Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeyinsd

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2007
in a condo
I don't know why that has to be, but it seems to be the case. I've taken my MacBook Pro into the Mac Store twice for dvd/cd drive repair, and each time the internal drive was just replaced - no inspection, no cleaning; it wasn't worth it.

Now that my Apple Care plan has expired, and my internal drive is on the blink again, I'm looking for an external drive, thanks mostly to reading that recommended here. I've found this one at the link below, and amazon is great about taking things back if they don't work as advertised, and this one has free shipping to you and back to them if you need to return it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P5C9S0/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The same item is for sale online at the Mac Store U.S.

I thought I'd try cleaning the drive first, as that was suggested to me by a salesman at the Mac Store, but the drive won't accept the cleaner disc!

I have an older mbp and the same thing with mine. I just spray compressed air into the drive port with the extendo stick and it usually works for a while. at least then it'll accept the cleaner disc and i'm good to go for a while.

joneve

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
LaCie external drive...

I bought this one presented on amazon.com and the Apple nationwide site:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=5336090759-20

As a plug & play this dvd drive works for me. It's external and I hope it will last awhile. I've had good experience with a LaCie backup drive, using it with Time Machine.

But the Roxio Toast software that comes with this external dvd drive isn't worth downloading I think, especially for a Mac, which has an easy-to-use burn option in its Desktop File menu and iDVD. The Roxio Toast software that comes with the burner is "basic" and anything not "basic" requires anther $80 paid to Roxio to upgrade to interesting features. I gave up trying to get LightScribe to work - just not worth the hassle.

I had hoped to get a burner with the UDF (Universal Disk Format) option, so that video cd's and dvd's I make can be viewed on a TV set, not just on my computer. Although the LaCie User's Manual says this UDF option is available, I can't find it. I wrote tech support and got a reply asking me what software I'm using. I replied and haven't heard back yet. I've read rather dismal reviews about the software downloads working on a Mac. I think I may have bought an external burner that will do what my internal burner does, but better -- that is, the LaCie external burner will accept both my blank and written disks much better (already proven to be the case) and will last longer. I will post again when I hear back from LaCie Support.

Note to Mikeyinsd: I have tried blowing out my internal dvd burner drive with compressed air several times, as you suggested, but the drive just won't take the cleaning disk. The internal disk drive was replaced 8 months ago and has had moderate use. The LaCie external burner will take the cleaning disk though. Thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited:

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
portable and cheaper, don't be fooled by joneve (sorry)

Something inside me cringes when someone buys an expensive and inconvenient replacement device (assuming for laptop). [joneve] Why pay $90 for that desktop size burner inserted into an enclosure? If you are going that route, save $10 and get Apple's superdrive: tiny and sleek, and only usb powered! I would even say make it a wash and pay for the return shipping and send that LaCie back to Amazon (and then get the superdrive). Side note, perhaps you were going for speed: couldn't find "301484U" on LaCie's website to get actual specs, but be weary about the 22x advertisement (in comparison to Apple's advertised 6x or 8x DVD burning)--that sounds like a CD burn speed (i.e. albeit *OLD* firewire connection (which won't work for new MacBooks without a converter cable) and "22x" in Amazon's title, its DVD burn speed may still be 6x or 8x, like the superdrive).

For most others who are on this rumor site (who are searching for the same question about "apple compatible burner" because they don't want to pay Apple prices), go back through the posts for cheaper solutions.

Nothing personal joneve; and correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

joneve

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Universal Disk Format (UDF) disk creation on a MAC OS 10.3 and later

I received this reply from LaCie on how to do this:

Mac OS 10.3 or later has the ability to burn CDs and DVDs directly from a Finder window. The easiest way to do this is through a "Burn Folder". Follow the procedure below to do this.

1. From the Finder Menu bar, click File, then New Burn Folder. A new folder will appear in the Finder window focused on, or on the desktop if there are no windows open.

2. Drag-and-drop files into the burn folder, and click the burn button in the upper-right corner of the Window.

3. A prompt will appear requesting a blank CD or DVD. This disc can be placed in any connected drive capable of burning a disc. There is no configuration required to specify which drive to use.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not erase or otherwise try to manipulate the files that are being burned while the burn is in progress.

(I had not found this in any of the Help sections on my computer. It works.)

Note to Hunter3740: Thank you for this information. I can't say you're wrong because I haven't tried what you are suggesting. If I had read what you've written above before I bought my external burner I'm pretty sure I would have tried what you suggest. It sounds good. I have something that works now, though, and only so much time. Should anything go wrong, I will refer to your info. above.
p.s.: the 22x with my external burner makes a nice speed upgrade for me - I've used it to burn two dvd's so far.

Note to zen.state: With all due respect for your know-how, this is an open forum, not for (mean-spirited) experts only; and I doubt very much that the information I've posted is already known by 99% of Mac users.

Note to Zeap: This is important information for Mac users to have if it is correct. Can you support with external references what you say about LaCie using Samsung burners and jacking up the price? If so, please post the links.

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I received this reply from LaCie on how to do this:

Mac OS 10.3 or later has the ability to burn CDs and DVDs directly from a Finder window. The easiest way to do this is through a "Burn Folder". Follow the procedure below to do this.

1. From the Finder Menu bar, click File, then New Burn Folder. A new folder will appear in the Finder window focused on, or on the desktop if there are no windows open.

2. Drag-and-drop files into the burn folder, and click the burn button in the upper-right corner of the Window.

3. A prompt will appear requesting a blank CD or DVD. This disc can be placed in any connected drive capable of burning a disc. There is no configuration required to specify which drive to use.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not erase or otherwise try to manipulate the files that are being burned while the burn is in progress.

(I had not found this in any of the Help sections on my computer. It works.)

Things that 99% of Mac users know very well...

Did you know the sky is blue and turns dark at night?

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Wow. I cringe at the thought of paying $90 for a $20 Samsung 22x DVD burner (easy to spot because of the round eject button) inside a $20 external case. LaCie doesn't make drives of any kind, they put their name on external cases and charge double the price of either part separately.

It used to amaze me ten years ago to see externals going for double the rate. In 2011 I find it simply mind-blowing.

At least the Apple 'super-drive' is a slot-loader and the case has a decent design for the price.

joneve

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
The Apple external DVD writer

djellison

"Ironically, you could go and buy almost any external DVD writer and it would work in any modern Mac...
..except the external DVD writer that Apple themselves make, which works in only 2 of the 15 standard spec Mac's currently available."

Thank you for this information.

I've been reading about the Apple external writer and the reviews are dismal for an Apple product. It doesn't sound any better than the internal drive for the MacBook Pro. Why isn't Apple - with the best computer in the world (in my opinion) - offering something better? But then it offers MobileMe too...which sells 20GB and delivers (and not too well) 1GB in fact. Maybe all Apple departments are not well-connected...something is wrong.

Update: As of 4/18/11, my LaCie external dvd burner is working fine, with high speed burning for both dvd's and cd's.

Last edited:

petrina68

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
External DVD CD Burner

Just bought a Super Multi LG GE24 from Best Buy for $74.99, works like a dream with my MacBook Pro and iDVD, no problems, easy set up. Nice solid casing. My main reason was to find one that read IDVD from my Mac and after many hours of searching Forums etc., as it looked like I was going to have problems with the compatibility, it works like a Dream. Just saying :)

darthmullet

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
Something inside me cringes when someone buys an expensive and inconvenient replacement device (assuming for laptop). [joneve] Why pay $90 for that desktop size burner inserted into an enclosure? If you are going that route, save $10 and get Apple's superdrive: tiny and sleek, and only usb powered! I would even say make it a wash and pay for the return shipping and send that LaCie back to Amazon (and then get the superdrive). Side note, perhaps you were going for speed: couldn't find "301484U" on LaCie's website to get actual specs, but be weary about the 22x advertisement (in comparison to Apple's advertised 6x or 8x DVD burning)--that sounds like a CD burn speed (i.e. albeit *OLD* firewire connection (which won't work for new MacBooks without a converter cable) and "22x" in Amazon's title, its DVD burn speed may still be 6x or 8x, like the superdrive).

For most others who are on this rumor site (who are searching for the same question about "apple compatible burner" because they don't want to pay Apple prices), go back through the posts for cheaper solutions.

Nothing personal joneve; and correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that spending $90 for the replacement drive, whatever type, is too much. However, I have had enough bad experience with Apple slot loading drives to know that I won't go that route ever again, regardless of price.

And there's the inferior specs: 22x is a correct spec for many DVD burners, my 16x takes about 4 minutes. Apples drive is considerably slower, more like 10 minutes for a DVD. CD speeds for many drives are in the 40x-52x range, again much faster than the slot loading Apple drive (24x). Yes, this is a legitimate comparison. Remember, you're comparing a SLOT LOADING drive which has to fit everything in a much smaller space and has a lot less power to work with.

I'll stick with my LG replacement drives (has lightscribe too, which I've really come to like) for $40, and I'll keep recommending them to others.

gholmes1936

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2003
Austin, Texas
slim and usb powered and cheaper (at $32)--and comes with Nero 9 (for the Windows peeps!); the Samsung SE-S084 (Mac Compatible) is up to SE-S084F (i.e. my previous post for for the SE-S084C, but as it goes with technology, prices do come down for newer stuff!):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151231

only issue would be for the older Macbook Pro that have one usb port on either side (as this needs both USB plugged in for burning power)--tight fit, but you can do it!

I just got one today from amazon and it will not write a CD using the finder or my Toast application.

les24preludes

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
I have a question about error correction. I have a Samsung SE-S084 external DVD-R for my Mac Mini 2011 and this is causing me problems. Certain CDs play grossly distorted - a kind of sputtering, overloaded shhhhh sound on top of the music. And they import into iTunes just like they play. The majority of CDs sound OK. Now, if there's an error correction problem, how do I know whether all CDs are actually importing perfectly? The distorted CDs play OK once they have been copied onto CD-R on my other Mac which has a new and good internal DVD-R player. Interesting.... what does this tell us? Is there a fault in the Samsung drive or what - where is error correction failing?

I'm assuming the Samsung is faulty with age, but I'm also wondering about error correction in general when importing into iTunes, which I use in conjunction with Audirvana+. How can I be sure that a CD that I import is importing perfectly with all the error correction optimised? Is it a question of a 100% functioning DVD-R or is it also a software issue?

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
troubleshooting your drive

The distorted CDs play OK once they have been copied onto CD-R on my other Mac which has a new and good internal DVD-R player. Interesting.... what does this tell us?

Is it a question of a 100% functioning DVD-R or is it also a software issue?

Keep it simple when it comes to trouble-shooting:
1) borrow another external drive and test on the Mac Mini (with one of the bad CDs)

2) you've already tested the would-be bad CD on a working machine (or it could sounds like you copied the would-be bad CD and the new/copied CD works, which isn't the same)

3) "the majority of CDs sound OK" = not your drive (but can't hurt to do a drive cleaning); but, the next question is: were all of the CDs made using your Mac Mini (or are only the bad ones made with your Mac Mini)? Also, is there a physical grouping of the bad CDs; i.e. are they are the same make or lot (like blue reflective Sony)?

What era are you in that you are worried about error correction settings? This stuff is automatic these days; if you are importing CDs, you can check the box: iTunes Preferences > General > Import Settings; if you are only playing, you can try Playback in Preferences and the Sound Enhancer slide bar. Don't know Audirvana+ (but I do love Audacity).

----------

I just got one today from amazon and it will not write a CD using the finder or my Toast application.

Sorry, this is a year late:
like the post I just made, keep troubleshooting simple:
1) are any music or data CDs read by the drive?
2) are you using uncoastered blank CDs; i.e. if you put your blank CD in another computer (can be Windows), does something popup about what to do with the blank CD
3) have you tried different makes; e.g. if that particular blank CD doesn't work, it may be all CDs in the stack that don't work; I've never understood that small chance, but it happens. Try a different lot.
4) does the new drive work on another machine (can be Windows)? Hopefully it's still under warranty; there's a small chance you bought a defective drive.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I've never experienced compatibility issues with external drives.

I just went to Frys and bought the least expensive external enclosure then bought a Samsung BluRay drive.

They worked perfectly first try.

notkodysmith

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
I just cant believe

that the apple Superdrive doesnt work with anything but the MBA and MAC Mini. i bought it because the drive in my 2009 macbook stopped writing data/music, and i need a cd burner. :( i guess my apple loyalty was slightly misplaced on this one

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
that the apple Superdrive doesnt work with anything but the MBA and MAC Mini. i bought it because the drive in my 2009 macbook stopped writing data/music, and i need a cd burner. :( i guess my apple loyalty was slightly misplaced on this one

Not true. I use an Apple External Superdrive with my 2009 iMac. Works great. Just issue one simple terminal command:

sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"

Then reboot and enjoy! I like how it matches the comptuer and sits neatly out of the way on the computer's foot.

notkodysmith

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Not true. I use an Apple External Superdrive with my 2009 iMac. Works great. Just issue one simple terminal command:

Then reboot and enjoy! I like how it matches the comptuer and sits neatly out of the way on the computer's foot.

really? gosh i wish i new that before i took it back. will it work with that mac forever after you issue the command? I'm sorry, i dont know alot about using terminal or anything like that.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
really? gosh i wish i new that before i took it back. will it work with that mac forever after you issue the command? I'm sorry, i dont know alot about using terminal or anything like that.

It will work until I decide to do another format/install. Then I'll just issue that command again on the fresh install.

zlifer

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
using superdrive w mac desktop

i have no idea what "issue simple terminal command" means! if you can explain simply that would be very helpful. would like the option of using a superdrive vs. some other brand ext optical drive, now that the int drive is having problems ejecting discs.

thanks.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

i have no idea what "issue simple terminal command" means! if you can explain simply that would be very helpful. would like the option of using a superdrive vs. some other brand ext optical drive, now that the int drive is having problems ejecting discs.

thanks.

Using Spotlight, search on the word "terminal". It should list an application titled "Terminal", select it from the search results to execute Terminal. It will bring up a window that allows you to issue text based commands to the computer.

In the Terminal window type: sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1" followed by return. It should ask for your password to permit the command to execute. Then restart your computer and the Superdrive should be usable.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
This is interesting. Could this be an OS limitation? I was thinking about putting this drive into a Mac mini G4. I assume your Powerbook G4 has a similar PATA interface. I am running Leopard on my G4 mini. I wonder if that will make a difference.

The "Toshiba TS-L632" or R6TR06 by AGPtek does NOT work with the PowerBook G4 (Running Mac OS 10.4); just FYI.

The drive appears in the system profiler as a USB to IDE device, but putting any disk in the drive doesn't mount.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2013
any update?

ok so its 2014...... still looking for a good cd/dvd drive for rmbp. seen a lot of samsung "Samsung USB 2.0 Ultra Portable External DVD Writer Model SE-218CB/RSBS"

Also

"Aluminum External USB DVD+RW,-RW Super Drive for Apple--MacBook Air, Pro, iMac, Mini" by SEA TECH

toxicdrift

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
only issue i have is that most of these external dvd burners have two usb ports needed to function properly - and the new rmbp has only one port on each side.. so ive been looking for drives that run via a single usb connection :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
toxic wrote above:
[[ only issue i have is that most of these external dvd burners have two usb ports needed to function properly - and the new rmbp has only one port on each side.. so ive been looking for drives that run via a single usb connection ]]

I have a late-2012 Mac Mini and I'm using the Samsung SE-506B BluRay/DVD burner for more than a year now.

It runs fine with a -single- USB cable, and has never needed more than that.

I believe the above model has since been superseded by an SE-506C model...

toxicdrift

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
ordered a lenovo db80 , should get it by tomorrow, fingers crossed haha

Attachments

• LCU-101817906_Sell01_Bsg_ec_8568095.jpg
    LCU-101817906_Sell01_Bsg_ec_8568095.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 410
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.