Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
A couple of months ago, I had hosted a video on my iDisk. I was a little worried I might hit the monthly bandwidth limit of 10Gb. A week or so went by and the video had gotten many hits and well over 10Gb of bandwidth used up. I was expecting a letter from Apple any day, but it never came. So i tried it again with another video, and again used over 10Gb of bandwidth with that video.. Now, for the mathematically challenged, that's over 20Gb of bandwidth used in a little over 2 weeks. Still nothing from Apple and my videos were still accessable. So I logged into my .Mac account settings and low and behold, I didn't even come CLOSE to the 1024 GB monthly bandwidth I had. Was rather surprising to say the least. Glad I renewed.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 508

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
WOW!!!

A tera :eek:?

That's great!... I guess .Mac is not that bad after all... PHP and MySQL would make it perfect.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Is it a mistake? I just checked mine and it says the same thing.

Wish they would be as generous with the storage limit though :(

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Project said:
Is it a mistake? I just checked mine and it says the same thing.

Wish they would be as generous with the storage limit though :(

Yeah.. let's hope it's not a mistake. 1gb of storage is nice enough for me, however. :)

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
mcmillan said:
WOW!!!

A tera :eek:?

That's great!... I guess .Mac is not that bad after all... PHP and MySQL would make it perfect.
.Mac is still expensive for what you get.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
chibianh said:
depends who you ask... I don't think it's expensive at all.
I pay $7 a month for a dedicated domain name with unlimited storage and a generous 250GB bandwidth limit.

You don't get the ease of use of .Mac homepage and syncing, however.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Lacero said:
I pay $7 a month for a dedicated domain name with unlimited storage and a generous 250GB bandwidth limit.

Here's to the Crazy Ones
£50 a year I get a server with a 100MB/s line with 10TB/month cap, dual Xeon 3GHz, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD. I must admit that .Mac is convenient, if you know how, you can create a secure site with drag'n'drop features in a web browser. Not everywhere you can install .Mac on a PC or use a Mac though, tell you the truth, I know of nowhere (including uni) that will allow it.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
howesey said:
£50 a year I get a server with a 100MB/s line with 10TB/month cap, dual Xeon 3GHz, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD. I must admit that .Mac is convenient, if you know how, you can create a secure site with drag'n'drop features in a web browser. Not everywhere you can install .Mac on a PC or use a Mac though, tell you the truth, I know of nowhere (including uni) that will allow it.

I use 3 macs. 1 at work, 1 at school, and 1 at home. All three are sync'd. That's what i needed most. a .mac email address, easy file sharing, easy photo sharing, on top of a few other knick knacks make it a fine value for me. It's only $8.25/mo, or $0.27/day.. (even cheaper if you get .Mac from amazon or discounted). I think $0.27/day for convenience is not a bad deal.

For someone like you, however, I can see why .mac is 'expensive.' But you know what, I don't think Apple ever intended to target .mac towards your kind anyway. ;)

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Hm, I just bought .mac today and it only gives me 10gb bandwidth. Any ideas people?

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Lacero said:

Here's to the Crazy Ones
See that to me is the fundamental flaw, people look at .mac and go 'Web Host' whereas it really does offer much more than that. Personally I find the iCal and Address book syncing invaluable (though I'd prefer entourage but not to worry...there are work arounds to that ;))

A great purchase in my mind.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
confirmation

IS there any confirmation that storage and or bandwidth has been increased?
Will this be the Thursday announcemennt?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
well i opted for the full monty :)

plan on hosting some big files on Dotmac this month

o sorry about the windows i'm at work at the mo:rolleyes:

Attachments

• screngrab.jpg
    screngrab.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 103

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
My biggest complaint about .Mac is that you cannot separately password-protect different folders for direct iDisk access, it's either all on one password, or it's all off. I'd like to use different folders for different clients (or friends) to access, but until I can assign independent passwords to each, I can't do that.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
IanC said:
I think it goes up if it has to.
Oh really?
accountinfo.jpg

servicestatus.jpg

You know, because I'm pretty sure it would be nice if it went up. ;)
I mean, what is it that's the diff between having 10gb and 1tb? I'm a cheapass and get the .mac retail activation boxes when they're $69 or whatever at the Apple Store or online (amazon..) and things like that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.