Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colormesilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
For the past few months I've been experiencing a weird noise coming from my mac. It sounds like a fan is running, then it stops, then it starts up again, and it's fairly loud.. and annoying. It sounds like a slight skipping/scuffing sound. It used to be a very quiet machine.

Well yesterday I put a dvd in to watch a movie. And it started to pause then play, then pause again. Then it froze. So I turned off the computer and took out the dvd manually and tried starting it up again, and the mac turned on, but my monitor stayed blank.

I haven't experienced any weird freezing or lag before this, so I'm wondering if it's a HD issue?

The monitor is plugged in as well as everything else. The mac just won't start up. There's power going to it, because it does turn on, but it doesn't start the OS. Nothing loads, not even the mac jingle that usually plays.
Oh also, the power light doesn't come on (I do have a colored usb cable that lights up, proving there's power at least going to the machine).

I'm dreading that it's a hard drive failure.
Any help is much appreciated :)

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I don't know what it is, but it isn't the HDD. If the HDD was dead, it would turn on, but you would get a little blinking folder with a ? in it. I will guess it is the logic board or power supply.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If fan stopped working and your QS doesn't play "chime" sound anymore, it's possible that CPU is fried.

colormesilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Both fans Are running.
The mac still won't power up (power to it, but won't start OS).
There is No chime also.

So it may be the CPU? If I was to replace it, would I just switch them out and should the machine start up? Or do I have to install software or something like that. I've never adding or switched out anything on this mac before.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.