Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Was in an Apple Store earlier and testing out the MBA 15" keyboard.
Unfortunately there is no way to simulate a sitting position in an Apple Store
and my knees are not strong enough to try.

But standing and typing I got the sensation of the keyboard keys not being as
taut to the impact of my fingers... I felt I had to come down on them with a bit
more force than I usually employ.

For reference, my 2018 Intel MBP 13" has a very nice keyboard...taut, and offers just
the right amount of resistance to the fingers as they type away.

I know there are all sorts of biases that come into play for such things,
so I moved over to a M3 MBP and tried some typing...the keyboard there
felt a lot more taut (which is how I seem to prefer).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the MBA keyboards in general...or specifically visavis
the M3 MBPs?

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I was reading about this bias called the Availability Heuristic where people overestimate the information that
becomes available to them. For example, a person who argues that smoking is not injurious to health because they
know someone who lived to 100 and smoked 3 packs a day.

And, of course: "My cousin has an MBA M2 and likes the keyboard. He types entire books on it so he should know."

Still, I'm happy for your cousin...hoping to hear more views.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Was just reading a post about keyboards on reddit and one reviewer described the differences
between typing on different MacBook keyboards as "Spongy" vs "Clicky".

I think the MBA M3 15" keyboard leans towards "Spongy" for me....while the keyboard on my
2018 MBP is more "Clicky".

Wasn't even aware these terms existed for keyboards. :)

Anyway, think I got my answer from here:

Last edited:

Mega ST

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Europe
Oh, I remember that drama. I am typing this on some Intel MBP with the dreaded butterfly keyboard that works perfectly. No keys have been blocked or locked or whatever ever.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Yeah...no problem with my butterfly keyboard whatsoever.
I do have a thin keyboard protector over it and I never eat or drink while typing on it.

After reading a lot on this, have come to the conclusion that people do perceive keyboard
differences between MBA and MBP.

And MBP keyboards seem finished to a more "pro" standard. That's just how it is.

It's just a matter of getting used to a MBA keyboard I suppose.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
Keyboards tend to be personal preference. I had a M1 MBP and now use a M2 15” MBAir. I prefer the Air keyboard. More spaced out and less taunt than the MBP. I find it easier to type on.

Reactions: ascender

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Seems to literally invoke the "different strokes for different folks" saying.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've been using them back to back the last few days to try and decide which one I'm going to keep. I have a desktop as well, so performance isn't an issue.

For me, I prefer the feel of the Air keyboard and the larger area to rest your palms/wrists when typing. I'm not entirely sure why, because the Air's base is thinner than the MBP, but the keys feel more robust. I guess its all very subjective and down to personal preference.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I was reading about this bias called the Availability Heuristic where people overestimate the information that
becomes available to them. For example, a person who argues that smoking is not injurious to health because they
know someone who lived to 100 and smoked 3 packs a day.

And, of course: "My cousin has an MBA M2 and likes the keyboard. He types entire books on it so he should know."

Still, I'm happy for your cousin...hoping to hear more views.
Regarding the keyboard its a personal taste if you like it. I liked the 2016 butterfly keyboard and now the MPBs. Sponginess, key travel is very different but for me also just fine:)

Yes its also a personal taste if someone likes to smoke but I doubt someone will argue that smoking is healthy.

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
Hello!
I have moved from an MBA M1 to an MBA M3,
the keyboard feels a bit harder¿? but a better feel.

My problem is with the COMMAND keys, especially the one on the left, I use the CMD+W combination a lot to close windows and when doing so the CMD key sounds like very "clicky".

I don't know if it's because of its size, but it feels different from the rest of the keys.

I can still return it but overall I am happy with this unit and would have to wait 3 weeks to get a new one.

Could someone please check if their cmd keys sound different from the rest?

many thanks!

Traducido con DeepL (https://www.deepl.com/app/?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=share-translation)

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Does anyone have any thoughts on the MBA keyboards in general...or specifically visavis
the M3 MBPs?

Not m3 specifically, but I have had both Pros and Airs (non butterfly, 2010 air, 2011 pro, 2015 pro, 2020 air, 2021 m1-Pro).

They feel a little different, but you adjust pretty quick. Both are decent, just different. I was happy using both. I also have a Magic Keyboard, it's also fine.

A couple of days in you'd be perfectly happy with either is my take.

Reactions: KhunJay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.