Mac computer not auto-connecting to wireless router

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by redhawk87, Apr 8, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hey all,

I recently posted in the iPhone forum about my iPhone 5 (and my gf's iPhone 4) not connecting to my wireless G router. We recently moved and are using a different router than what I was previously using. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1563288

Now I have noticed that my Macbook Pro running Mac os X Mountain Lion is also not auto-connecting to the wireless network. My gf's Dell running Windows 7 does auto connect (or at least she says it does...). Is this a problem with my router or is it a greater Apple problem? I tried resetting my router and it does not help. I have never had this issue before with my computer. Any tips or any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. satcomer, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

macrumors 601

satcomer

One: Download the free application iStumbler beta (it work in 10.8.x) and see if your wireless router is on the same channel as others around you. If it is the same, change the channel in YOUR wireless router to be different.

Two: Open System Preferences->Network pane, Advanced button and it the Advanced drop-down clear all the Preferred points and reconnect to your wireless network.

Three: Consider using a third party DNS server like Google Public DNS or OpenDNS. IMHO most ISPs really know little to nothing about DNS.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I will try that when I get back home and report back if it works. I moved from a house to an apartment and my computer picks up like 8 different signals

4. thread starter macrumors regular

It turns out the profile for my router was already saved in my list of networks in the network pane but it said I had no password set. I just manually added the network back in with a password and now I can reconnect with my computer. Still have the issue with my iPhone. Thanks for your help!