Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
A minor annoyance with the Mac (and iOS) App Stores - you have to download the complete app for even a tiny incremental bug fix. Considering many apps are several GB, that's quite a pain.

I agree -- the bypass some apps (e.g. Navigon) have used on iOS is even worse. Yes, now the app is only 40MB, but I have to re-download the two gigs of data over WiFi directly from the phone, which is way worse than having to download it in iTunes. I think this is one Apple is likely to address, however -- once iOS deltas are "normal," I think we'll see deltas roll out to iOS apps and probably the Mac App Store.

I do think that Apple needs to provide more flexibility for trial versions, upgrade routes, etc, but I don't see them doing it.

I think the App Store is likely to work, anyways. The numbers might be smaller, but aren't there a lot less Lion users (or even Lion + SL w/ app store users) than there are iOS users? Also I think it's just different -- a lot of app downloading on iPhone involves casual apps that cost little or nothing and survive on one's phone for a week or two. I don't feel that need on my computer, but I would still appreciate centralized buying and update management.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
While the appstore is great for finding software, personally if there's a choice between a piece of software that is available on the appStore or outside, I'll *always* choose the non app store version. Why? Because those pieces of software outside app store often are 'full' versions.. the appstore versions are stripped down to comply with the appStore rules. Drive Genuis is a great example of this. A lot of software have 'Sparkle' built in so they'll notify you of a new version when released.

Personally, I have no issues with serial numbers or using my credit card on different payment sites. No different to shopping on line using multiple stores.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Not everyone is of the same mindset (you mentioned piracy). Some just don't like to be a tagged and dyed sheep.

So now you're a sheep if you use iTunes? And if not piracy, then what's the alternative? Buying CDs? How does that not make you a sheep as well?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Mac App Store Hits 100 Million Downloads . . .

And takes most of the industry profits with it. That's the big take-away from this.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
The biggest downside for me is that most developers charge money even for super simple apps that I could write myself (but am too lazy to do). I refuse to pay for a simple todo-app :D.
From a developers point of view, I can understand why they don't release much free apps, after all they have to pay 100$/year for their developer account..
There used to be free applications (e.g. smartsleep), that aren't free anymore since they entered the appstore..Don't like that :mad:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Mac App Store Hits 100 Million Downloads . . .

And takes most of the industry profits with it. That's the big take-away from this.

Get real... windows software generates more revenue and larger profits than mac software. Windows has a signficantly larger user base than OSX will ever have.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So now you're a sheep if you use iTunes? And if not piracy, then what's the alternative? Buying CDs? How does that not make you a sheep as well?

There's quite a bit of software available for Macs, legally, outside the App Store without having to buy "CDs". :rolleyes:

I don't use the App store (though was forced to for Lion and XCode 4), and yet I don't condone piracy or have a CD drive on my MBA.

How does that fit your poor logic my friend ?

Why do some people feel the need to aggressively attack others who make different choices than they do ? Why does this even need to turn into an argument. The MAS isn't as big a hit as the iOS app store and that's frankly because of the limiting rules it puts in place on apps.

I'd rather my applications not be forced to be stripped down and thus I don't use it. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The biggest downside for me is that most developers charge money even for super simple apps that I could write myself (but am too lazy to do). I refuse to pay for a simple todo-app :D.

It's relative. Someone took the time to make the app, and there is no real way to gauge how "simple" it was for them to do. Further, sometimes the most simple apps have the greatest value for the consumer. It would be natural to charge for the something like that. The question is not "why charge for it?", but rather "how much is appropriate"?

----------

Get real... windows software generates more revenue and larger profits than mac software. Windows has a signficantly larger user base than OSX will ever have.

We're talking about mobile, not ancient "computer" paradigms which MS still clings to like grim death, in near-complete denial that the industry is moving forward without them.

It's been 4 years since the iPhone's release. All we have from them is a failing smartphone platform that's about 3 years too late, and the usual promises about the future.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country

By CDs I assume you mean music. There hasn't been any since circa 1980, so my audio cassettes will suffice. And, as for the sheep part, my preference is to not be shepherded and audited by some central big brother.

timirving

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
I think WestonHarvey1 was referring to the lack of iTunes use, not buying apps from the MAS.

There's quite a bit of software available for Macs, legally, outside the App Store without having to buy "CDs". :rolleyes:

I don't use the App store (though was forced to for Lion and XCode 4), and yet I don't condone piracy or have a CD drive on my MBA.

How does that fit your poor logic my friend ?

Why do some people feel the need to aggressively attack others who make different choices than they do ? Why does this even need to turn into an argument. The MAS isn't as big a hit as the iOS app store and that's frankly because of the limiting rules it puts in place on apps.

I'd rather my applications not be forced to be stripped down and thus I don't use it. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
We're talking about mobile, not ancient "computer" paradigms which MS still clings to like grim death, in near-complete denial that the industry is moving forward without them.

Read the head line "Mac App Store Hits 100 Million Downloads".. what part of that refers to mobile... ? Its OSX software, you know - the "ancient" computer paradigm your waffling on about.

"MS clinging to grim death"..... yea right.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think WestonHarvey1 was referring to the lack of iTunes use, not buying apps from the MAS.

Even worse. For one it's off-topic. And there's plenty of music alternatives out there outside of iTunes and CDs. So frankly the accusation of iTunes, CDs or piracy just shows how polarized Mr.Harvey1 wants to make this discussion.

BTW, Top posting = not cool. Reading your reply before knowing the context in which you are making it does not apply well to forum/group based discussion.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
It's relative. Someone took the time to make the app, and there is no real way to gauge how "simple" it was for them to do. Further, sometimes the most simple apps have the greatest value for the consumer. It would be natural to charge for the something like that. The question is not "why charge for it?", but rather "how much is appropriate"?

That's true, but on the other hand, some apps used to be free and updated for many years (as previously mentioned: smartsleep).. Until they hit the MAS, and they had to charge money (to suppress the costs for their dev account). That's something I don't like...Not everybody is ready to take out their credit card, for every tiny piece of software they want to install.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

And yet MS is moving in this direction:

http://betanews.com/2011/12/07/windows-store-isnt-what-you-think/

Seems MS' revenue generation model isn't all that hot after all.

----------

That's true, but on the other hand, some apps used to be free and updated for many years (as previously mentioned: smartsleep).. Until they hit the MAS, and they had to charge money (to suppress the costs for their dev account). That's something I don't like...Not everybody is ready to take out their credit card, for every tiny piece of software they want to install.

There's also free software. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The MAS isn't as big a hit as the iOS app store and that's frankly because of the limiting rules it puts in place on apps.

I think you are trying to fit the facts to your storyline. The explanations provided in the original post are much more realistic.

"But with a smaller user base, a smaller library of applications, more expensive average pricing, and the fact that the Mac App Store is not an exclusive official distribution platform for OS X, it is unsurprising that the Mac App Store has grown more slowly than its iOS counterpart."

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm not even going to bother looking at that link.. you post things out landish such as "MS is on the edge of backrupcy" ( in different words ).

This isn't about mobile, this story is about "OSX desktop software".. the same paradigm as you call "Ancient" in just a few posts above.... 100 million downloads isn't bad.. lots of life.

And yet MS is moving in this direction:

http://betanews.com/2011/12/07/windows-store-isnt-what-you-think/

Seems MS' revenue generation model isn't all that hot after all.

----------

There's also free software. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I'm not even going to bother looking at that link.. you post things out landish such as "MS is on the edge of backrupcy" ( in different words ).

I never posted such a thing - not even by implication. I probably used "different words" because . . . I said something entirely different. LOL
This isn't about mobile, this story is about "OSX desktop software".. the same paradigm as you call "Ancient" in just a few posts above.... 100 million downloads isn't bad.. lots of life.

Ok.

----------

I have purchased over 10 things from the Mac App Store, Personally, I like it, even discovered a few apps, I probably would have never purchased from the box store.

Of course you like it. Everything is in one place. Categorized, rated, etc. Nothing could be more convenient.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I bet a big percentage of that was Lion and Xcode4.
I bet too.

I mean, 100 Million really is a nice number. But what is behind that? Can any small developer show any numbers? Not those from last february. I want actual ones.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

After a HDD format and reinstallation of Lion on my Macbook, it was really nice to open the Appstore and press all the install buttons for applications like Growl. I really like that.

There are some shortcomings, I'd like an option NOT to open Launchpad every time I install an application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.