Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bruiser05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago
Does anyone know, if or when Apple is going to come out with a Mac G6 or something similar? Does anyone think that they are just going to continue to revise the G5? I've been waiting to finally upgrade my G4 that I got in '99 and hope that this will finally happen.
Thanks.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Does anyone know, if or when Apple is going to come out with a Mac G6 or something similar? Does anyone think that they are just going to continue to revise the G5? I've been waiting to finally upgrade my G4 that I got in '99 and hope that this will finally happen.
Thanks.

Umm...Apple has moved away from PowerPC chips to Intel chips.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Apple isn't going to do either one. They have ditched PowerPC processors altogether in favor of Intel. So no more G5 or G6 or anything else G-related

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
He's pulling your chain. Apple has made a switch to intel chips, G5 was the last Power PC chip.

http://www.everymac.com/index.html

this website gives you a pretty good breakdown of what the current/previous models are. As does apple.com

Keep in mind that the PowerMac is now the Mac Pro, the Powerbook is the Macbook Pro, etc.

JNB

macrumors 604
At the extreme risk of sounding gullible (I just woke up), There is and will never will be any future "G" series development on Apple's part. There hasn't even been a G5 line of Macs for quite a while now. That's the Motorola line of processors, and unless you've been in a cave for the last couple years, Apple is now entirely & exclusively Intel-based, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Bruiser05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago
I understand the naming issues of the G series, but I was really referring to the question of whether or not Apple was going to release a completely new MacPro computer or just continue to update the current style/model?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Thanks.

Apple already dumped the G5; the Xeon found in the Mac Pro is the replacement, so it's already the equivilant of a "G6".

There will never be a G6, Apple has dropped the PowerPC processors.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
I understand the naming issues of the G series, but I was really referring to the question of whether or not Apple was going to release a completely new MacPro computer or just continue to update the current style/model?

lol, no one knows for sure but the macpro is due for an update very, very, soon. so wait a little and buy after this update.

Bruiser05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago
Different body style perhaps?

Thanks for all of the comments. Also, what about a new HD screen for the computer?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002

Aesthetics are really not very important for a tower, and the Mac Pro is completely re-engineered inside. The guts of the machine really don't resemble that PowerMac G5 at all. The Mac Pro will continue to get updates, and it might get a new case design soon, but there's no reason to believe that it's going to be re-engineered again any time soon.

Bruiser05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago
Basically, I've been a long time apple user and have been waiting for a long time to buy a new mac. I'm a graphic designer and love the power of a desktop computer. Until I can't afford both a laptop and desktop. At my last job, I was fortunate to work on an Intel G5. Since I left and went freelance, my G4 works fine, but it is slow and I want something new. I'm not as technical with the terms for whats in the computers, but I would like to get the latest and greatest. I just wasn't sure if there was something entirely new on the horizon.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Basically, I've been a long time apple user and have been waiting for a long time to buy a new mac. I'm a graphic designer and love the power of a desktop computer. Until I can't afford both a laptop and desktop. At my last job, I was fortunate to work on an Intel G5. Since I left and went freelance, my G4 works fine, but it is slow and I want something new. I'm not as technical with the terms for whats in the computers, but I would like to get the latest and greatest. I just wasn't sure if there was something entirely new on the horizon.

I think you know this already, but if so you need to implement the knowledge: To avoid any more unnecessary comments and confusion by the general forum population, let's set one thing entirely clear. There is no such thing as an Intel G5. "G5" is a processor, not a type of computer. The PowerMac is a type of computer that at one point used a G5 processor. The Mac Pro is a replacement for the PowerMac, and it has never used a G5 processor. Saying "an Intel G5" is basically the same as saying "an IBM Mac," which I'm sure you wouldn't do.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX

Separate from the amount of time since the last Mac Pro update, there's nothing to indicate one is coming. Currently the latest and greatest is the 3ghz octo-core version of the Mac Pro.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Thanks.

I think Bruiser may be getting a bit anxious about Power because of things like this...

"The Power6 processor, unveiled at an event on May 21 in London, is a dual-core chip with a top clock speed of 4.7GHz. The new chip also includes 8MB of L2 cache and an internal bandwidth of 300GB per second."

It's too bad that:
1) This chip will never be put into a MacPro.
2) It will be a long time before a MacPro will be this fast.

The fastest Intel chips can only dream of the same performance the Power6 is capable of.

This really puts things in perspective for me. :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The naming of Apple's professional tower was never in line with a design, it was named after the processor. The current tower is not a G5 because it doesn't have the G5 processor in it. It looks like the old G5 but is not called a G5.

You can't be using an Intel G5. The G5 is not the tower's design, it was the processor inside it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The G naming scheme was to transition away from the silly CPU naming scheme of old -- because it was confusing for the consumer, and IBM and Motorola used different PowerPC CPU numbers.

Don't worry IBM/Freescale/Motorola are gone along with the PowerPC CPUs -- and the G-numbering scheme.

Unfortunately we do have Intel and another batch of silly names for both chipsets and CPUs -- which will confuse you.

So a little reasearch is once again required, instead of buying the G-model with the faster clock rate.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think Bruiser may be getting a bit anxious about Power because of things like this...

"The Power6 processor, unveiled at an event on May 21 in London, is a dual-core chip with a top clock speed of 4.7GHz. The new chip also includes 8MB of L2 cache and an internal bandwidth of 300GB per second."

It's too bad that:
1) This chip will never be put into a MacPro.
2) It will be a long time before a MacPro will be this fast.

The fastest Intel chips can only dream of the same performance the Power6 is capable of.

This really puts things in perspective for me. :D

Of course that chip is probably like the G5 where it runs too hot to be in a normal desktop or notebook, and uses a lot of power compared to intel chips or earlier PPC chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.