1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Mac G5 Software update server

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by codman1004, Jun 25, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I have a mac G5 tower, I would like to run a software update server on my home network. I run lots of updates for my school off of laptops. I have found a mac script that changes the update location to a server. Can I turn my mac G5 tower, using this script in to a software update server. Thanks

2. macrumors 68000

Those scripts are meant to interface with a Macintosh running Mac OS X Server, which has Software Update Server as a feature of the OS. If you upgrade your G5 to Mac OS X Server, it should be able to host software updates for the rest of your machines to use via Software Update, which you would configure using that script. A cheaper way of doing this is to just use it as a file dump with copies of all the Combo Updates from Apple Support in a shared folder and just run those locally as a copy of the folder on your G5, however what you describe requires your G5 to be upgraded to Mac OS X Server.

3. macrumors 65816

adcx64

Is it already running Mac OS X Server?

4. macrumors member

How do I get a list of mac updates and a download link and would there be softare other than mac os x server that would do this for me?

Thanks Also the computer is running mac 10.5.8.

5. macrumors 68000

You don't get a list of Mac Updates, you just have to run Software Update and work out exactly what updates you think youll need (So I have OS X 10.0.4 Combo, 10.1.5 Combo, 10.2.8 Combo, 10.3.9 Combo, 10.4.11 Combo, 10.5.8 Combo and 10.6.7 Combo as well as the updates to iLife '06 that I noted from software update just as I know those are the files I need to update most of my macs to something thats roughly current for that system).

And no, you need Mac OS X Server to use the Software Update Server functionality that is built into Mac OS X Server, and to integrate this into Software Update on regular Mac OS X.