Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
This isn't a complete question. Do you have a format or group of formats you want to identify? Are you just wanting a string entered and to display details for the referenced item? Do you want to read a barcode with a camera? Do you want to pull your data from a "live" source or have a fixed catalog?

I'm guessing right now the answer is "really hard" because you don't mention current knowledge or skill. This could be wrong, we just don't have any data.

If you want more precision, you'll need to post a lot more details.

-Lee

fish40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
I want a customer to enter his serial number and the site will tell him how much we can offer for his Apple product.

This site has already achieved it: http://mac2cash.com

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Easy

It's quite easy to do this. There's an API for it and you have to do it as part of receipt validation when distributing your app via the App Store or distributing a signed application. Unfortunately Apple has moved the article about validation, breaking my book mark. but you should be able to find it by going to the Mac developer site and searching for the app validation / code signing guides. I'll try to find it.

fish40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
I want a site like mac2cash.com, a buyback site that uses a serial number to tell how much we can offer and what model Mac the customer has.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Then you have to build one, requiring some coding skills, or you have to pay someone to do it for you. The former we can help with if you ask specific questions and are really trying. We can't help with the latter, this isn't a consulting/coder-for-hire site.

-Lee

JohnsonK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2014
I want a site like mac2cash.com, a buyback site that uses a serial number to tell how much we can offer and what model Mac the customer has.

I don't think anyone is willing to do your job for you for free.

You have to ask specific questions, like Lee said, and I am sure many of us will be glad to help.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Is there an API to pull the data from serial numbers?

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is an official Apple provided lookup of serial numbers to product specs. Maybe you'd be better off taking another route and providing some kind of app/script to run on the Mac in question to gather the required info.

For example, the command

Code:
system_profiler -detailLevel full -xml

...should provide you with a lot of info, and from then on it should be pretty easy to extract the bits you want.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I'm not building a Mac App

Yes, I understand that.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can 'decode' a Mac's serial number and extract model information etc from it. Instead you'd need a list of serial numbers and the associated specs server side and do a look-up. As I said, I don't think Apple publishes such a list so you'd need to compile one yourself somehow, or otherwise acquire one.

That's why I suggested an alternative approach.

I'll leave you to ponder that.

elpamyelhsa

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Geraldton, Western Australia

fish40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
Yup, but you need GSX API access (https://gsx.apple.com/)

Fetch Product Model

Description: This API will fetch Product Model information for the given serial number.

Context: This API can be invoked after a valid Authentication.

Or Public Access for Model Only
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

I'm not a developer, nor will I try and act like one. Please can you tell me how I can gain access to that API or if it's even possible to pull data from Apple servers onto a public site.

~ Jay

JohnsonK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2014
I'm not a developer, nor will I try and act like one. Please can you tell me how I can gain access to that API or if it's even possible to pull data from Apple servers onto a public site.

~ Jay

You wont have access to GSX unless you're an employee of an authorized Apple service provider or a company or organization that is signed up with Apple as a self-servicing organization.

If the second link is of any use to you, you'd have to look into scraping but it may be against Apple's terms of use and if they found out, you'd be in trouble.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Jay/fish40,

If you don't know how to code you can't do any of this. You won't be able to use any API or library. You need to either commit to a long learning process or hire someone to help. None of us have any knowledge of how mac4cash maps serials to devices. It's a core part of their business, so I'm guessing they won't share details, but you could always ask. My guess is a rules database they frequently update as new products ship, but who knows.

You have an ultimate goal, running a successful website that buys and sells used macs. One step you've established you think you need is a serial number lookup. Unfortunately there are a ton of steps in between. There will be a lot of complexity that hasn't reared its head yet.

You are asking us how to make a serial lookup. The fact is, none of us know. We don't need to do it. We can speculate, but no one will build it for fun for you. It may be worth visiting a site where you can contract developers, but the task you have has ambiguities and is a bit unbounded. This means the cost is unbounded. You have a tough row to hoe. Unfortunately we just can't answer this in a simple way.

Good luck.

-Lee

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The information on how to decode both the old 11 character format and the new (introduced in 2010) 12 character format is out there, but I am not comfortable to post more, because every article on the usual Apple news sites have stuff removed and the following posted: "Information Removed at Request of Apple Legal".

You say you want to start up a site, then you mention that you have no knowledge of development. So what exactly are you trying to do by asking this question? Are you trying to figure out how much to pay a developer to do this for you, based on "how hard it is" ?

fish40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
The site wouldn't just be a decoder, there would be a back-end where I would tell the site how much that model Mac is worth. Yes, I've posted on freelance sites but not many people are knowledgeable on this subject. :confused:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The site wouldn't just be a decoder, there would be a back-end where I would tell the site how much that model Mac is worth. Yes, I've posted on freelance sites but not many people are knowledgeable on this subject. :confused:

To make a product, you need either:

- Technical skills
- Budget to pay for someone with skills

From the sound of it, you have neither.
Idea is worth nothing without the budget to execute.

pkfoneboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2015
I want a customer to enter his serial number and the site will tell him how much we can offer for his Apple product.

This site has already achieved it: http://mac2cash.com

hi did you find a programmer to make website to
enabling customers to look up model via serial number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.