Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
OSX's security? PioneerPress, you're full of crap. Kids are buying Apple because "PCs are for fart huffers and Macs get you laid."
This actually isn't untrue (in other words, it could be true:p). Macs are very good looking...it isn't hard to imagine how their appeal lies outside of "the software."
Back in the day Apple gave hefty student discounts. Are they still giving deep discounts to students?

Not so much anymore. About $100. The discount also applies to faculty and staff.

As for how students afford Macs, at least at Princeton when I was an undergrad, if you were on financial aid (and FYI, many students here are not affluent and on financial aid), you automatically qualified for a loan to buy a machine. However they are getting them, they are all over the place. I currently work at the IT department for Princeton and right outside my door is one of the students' favored study areas. I have seen that little Apple logo multiply over the years like a bunny.

It seems that the discount has remained the same for the past four years or so (about $100 off of macbooks/iBooks and $200 off mbps/Powerbooks), but different schools give different bonuses for buying from their university stores. For example, a few posters have mentioned being able to get their macbooks for the standard $100 off retail, but it included an Applecare extension(up to three years) and software like Office or sometimes even an Adobe app (this of course, depends on the school one is in).

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I'm a first year law student in Nebraska. My universitie's "official" policy is that Macs are not supported. However, I'm in class right now attempting to listen to Civil Procedure and I spot 4 Macbook Pros, 5 or 6 Macbooks and I'm going to buy my MB Pro as soon as Leopard is released. There are about 80 or 90 students in my class.

Our lawschool requires Windows to use the test-taking software (no more writing out 10 page final exams in a bluebook), otherwise Macs would probably be more prominent. I believe the release of Leopard and Bootcamp will allow a new wave of Macs in law schools.

Even lawyers may be changing their ways to Mac....that is saying something!
I'm a 3rd year law student here in MN. Macs are not supported either, and our exam software is SoFTest, so we need Windows to run it. However, in my class there are probably 7-8 people with a Mac, and we all plan on using Boot Camp come finals time. I'm the only one with a MBP though, they all have lowly Macbooks :p

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well, I fail to see why that software would be better than free, open-source software. It CAN be of course, but being closed does not automatically mean that it's better.

You are correct - shining examples of this include Apache's web server and Linux itself.

Speaking out of my experiences as a former desktop Linux user, though, one big problem that often hits "free" software is that the developers of many projects lose interest, often specifically because of the lack of remuneration, and the software stagnates and dies. Sometimes a project later recovers, thanks to a new developer or developers - examples are Enlightenment and Pidgin (the IM program formerly known as Gaim). But, more often, the project just sits and stagnates. This is not a problem I've ever run into with true commercial software.

blashphemy

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2006
I can honestly say I'm not surprised, it makes a ton of sense for college students to get OS X for reasons that we are all intricately aware of. However, I'm going to get a Wintel for one reason: tablet functionality. The IBM Thinkpad X60 tablet just makes so much more sense for taking notes that its even getting me not to get a Mac.

Of course, if Apple does make a proper Tablet PC by this summer, when I graduate, needless to say I will be the first person in the Apple retail store the next morning :D this is my point, really though: Apple needs to focus on the education market and make a Tablet PC so that there will be virtually 0 reason to not get a mac for college students; get Apple to focus on education.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
How about a whole school of Macs:

http://www.apple.com/uk/education/profiles/bryanston/

Just found this on the Apple website - a school in the UK that runs their whole kit and caboodle on Apple :D

Quote from page 3 of the article:

++++++++++
This kind of [product] stability has enabled us to push the boundaries of educational technology. As far as we’re concerned, the products coming out of Apple allow us to say, ‘The reason we use this stuff is because it’s good.’
++++++++++

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
IMO, it'll take a while for Macs to get a considerable larger total market share. Right now, I believe Macs have 5-6% market share, while Windows has something like 90%. A lot of people will will get PCs because "Well, most of the world is a WIndows world so I might as well fit in." With Leopard & Boot Camp, it should help bring some more people over.

As for security, having such a small market share is a good thing in some respects b/c it lets us Mac users have security by obscurity. So basically, why would you want to hack a computer platform w/ only 5-6% market share when there's a platform w/ 90%? If/when Macs get more market share, don't be surprised to see more malware, people trying to hack, et al, Macs.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
You are correct - shining examples of this include Apache's web server and Linux itself.

Speaking out of my experiences as a former desktop Linux user, though, one big problem that often hits "free" software is that the developers of many projects lose interest, often specifically because of the lack of remuneration, and the software stagnates and dies. Sometimes a project later recovers, thanks to a new developer or developers - examples are Enlightenment and Pidgin (the IM program formerly known as Gaim). But, more often, the project just sits and stagnates. This is not a problem I've ever run into with true commercial software.

I agree. Open source has the opportunity to have anyone and everyone be able to edit the code. Yet, w/o pay, there's very little motive to do it other than just the love of it. For commercial software, only a set group of people get to see the code, but the $$ is there. In some ways, it would help to have open source that you have to pay for, just to give incentive to do it.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Imagine what will happen if 92% of the world’s personal computer population consists of Apple machines. Will a similar problem as in the Windows world emerge? Will Apple fall victim to the same lame practices? In other words; is this a blessing or potential curse? :confused:

If Apple gains a 92% world share I'll be a multi-millionaire due to the value AAPL will reach ...so bring it on :D

tpouliot

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Macs going corporate

Without any official support by our IT department, my company of ~60K people...20% of them are now using a MacBook/Pro. I hear they are going to start offering them as an official device.

The only downfall right now is Exchange...I hope leopard helps out with this or I may have to dump Mail.app + GroupCal for Entourage 2008 for better Outlook / calendaring integration...uggg.

I do have Parallels, but use maybe once a month for stupid websites that say IE is the only supported browser and exits.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
On MacBreak Weekly a few weeks ago, Merlin Mann made a very interesting observation. What would be the Mac's market share if we looked only at personal (rather than business) computers? In other words, people who buy the computer they want to use, versus what is on their desk at the office. The analogy he made was leading car figures (Ford leading in overall sales, versus Toyota leading for family car (i.e. taking out fleet sales, rentals, etc.).

I've often wondered what percentage of home computers are Macs. Since Apple hasn't made much headway into the enterprise market, the total sales figures for pcs are heavily weighted towards business purchases.

What I'd like to see is an hourly breakdown of browser usage. I'll bet a lot more Macs are browsing the internet in the evenings than during business hours.

quik

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Montreal (Canada)
Just this year at UQAM (Montreal), most of people use MacBooks and MBPs!

I even saw an old PowerBook G4 :)

With the great discount + free iPod, there's really no reason to NOT buy an Apple laptop anymore...

I already converted some friends :)

METOO999

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
At my college in NY, I see a lot of Macbooks on the laps and desks of kids. Also, the library has a borrowing system where you can get a PC laptop or a Macbook, and they tout the Windows/OS X-dual boot ability of the Macbook for people who need it. Ah, progress.

About laptops in lecture halls, one of my profs banned them in his class because one day with a guest speaker, he sat in the back and noticed lots of students playing games instead of taking notes (shocker).

alansky

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
Marin County, CA
These numbers are much higher than the general population, in which Mac marketshare numbers have been hovering around 5-6%.

But most all of these college students presumably have parents who are the ones actually paying for all these computers. It's hard to imagine how the computer preferences of this army of well-educated young people could fail to have a significant impact on the future buying habits of their families.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
My company stripped all the Games off our Dells (we use XP). If they were on, no one would get any work done. I would expect over half of the kids toggle back and forth between notes and something else.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Imagine what will happen if 92% of the world’s personal computer population consists of Apple machines. Will a similar problem as in the Windows world emerge? Will Apple fall victim to the same lame practices? In other words; is this a blessing or potential curse? :confused:

Yes it would, It would probably be worse then Microsoft if Apple got 92% Market share. Apple controls the hardware and software... Huge Market share like that will cut down on innovation of hardware as well in software. This is what I see for fair market share.

Linux 15% It has less polish then the other Major OS's but being free, stable and working on different hardware will be it biggest plus.

Apple 35% At this Market Share amount the fact that you need to get Apple Hardware and Software will be it major limiting factor.

Windows 40% It will still be the market leader but with much stronger competition, There will be more focus on making itself better and tighter to keep the lead. The fact that it runs on different hardware and its polish will keep it at number one but at greatly reduced level.

Others 10% The other BSD and OS's being that they play friendly with Apple and Linux (Unix and Unix like OSs) will get some market share because people need something more custom for their needs.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
It's completely true - and Macs aren't seen as just for artsy majors any more. I go to a big Pac-10 school (U of A) and there are tons of powerbooks/MBPs on campus. My roommate is an optical engineering major and he switched to a Mac last year. He has to run all of his programs in Bootcamp, but when he's doing personal things, he only uses OS X.

To those who said a Macbook would be sufficient enough for taking notes as opposed to a MBP - that's correct, but parents are buying their kids what they want. The MBP is "pretty" - and they get it, even though they don't need it. College students have wealthy parents nowadays, at least here at Arizona (mostly California kids) empowered by their parents. I've seen two Lamborghini Murcialagos, three Ferrari F430s and a slew of Range Rovers, M5s and SL55 AMGs on campus. I'm not rich, but a hell of a lot of students are.

krunk

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
offwidafairies and MacBsct, specifically post that students buy Macs to look cool.

In my humble experience, coolness is a fringe benefit. The majority of folks I've personally converted were not impressed by the "cool factor" at all. In fact, the number one (empty) retort they would give is "I don't buy computers cause they look cool, I buy them to get the job done" etc., etc.

How did I convert these folks who thought macs were all flash and no substance? Easy. I loaned them my iBook for a week or so. (I have several computers between work and home).

My own parents are a perfect example. They are both older and the windows learning curve was not easy for them. They worked hard to understand this new technology and were downright put off at even the idea of having to learn a completely new way of doing things...at least in their view, it being a completely new operating system that looked very different to a computer amateur based solely on appearances.

When I moved further away and began working more, troubleshooting their windows machine was a huge PITA. Don't give them admin accounts? Their anti-virus wouldn't work properly, my father couldn't play the RTS games he'd become fond of, etc etc. I delivered an ultimatum: Let me buy you a mac or no more support. They caved.

3 weeks later my mother called and told me switching was the best thing I'd ever had her do. Said she always felt like she was struggling just to figure out how to do things in windows whereas in osx it seemed to work the way she thought it would. Now she has time to learn how to do things with her computer rather then just learning her computer. She has her own blog, photo collections, downloads music instead of going to the store, the list goes on.

She still knows next to nothing about computers. But oddly enough, if you looked at what she does *with* her computer...you'd think she was solidly intermediate and almost geeky.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Yes. Apple has mindshare at schools and universities. MacBooks, Macbook Pros, Mac Pros, iMacs, iPods. So the question remains. WHERE IS YOUR DAMN HEAD APPLE?!?! Good god man. E-books! E-books! E-books!
Instead of carrying 15 tons of books you have a ebook reader that links to the iText Media Store which in turn links to your school's bookstore. And e-reader.com might I suggest. Someone please bean Jobs in the head with this idea ASAP. I frankly don't give a flying [beep] about the iPhone. You want to change the world? Kill the paperback and let me download RSS feeds in the morning to read on my iText on my way to work. There is a revolution waiting, and it ain't with the damn iPhone.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Yes. Apple has mindshare at schools and universities. MacBooks, Macbook Pros, Mac Pros, iMacs, iPods. So the question remains. WHERE IS YOUR DAMN HEAD APPLE?!?! Good god man. E-books! E-books! E-books!
Instead of carrying 15 tons of books you have a ebook reader that links to the iText Media Store which in turn links to your school's bookstore. And e-reader.com might I suggest. Someone please bean Jobs in the head with this idea ASAP. I frankly don't give a flying [beep] about the iPhone. You want to change the world? Kill the paperback and let me download RSS feeds in the morning to read on my iText on my way to work. There is a revolution waiting, and it ain't with the damn iPhone.

Yes, I have thought of this very often. With the advent of ‘digital ink’ it should be feasible. But I still don’t find it comfortable reading from a tablet. I like holding a book, magazine or newspaper in my hands. I know the iReader (pun intended) is the future, why waste tons of natural resources if you can distribute all written content by electronic means? But still, I like my books. :D

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Yes, I have thought of this very often. With the advent of ‘digital ink’ it should be feasible. But I still don’t find it comfortable reading from a tablet. I like holding a book, magazine or newspaper in my hands. I know the iReader (pun intended) is the future, why waste tons of natural resources if you can distribute all written content by electronic means? But still, I like my books. :D

I like books too. Even though about half of our weekly readings are currently distrubted online, I still print them out and read them. Something about good old fashioned paper and ink just makes reading easier. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.