Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Still not worth the asking price
Not with the smart cover attached at the bottom now, opposite of where the Face ID camera is.

Flappus droppus doesn’t work for me, and if I spin it around to operate like prior models with the ‘hinge’ on top then the Face ID camera is at the bottom of the screen and may be blocked by my t-shirt or my gut or the sheets of my bed.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
This is achieved by using a lot of magnets!

View attachment 2377181
View attachment 2377181
red arrows are the speakers
14B58630-636F-4F66-B079-08CF816FDD5A.jpeg

Reactions: EugW and IT Troll

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
Caved in and bought the overpriced Apple case. The extra viewing angles make it more useful than previous versions and it feels great in the hand. I'll be returning the ESR Shift (too bulky and the front cover closure magnets are too weak).

The minimal protection is a concern with the Smart Folio, but I have gone for AppleCare this time (for the first time).

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
Caved in and bought the overpriced Apple case. The extra viewing angles make it more useful than previous versions and it feels great in the hand. I'll be returning the ESR Shift (too bulky and the front cover closure magnets are too weak).

The minimal protection is a concern with the Smart Folio, but I have gone for AppleCare this time (for the first time).
One thing I dislike about this case is it only provide protection for front and back

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Does the front easily fold back behind, for handheld use....?
I have been used to a silicon cover on my 1st gen, which Apple don't sell for newer iPads.

When folded back does it 'stick' to the back cover, or is it floppy.
Mark, while the flexible viewing angles in landscape mode are a very nice improvement, the fold back when holding in portrait orientation is not so good. Apple changed the location of the folds to accommodate multiple angles, but now when folded back it’s looser and the much wider width is awkward to hold. I used this folding technique 90% of the time.

Jim in Boulder

zaribars

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2020
I only feel it snap in the most leaned back position. It does not snap into place in the middle position. It just kind of slides around. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Looks heavy and bulky. I just care of my device and use it without any cover.
You have to remember, I don't take my iPad anywhere. It stays home now. I graduated medical school and retired to just a media consumption device. I actually haven't even opened my M1 MBA in over a month. My next iPad will likely either be an 11" iPad Pro or the new iPad mini.

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
I just got the 11" Pro. I was debating what case to get, and I wet with the OtterBox, which I've had good luck with their cases over the years and thought it would give me a little more protection over the Folio. Ordered both to be picked up 10am Wednesday. Got email case would be delayed. As I picked up iPad at Apple I noticed multiple cases sitting on the shelf, even though I already paid for it they would not give me one off the shelf. I either had to pay for another one and call Apple to cancel, or make another trip to Apple to pick up the thing setting on the shelf already. Not wanting to drive all the way back again I paid twice. The OtterBox is ok, better than a Folio which I had on my iPad 5 but this ESR looks a lot better to me. Wish I would've waited to make a case decision.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Not for me: Apple's Folio is silly overpriced for what it is, and still no side protection (very useful for keeping unmarked for later trade or sale). I went with ESR's new Hybrid Rebound Case 360 - full protection on sides & now the ability to magnetically detach that inner protection case from the kick stand itself:

One of the hidden attractions I found was in the ability to also swap that inner protection sleeve between the rebound kick stand & ESR's new keyboard case, ie for computer-like operation or simple kick stand for netflix etc.
Not at all interested in Apple's vastly overpriced new Magic keyboard, so I went for this one instead.

Another one in the new ESR range that I didn't quite get at first is the Shift Magnetic Case:
But some of the reviews cover those differences well & expecially if pairing with a bluetooth keyboard, eg:

13" 256G iPad Pro arrives tomorrow, so we shall see.
BTW having to buy the 1TB model to get the nano texture glass & an extra core is also silly gouging again.
Better for me to get the ERS bundle with paper-feel screen protectors.

Not there are not other brand options about for the new iPads, but with the exception of one pricey Otterbox folio, ESR is one of the very few that actually have products ready to ship now. I don't have any affililiation with ESR but couldn't help but notice the new range; have also used their other stuff before & it usually delivers well.
I ordered and returned.

Too bulky and just ok magnets.

Going to try new Apple folio.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I ordered and returned.

Too bulky and just ok magnets.

Going to try new Apple folio.
The negatives for me for The ESR Rebound 360 are the Bluetooth keyboard, lack of function key row on the 11", and the more limited maximum tilt angle (see pic), as well as your report of the just OK magnets. However, I did like the fact that when you removed the iPad from the stand, it still has a case on it. I know it adds bulk, but it also adds protection.

Is there any sort of bumper that works with the Magic Keyboard? My guess is no, but I have no experience with this.

ESR Rebound 360 tilt vs Magic Keyboard tilt:

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 9.19.45 AM.png

meDANOcine

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Is it just me, or is the silicone also improved? Maybe just because they are new cases, but it feels like a slightly different material.
loving the new magnetic angles too

Attachments

• IMG_4721.jpeg
    IMG_4721.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 46

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I previosly had the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio and liked it. It weighed just a little more then the smart folio, added a keyboard and was pretty sturdy in it's 2 upright positions. When the keyboard was folded back for reading, everything felt solid. This keyboard worked very well for me.

This year Apple doesn't offer the Smart Keyboard Folio. I didn't use the keyboard function too often, so I figured I would try the Smart Folio. I am very disappointed. When in the upright positions, the keyboard is not sturdy. I don't find that the magnets are strong. One time, when switch from the upright mode to folding back (portrait reading), the ipad slipped from the case. I was lucky to catch the ipad in my other hand before it hit the table. When in reading mode, the flap moves a bit. In short, the only time this case feels sturdy to me is when it is closed and the ipad is not being used. I will be sending it back. I now have a pitaka magez 2 folio on order. If that doesn't work , I'll just get a $19 folio off of amazon. I've had better luck with those, than this years Smart Folio.

I know others here in the thread are happy with the smart folio, and that is great. 👍 It's just not going to work for me.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I don’t actually feel three definite viewing angles on my 13” folio.

Of course you have the steepest angle with the triangle fully closed, and it snaps to magnet at the most shallow angle. But the middle on mine seems smoothly adjustable between those two, and the magnets hold wherever I put it in between. There’s no snap point in the middle for me.

I don’t know if this will ultimately loosen up as it wears in, or if I’ll eventually find the “subtle” third setting a couple other people mentioned, but right now it’s pretty nice. I can dial in arbitrary angles between extremes. I do wonder if this isn’t how it’s supposed to work.

aYvYyyPhNa

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
I wish you could use the folio with the Magic Keyboard. I want to use the keyboard, but also want to use it just as a tablet. The problem is I want some sort of protection when it's not on the MK. I don't like to get it all smudged up on the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.