Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Each to his own.

I prefer a workstation laptop to begin with because I mainly do video rendering and editing on it, as well as using Autodesk software.

For gaming, all I need is just hook up my eGPU to it and start gaming (Sonnet IIID with GTX 780 Ti and RM450 PSU).

...and while awesome, it's an incredibly expensive setup to get decent gaming performance.

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
Well I can justify the cost because:

1. I earn more than enough to do so.
2. The flexibility can't be beat. I can just simply stick it into any of my Macs with UEFI Windows installations and just plug and play.

Where did u get the enclosure for your egpu?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
...and while awesome, it's an incredibly expensive setup to get decent gaming performance.

Agreed for the price of the Sonnet IIID + video card, you can easily slap together a 4790K + 980ti/Fury setup which will kill any eGPU + rMBP combo...

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Just wanted to say I've noticed some annoying throttling issues, I think it's down to a far more aggresive cooling profile, even while gaming the case doesn't get that hot compared to my old 750M rMBP.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Agreed for the price of the Sonnet IIID + video card, you can easily slap together a 4790K + 980ti/Fury setup which will kill any eGPU + rMBP combo...
But you can't carry an entire Devil's Canyon gaming rig with you.

For me, I can just simply toss my 15" rMBP into my backpack along with the Sonnet IIID with the GTX 780 Ti inside it and have a mobile gaming rig using a desktop GPU.

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
But you can't carry an entire Devil's Canyon gaming rig with you.

For me, I can just simply toss my 15" rMBP into my backpack along with the Sonnet IIID with the GTX 780 Ti inside it and have a mobile gaming rig using a desktop GPU.

Ya but that Sonnet thing is crazy expensive for what it does.

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Just wanted to say I've noticed some annoying throttling issues, I think it's down to a far more aggresive cooling profile, even while gaming the case doesn't get that hot compared to my old 750M rMBP.
Have you tried disabling the cpu turbo boost to see if the lower power/temperature removes the gpu throttling?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The temperature profile definetly seems lower on these new ones. I had a late 2013 Haswell model with 750m and it got hotter than this 2015 with M370X. The fans are much more likely to kick up from 2,000 RPM to 3,000 RPM when the GPU hits 55-60c (idles about 46c) and once it's over 62c the fans seem to hit full throttle around 5,900 RPM.

I suspect the GPU failures in the past machines is one reason why Apple has chosen to be more aggressive with the fan profile and clock speed throttling.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
The temperature profile definetly seems lower on these new ones. I had a late 2013 Haswell model with 750m and it got hotter than this 2015 with M370X. The fans are much more likely to kick up from 2,000 RPM to 3,000 RPM when the GPU hits 55-60c (idles about 46c) and once it's over 62c the fans seem to hit full throttle around 5,900 RPM.

I suspect the GPU failures in the past machines is one reason why Apple has chosen to be more aggressive with the fan profile and clock speed throttling.

i think so too, but it doesn't justify giving users a gimped machine.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Mobility with desktop power justifies the cost, and besides, I could buy one of these babies monthly if I wanted to.

You are not the only wealthy person on here, just most of us have the humility and understanding not to brag about it. Usually I find the people who brag aren't really all that wealthy and feel insecure about it.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
You are not the only wealthy person on here, just most of us have the humility and understanding not to brag about it. Usually I find the people who brag aren't really all that wealthy and feel insecure about it.
We'll see, I still think that the cost of the Sonnet IIID is more than justified. Mobility and convenience has an intangible value.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
i think so too, but it doesn't justify giving users a gimped machine.

I agree completely. There is no excuse for advertising specifications and performance metrics that the machine can only sustain for mere minutes.

A £2,000 machine that runs like a £1,000 machine when you actually do intensive tasks is pretty bad. I bought one though so guess I'm the mug :p

EDIT:// I should note though, I don't game on my Laptops and I knew it would likely throttle under game loads. I only got the M370X to stave off OS X UI lag and things of that nature, not for gaming.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I agree completely. There is no excuse for advertising specifications and performance metrics that the machine can only sustain for mere minutes.

A £2,000 machine that runs like a £1,000 machine when you actually do intensive tasks is pretty bad. I bought one though so guess I'm the mug :p

EDIT:// I should note though, I don't game on my Laptops and I knew it would likely throttle under game loads. I only got the M370X to stave off OS X UI lag and things of that nature, not for gaming.

Possibly a waste then as it looks like el capitan will sort all those little software issues and graphics acceleration whether you have it or not.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Possibly a waste then as it looks like el capitan will sort all those little software issues and graphics acceleration whether you have it or not.

I don't think it was a waste. The M370X is about twice as fast as the Iris Pro and will last much longer. El Capitan does improve the UI performance but I'll likely hold on to this notebook for another 4 major OS X updates, the Iris Pro will show its age before then.

Also consider this, my old laptop died. I needed one immediately. If I took the base model and upgraded the SSD as I needed 500GB, 256GB wasn't even enough to hold my old data the shipping time was 7 days vs instant dispatch for next day delivery and there was only a £180 premium to step up to the M370X model which had a faster CPU and the 500GB SSD I needed, plus it was next day delivery.

I don't regret the purchase at all to be honest, the system is killer.

EDIT:// I also forgot, I do plug my notebook into an external display and I do intend to buy a 5K panel in the future. The M370X equipped rMBP is the only model that can do that from Apple at this time. That did factor in to my decision at the time as-well in the pro/con list I made in my head before purchasing.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Mobility with desktop power justifies the cost, and besides, I could buy one of these babies monthly if I wanted to.

Then replace the severely outdated 780ti with a Titan X and tell us how much Thunderbolt 2 is limiting it's performance...

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Then replace the severely outdated 780ti with a Titan X and tell us how much Thunderbolt 2 is limiting it's performance...
Well mobility does come at a cost, but it'll suffice. Can't have it all. I get about 85% of the card's full power and that's good enough.

The Titan X wouldn't perform at its full capabilities of course over TB2, but at least it's still better than being stuck with the discrete GPU that came with the rMBP.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Personally I'm looking at going back to a gaming machine anyway now that I don't need something portable. Still, I feel it was a silly move using an M370 over a GTX 950M, but that's just my take on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.