Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoketetsu

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Batman is also a great game via OS X and Feral interactive's port.. stunning graphics. :cool: :apple:

Also, Arkham Origins isn't as well rated as Arkham City. Origins has a 74 metascore and Arkham City has a 91... and is a different game by a different studio. So that's just like.. your opinion, man. Arkham Knight will be better in every way!

Last edited:

ilyasdesign37

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
Batman is also a great game via OS X and Feral interactive's port.. stunning graphics. :cool: :apple:

Also, Arkham Origins isn't as well rated as Arkham City. Origins has a 74 metascore and Arkham City has a 91... and is a different game by a different studio. So that's just like.. your opinion, man. Arkham Knight will be better in every way!

I think Arkham Origins graphics looks much better than city because you can adjust the graphics settings, with city it's limited

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I think Arkham Origins graphics looks much better than city because you can adjust the graphics settings, with city it's limited

The settings are pretty similar as far as I remember, with City you have a lot of graphics settings and options you can alter. Perhaps you didn't find the settings on City because they are in the pre game panel (Video tab) not in the game menus?

Edwin

ilyasdesign37

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
The settings are pretty similar as far as I remember, with City you have a lot of graphics settings and options you can alter. Perhaps you didn't find the settings on City because they are in the pre game panel (Video tab) not in the game menus?

Edwin

the city version you don't get GXForce High option etc

smoketetsu

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Edwin was referring to this...

c7y9.png

Yes there are GFX high settings if you enable them here... and other things like antialiasing.

If you are hardcore most UE3 engine games have even more settings you can tweak in their .ini files past what is in most in-game configuration settings.

ilyasdesign37

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
Edwin was referring to this...

Yes there are GFX high settings if you enable them here... and other things like antialiasing.

If you are hardcore most UE3 engine games have even more settings you can tweak in their .ini files past what is in most in-game configuration settings.

wow i didn't even see that option :eek:

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
None of the games I play currently are available on Mac:

- Arma 3 (several mods)
- DayZ
- Battlefield 4

So I have no choice but to bootcamp and play in Windows.

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
Computers are tools. Would you use a shovel to rake leaves? Would you use a rake to dig a hole?

Obviously not. Both a shovel and a rake are tools. Macs and PCs are both tools. PCs are optimum for gaming. You can still use a mac for gaming, but it will be a better experience for you on a PC. You can do more creative stuff on a Mac than you can on a PC. You can do creative stuff on a PC, but your experience might be better if you do creative stuff on a mac.

Make the tool do the work for you. Most tasks become easier if you use the correct tool for the job.

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
With Adobe focusing more of its Creative Suite on Windows, and Corel pretty much non-existent on Macs, this really isn't the case any more.

I was under the impression that adobe was made for macs? If what you say is true.........what is good about mac?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I was under the impression that adobe was made for macs? If what you say is true.........what is good about mac?

They were originally, but they've branched out an awful lot.
There isn't much keeping people on OSX except for a few select software packages. FCPX is one, although Apple still have a lot to do feature wise, despite it being the fastest for 4K work.

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
They were originally, but they've branched out an awful lot.
There isn't much keeping people on OSX except for a few select software packages. FCPX is one, although Apple still have a lot to do feature wise, despite it being the fastest for 4K work.

Well, this a sobering exchange.. I really like my mac for editing, and I just think that it is a really good computer. I've never been as satisfied with any PC as I have been with this one.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Well, this a sobering exchange.. I really like my mac for editing, and I just think that it is a really good computer. I've never been as satisfied with any PC as I have been with this one.

User experience and preference is a major thing though. :)

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
Exactly, until 2 years ago I was a fervent Windows user. Now I it just doesn't feel right when using Windows over OSX. :)

Yeah, I still have my old PC laptop (because I still need it because my Mac won't install some programs) and everytime I use it, I feel like I am taking like ten steps backwards.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Computers are tools. Would you use a shovel to rake leaves? Would you use a rake to dig a hole?

Obviously not. Both a shovel and a rake are tools. Macs and PCs are both tools. PCs are optimum for gaming. You can still use a mac for gaming, but it will be a better experience for you on a PC. You can do more creative stuff on a Mac than you can on a PC. You can do creative stuff on a PC, but your experience might be better if you do creative stuff on a mac.

Make the tool do the work for you. Most tasks become easier if you use the correct tool for the job.

Wow, this is an old one from the power PC days. That chip used to be better at rendering vector graphics, IIRC, and that's why the "creative" types used to hold Apple on a pedestal. But that hasn't been true for a long time, and especially since Apple went Intel.

In fact, I think Windows had the ability to use GPU processing power before OS X when doing stuff like rendering videos via CUDA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember distinctly using Windows to do my rendering, encoding, and transcoding because OS X wouldn't do it as fast with just using the CPU.

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
Wow, this is an old one from the power PC days. That chip used to be better at rendering vector graphics, IIRC, and that's why the "creative" types used to hold Apple on a pedestal. But that hasn't been true for a long time, and especially since Apple went Intel.

In fact, I think Windows had the ability to use GPU processing power before OS X when doing stuff like rendering videos via CUDA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember distinctly using Windows to do my rendering, encoding, and transcoding because OS X wouldn't do it as fast with just using the CPU.

I was just saying that some computers are better at one thing than others. In my (obviously incorrect) opinion, I use my mac for creative stuff, and my pc for other other stuff. I believed that to be slightly universally true, but I have been corrected.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I was just saying that some computers are better at one thing than others. In my (obviously incorrect) opinion, I use my mac for creative stuff, and my pc for other other stuff. I believed that to be slightly universally true, but I have been corrected.

I used mine for creative work as well (Adobe CS2). I've been out of that job for almost a year, yet I have little desire to switch back to Windows. With Boot Camp, I get the best of both worlds, though I still prefer to be in OS X as much as possible.

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
I used mine for creative work as well (Adobe CS2). I've been out of that job for almost a year, yet I have little desire to switch back to Windows. With Boot Camp, I get the best of both worlds, though I still prefer to be in OS X as much as possible.

I think we can generally agree that it is a matter of preference? I'm sure there are ways to do things with both systems, but I like what I have, and I'm not going to change my ways because of a thread on macrumors

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012

According to this logic, the only console worth owning is the one with the most titles available to it. The other two are not suitable for the job. A Mac is just as capable as a PC for having fun on but I will concede the number of games available is less. On the other hand, depending on one's tastes with more than 1,000 titles on Steam for Mac (there are about 3,000 for PC) not to mention others like the Blizzard games, etc. which are not on Steam and there is actually plenty to keep a Mac gamer busy.

Yes, if you really want to play PC only titles and you require the highest end PC for it by all means go with a PC for that.

I think it is also important to remember that many of us do not want to own two computers. One needs to do it all and we prefer to own Macs which can still play Windows games just fine via bootcamp assuming you buy a capable Mac for gaming purposes. :D

I should add that I've found my Mac does play my favorite games just as well as any PC would. Currently I spend more time playing EverQuest (via bootcamp/Windows 7) and World of Warcraft (native Mac) than anything else and in both cases they run max at native resolution on my 27" iMac. Performance is excellent in both cases too. Granted these are not the most demanding games on the market by any means but they are what I enjoy playing. In the realm of single player stuff that is newer I might have to to turn some settings down or even lower resolution in extreme cases but this was always true for me in the PC world too. I always owned a mid-range gaming PC, never the high end. Most people don't own the high end in fact that people often love to reference in making comparisons. I sometimes like to refer people to the Steam hardware survey for a little reality check on what the typical PC user is actually playing games on. It is not the high end.

I just bring up that last point because Macs are often criticized for not being as good as PCs to game on when for their spec they absolutely are. Mac versions are often criticized too but in many cases differences are marginal and as with all game purchases, it is not hard to check for reviews and user feedback to find out how a given title might perform on one's own particular system.

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
There isn't much keeping people on OSX except for a few select software packages.

I would argue that OS X itself, Apple hardware and Apple customer service are together plenty of reason to be using OS X and enjoying the Mac experience to get your work done as well as have fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.