Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
For people with broadband conenctions, whos mac is on all day every day (like mine) wouldnt it be awsome if the your .mac account could work direct with your Mail app and pull emails direct from it onto .mac?

Only reason i say this is i just had a moment, where i needed an email, which is no longer on my .mac mail, but if .mac could work with the Mail app it would be great!

Only headers would need to appear on .mac, and when you need to open the mail, it could retrieve the rest from your mac at home

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I would love this feature too for those times I'm away from my Mac. I'm usually stuck on a Windows machine, so having that kind of functionality in .Mac webmail would be an absolute godsend for me.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
marknicholls said:
Do you think it is likely and/or possible?
First, let's list what changes would need to be made to make this work:

1. Enable synchronization of Mail.app rules, smart mailboxes, etc. (done, requires Tiger)
2. Make .Mac Sync smart enough to autodetect when Mail information needs to be resynched (partially implemented in Tiger, but isn't perfect yet - could be fixed with a Mac OS X update)
3. Update .Mac webmail to use the .Mac sync data (not implemented yet, but sounds doable to me)

Therefore, if #2 gets fixed (which is highly likely to occur) and #3 implemented (which Apple will do if it sees demand for it), we'll see this feature for sure. All we need to do is tell Apple that this is what we want.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
DXoverDY said:
It's called IMAP...
Not quite, DXoverDY. IMAP isn't anywhere near comprehensive enough, and us .Mac members already have it. What IMAP does is this: instead of retrieving the messages then removing them from the server, like POP does, messages stay on the server until you explicitly remove them. This allows you to see all of your messages, even the ones you've already read, wherever you happen to be.

What I'm looking for builds on top of the functionality IMAP offers. I want to be able to not only have my messages and mailboxes synchronized (which IMAP provides), but also have all my rules and smart mailboxes available to me at all times, even when I'm using webmail. This can only be done with .Mac Sync.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
wrldwzrd89 said:
What I'm looking for builds on top of the functionality IMAP offers. I want to be able to not only have my messages and mailboxes synchronized (which IMAP provides), but also have all my rules and smart mailboxes available to me at all times, even when I'm using webmail. This can only be done with .Mac Sync.

So basically we want our .mac accounts to be able to pull all email headers from our macs (as long as our macs are online at the time) and be able to pull of any email that is on our macs, onto our webmail

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
marknicholls said:
So basically we want our .mac accounts to be able to pull all email headers from our macs (as long as our macs are online at the time) and be able to pull of any email that is on our macs, onto our webmail
Actually, you can have mail on your Mac accessible from the webmail interface if you simply move it to a mailbox on the server. This can be done from within Mail: just create a new mailbox in membername@mac.com, then move the mail you want accessible on the server there. I actually don't store anything on the server, so I don't use this technique - nor do I really need 15 MB of email space. I'd like to be able to have 5 MB email and 1019 MB iDisk (I upgraded my .Mac storage to 1GB)...but Apple won't let me.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
wrldwzrd89 said:
Actually, you can have mail on your Mac accessible from the webmail interface if you simply move it to a mailbox on the server. This can be done from within Mail: just create a new mailbox in membername@mac.com, then move the mail you want accessible on the server there. I actually don't store anything on the server, so I don't use this technique - nor do I really need 15 MB of email space. I'd like to be able to have 5 MB email and 1019 MB iDisk (I upgraded my .Mac storage to 1GB)...but Apple won't let me.

Yeah that kinda defeats the object as you would still be restricted, to be able to acces every mail direct from your mac would be handy

lefty111

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2004
Philadelphia
.Mac mail

If your Mac is on all day via high speed internet, perhaps you can do a remote login to your home machine and read the mail that comes to your home machine? Just a thought.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
lefty111 said:
If your Mac is on all day via high speed internet, perhaps you can do a remote login to your home machine and read the mail that comes to your home machine? Just a thought.

not a bad idea, thanks...will have a google on that idea now :)

lefty111

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2004
Philadelphia
remote login

You can download Pine and set that up for your mail. Timbuktu Pro, I think, does remote connections, there are others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.