Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josephine_pien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
Hee guys,
maybe you can help me
My Macbook pro (around 1 year old) has trouble with storage, this wouldn't be weird in first place but it says I have around 40 GB on video storage. Now I don't have any movies on my laptop only a couple of short video's on iPhoto. Does someone know how to detect the files who cause 40 GB of storage.

Thanks a lot

Josephine

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
Try Disk Inventory (⇡) or check your system details in "About this Mac" under hard disk. It could be the local TimeMachine backups. They get deleted automatically once you need/use the remaining space.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The best small app I've found for identifying file usage is this:
https://diskwave.barthe.ph

Just download and open it.
You'll see what to do next.

TIP:
Choose the preference that allows it to display INvisible files, as well as visible.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hee guys,
maybe you can help me
My Macbook pro (around 1 year old) has trouble with storage, this wouldn't be weird in first place but it says I have around 40 GB on video storage. Now I don't have any movies on my laptop only a couple of short video's on iPhoto. Does someone know how to detect the files who cause 40 GB of storage.

Thanks a lot

Josephine
You probably do not have 40GB of videos. That storage readout is completely messed up, particularly in Yosemite and El Capitan. You can reindex Spotlight to make the readout more accurate, but it will likely drift off again.

Run the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight. Give it a half hour or so to complete the reindex.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.