Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesadrian

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Rochester, NY 14626
I purchased on line and downloaded 10.7.4, so I don't have the disk. How do I get the development tools for this version? How can I tell if they are already in the current installation?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
jim@futurebeacon.com

Last edited:

jamesadrian

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Rochester, NY 14626
jw,

Thank you for this information. I discovered that I have Xcode 4.2.3 but the terminal window can't find gcc. Is there something else I need to do?

Jim Adrian

I just downloaded the update to Xcode 4.5 and the terminal window still can't find gcc. How does one make a source code file called xor.c into an executable file?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
jim@futurebeacon.com

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Open Xcode and go to Preferences. Click on the "Downloads" tab across the top, and look for "Command Line Tools". Install that, and you should be able to use gcc and the other command line tools.

jW

jamesadrian

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Rochester, NY 14626
Open Xcode and go to Preferences. Click on the "Downloads" tab across the top, and look for "Command Line Tools". Install that, and you should be able to use gcc and the other command line tools.

jW

It worked!!!

Thank you so very much for your help.

Jim Adrian

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Sure. I forgot about the last part because it's been a while since I did this myself.

jW

jamesadrian

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Rochester, NY 14626
Sure. I forgot about the last part because it's been a while since I did this myself.

jW

Now that I can compile C source code with gcc to produce an executable program that will run in the OS X terminal window, can I place this program on my desktop and have it run from there so that the user need not be familiar with the terminal window? What kind of programming would that take? Do I need to ask this question of another MacRumors forum?

Thanks.

Jim Adrian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.