Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
My wife got a 15" M3 MacBook Air 2TB/24GB. We both noticed some vibration like sensations when touching the large area to the right of the track pad. What is this? Is it some haptic thing you can turn off?

Its still running migration assistant - her old laptop is in target disk mode, so I haven't been able to check out the settings.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My wife got a 15" M3 MacBook Air 2TB/24GB. We both noticed some vibration like sensations when touching the large area to the right of the track pad. What is this? Is it some haptic thing you can turn off?

Its still running migration assistant - her old laptop is in target disk mode, so I haven't been able to check out the settings.
Does that sensation go away if the laptop is unplugged? If so it’s a very small electrical current which can be eliminated by using the Apple extension cable for the charger which includes a grounding wire. If you’re in the US, it’s this one: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK122LL/A/power-adapter-extension-cable

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Does that sensation go away if the laptop is unplugged? If so it’s a very small electrical current which can be eliminated by using the Apple extension cable for the charger which includes a grounding wire.

You are right! I had the MacBook Air plugged in since its still running migration assistant. Unplugging it makes the 'vibrations' go away. The old laptop we're replacing came with the Apple extension cable - using it on the new laptop also resolved the issue.

I'm glad we went with the build-to-order 70W adapter option - it doesn't seem the 35W version is compatible with the Apple extension cord.

Surprised the new laptop didn't come with this cable so you can have a grounded power source!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Surprised the new laptop didn't come with this cable so you can have a grounded power source!
Unfortunately Apple stopped including those quite a few years ago now. The tingle you feel isn’t dangerous but I do find it annoying.

Reactions: leifp

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Unfortunately Apple stopped including those quite a few years ago now. The tingle you feel isn’t dangerous but I do find it annoying.
I was more concerned about damaging the new laptop! I don’t know enough about the electromagnetic force to know if what was happening was bad for electronics inside. Thanks again!

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I'm glad we went with the build-to-order 70W adapter option - it doesn't seem the 35W version is compatible with the Apple extension cord.

Just wanted to let you know you can get the 35W dual charger and use the grounded extension cable.

With these new  M chip laptops, I mostly use it unplugged and occasionally charge (standby time is also amazing). Basically the reverse of how I used any previous laptop. Quite a paradigm shift for me.

35W Dual USB-C Port Power Adapter

1710299184237.png

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I wonder why they don't offer that as an option when ordering the laptop - my only options were this "compact" one that can't use the extension cord, or the 70W that can:

So I'd have to buy that other adapter separately.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I borrowed a Klein RT250 receptacle tester, and it says the outlet is fine and properly grounded.

Has anyone tried this grounded "duckhead" adapter so I don't need the bulky 6ft cord?

I was a little concerned about 3.9 stars, but all the negative reviews seem to be about two adapters in the photo and only receiving one. I think the photo is trying to show different angles of the adapter.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Has anyone tried this grounded "duckhead" adapter so I don't need the bulky 6ft cord?
There's no reason it wouldn't work fine although not being able to fold in the prongs would annoy me when traveling. There are no electronics in those adapters- each pin just passes through to the actual adapter. I personally just coil up the 6' cord with some velcro, that way it works for me when home or traveling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.