Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slac11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2003
I have my G4 Ti Powerbook connected to the network here at work. I am able to access pretty much everything except the internet. I can through Explorer because when I open that application a dialog box shows up asking for proxy info. Safari, iTunes and all the other Apple apps do not access the internet. I am assuming this is because of the proxy settings in System Preferences.

I am running mac OS 10.3.2 and am connecting to a windows 2000 small business server.

Anyone know how to solve this :confused:

Thanks,
Robert

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
slac11 said:
I have my G4 Ti Powerbook connected to the network here at work. I am able to access pretty much everything except the internet. I can through Explorer because when I open that application a dialog box shows up asking for proxy info. Safari, iTunes and all the other Apple apps do not access the internet. I am assuming this is because of the proxy settings in System Preferences.

I am running mac OS 10.3.2 and am connecting to a windows 2000 small business server.

Anyone know how to solve this :confused:

Thanks,
Robert

Go talk to your net Admin and then go to System Prefs/Network. Select your network connection and the proxy tab. fill in what you need.

slac11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2003
pncc said:
Go talk to your net Admin and then go to System Prefs/Network. Select your network connection and the proxy tab. fill in what you need.

Already have all the proxy info filled in. My net Admin says its all correct and has no idea why it's not connecting (he refuses to think when confronted with a Mac question).

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I know that I have successfully used safari behind an SBS 2000 server. (I have the same Mac setup as you.) But I always use the IP of the proxy server and not the name. Did the information he gave you use the server name or the IP?

slac11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2003
Stelliform said:
I know that I have successfully used safari behind an SBS 2000 server. (I have the same Mac setup as you.) But I always use the IP of the proxy server and not the name. Did the information he gave you use the server name or the IP?

I am using the IP

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
slac11 said:
I am using the IP

Just for kicks I configured my Laptop to ignore the router on the network that I am on and I am getting to this page strictly through the ISA server. (proxy server)

Here are the settings. On the proxy tab in System Preferences I typed in the IP address of the proxy server. (192.168.1.2) and the port is 8080. (that is the standard port on all SBS 2000 servers) I then check "proxy server requires password", press "set password", and gave it a username and password of a user who is authenticated to use proxy. (this would be the name you give it in IE to get that working.)

After than safari just worked.

Let me know if that helps at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.