBA with internal or external display and internal or Apple keyboard. It appears the issue may be as I suspected - the mini without internal battery appears to implement sleep differently maybe with swap out. Swapping the committed memory to/from SSD given benchmarks of SSD would reconcile with the perceived delay.

That gives me idea to use pmset from cron to change the power management options to prevent sleep during "working/waking" hours. I already run a series of cron tasks for backup (via rsync), sync (also rsync) iCloud to NAS etc so easily added. Solves the "issue/annoyance" I had with mini. I suppose the scheduling could be done within pmset with a repeat for relevant days/times and wakeorpoweron event.

On subject of Mac mini I wish Apple would make a mini mimi (a Mac micro?). Maybe size of Apple TV, no internal PSU and power by USB-PD from ASD. keep the ports (maybe move a C and A to front and same on rear). If it could be made to fit on the bottom ASD stand space it would be rather cool.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.