Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
O.K. i have been trying all day to get another os (besides os x) on my ibook g4. I want any mac os, using an emulator please tell me the best way to do this, step by step. PLEASE!

Thanks!
TheMacGuy

TheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
no, dont get me wrong my favorite os is 10.4.6 - I just want to see what apple did in the 80s and 90s,

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
TheMacGuy said:
O.K. i have been trying all day to get another os (besides os x) on my ibook g4. I want any mac os, using an emulator please tell me the best way to do this, step by step. PLEASE!

Thanks!
TheMacGuy
Strange question. You can install Virtual PC or Guest PC and run any Intel-compatible OS. You can install any of several PPC-compatible distributions of Linux. However, you can run virtually every Linux app on Darwin. Of course, the Darwin port of BSD is already installed on your computer. This will allow you to run most Unix apps.

It might help to be a little more specific about what you want to do.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
MisterMe said:
Strange question. You can install Virtual PC or Guest PC and run any Intel-compatible OS. You can install any of several PPC-compatible distributions of Linux. However, you can run virtually every Linux app on Darwin. Of course, the Darwin port of BSD is already installed on your computer. This will allow you to run most Unix apps.

It might help to be a little more specific about what you want to do.

wants to see Apple from 90s and 80s.. which is mostly 68k emulators and for running OS 9/8(PPC only) and the PPC System 7

No help here, but i'm sure there are some App, but you might need a copy of the OS

and it seem Apple offer , "System 7.0.1, and System 7.5.3 as well as the System 7.5.5 Update have been available as free downloads for legacy Macintosh users and those who want to emulate the older Mac OS."

From WikiPedia links
http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...ates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/.
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
You mean like emulate old apple an old OS?
There is an Apple ][c emulator, and stuff like that, or you can emulate "classic," but I think that will only do OS 9.

TheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
sorry....

i would like to run mac os 1 through 9 - how do i do that?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
TheMacGuy said:
sorry....

i would like to run mac os 1 through 9 - how do i do that?

For the record Apple started calling there operatign system Mac OS, during system 7(it was called System before that) They had System 6 and 7, Mac OS 8/9/X. As for before that,well i'm not sure what they called it

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
http://emulation.victoly.com/macintosh/

Is a great place to start.

My suggestion is to go with SheepShaver or Basilisk II for OS X. However, you'll have to find the machine ROMs on your own as I highly doubt it's legal to link to them from here.

zap2 said:
For the record Apple started calling there operatign system Mac OS, during system 7(it was called System before that) They had System 6 and 7, Mac OS 8/9/X. As for before that,well i'm not sure what they called it

Mac OS 7.6 was the first OS branded under the Mac OS label, I believe. System 7 (7.0 to 7.5.5) was the first to drop the Software moniker and anything prior to 7 was System Software (number). Although, I use System 7 to refer to anything from 7.0 to 7.6.1 (last release, I believe).

TheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
could someone take me step by step to using Basilisk II? I have no clue what to do!

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Read the HowTo (command-question mark) in the Help Menu. After reading that, you should have a general gist of what's going on.

Essentially it comes down to about three things:

You need a virtual hard drive -- you can create this in the preferences.

You need a 68k-based machine ROM (either a Mac IIci or a Quadra 900 ROM) that the earlier OSes relied upon. You will have to find this on your own. You can set its path in the preferences under "Emulation."

You need install media. You can use images, and zap2 previously linked you to System 7.5.3 install images.

I attached some screenshots of my preferences setup and a five minute setup (on an Intel mac no less. :)) -- the boot floppy I'm using is the one linked to in the Help files. Being that the System 7.5.3 images were parts, I converged them into one single image that was mountable. The final screenshot is after the install.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.