Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markeus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Hi I'm looking for a media player that will play .wmv files on my mac.. is there a generally good media player for mac? the default quicktime doesnt seem to support enough file formats.. thanks

koswo

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Belgium
I use iTunes for music.
For .wmv files I still use Windows Media Player for Mac because Flip4Mac won't playback large wmv files.
And for all the other type of video files I use VLC Media Player, which is great!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi I'm looking for a media player that will play .wmv files on my mac.. is there a generally good media player for mac? the default quicktime doesnt seem to support enough file formats.. thanks
This question has been asked and answered on this forum too many times to count. You already have a recommendation for VLC. Also, with the proper collection of QuickTime codecs, you can play virtually every format there is. As a start, look into Perian. For .wmv, you also need the Flip4Mac codec, which is a free download.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I use iTunes for music.
For .wmv files I still use Windows Media Player for Mac because Flip4Mac won't playback large wmv files.
How large are you talking about? I've downloaded a few WMV files between 1 and 2GB and they play fine on my MBP. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.