Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edward-k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Our old powermac died recently (G5 2.5ghz x2), the cost to repair was quoted at 850$, which is roughly the same price as a new Mac-Mini 2.0ghz. Just wondering how the performance of new mini compares to the 4 year old powermac? A new powermac is out of the question right now. Thanks in advance for any help. Ed

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Your 4 year old powermac will still out perform the Mac Mini across the board. I have the same powermac and it blows the socks off my wife's 2 GHz MacBook. The only major benefit of the Mini is that you would be moving over to the intel platform and you will have Tech support for a new machine.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
IMO the Intel Mini would be best .... :)

If what I have read is correct, Snow Leopard will not support PPC (of course I could be wrong, according to my wife I quite often am .. :( )

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Interesting that Mactracker shows the 2.0ghz Mini to be slightly faster than the original dual G5 2.5 (June 2004) but significantly slower than the late 2005 version..

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Our old powermac died recently (G5 2.5ghz x2), the cost to repair was quoted at 850$, which is roughly the same price as a new Mac-Mini 2.0ghz. Just wondering how the performance of new mini compares to the 4 year old powermac? A new powermac is out of the question right now. Thanks in advance for any help. Ed

The real question you should be asking is "Do I need a PowerMac to do what I do on a computer?"

I have a 1.83Ghz C2D Mac Mini and a 24" 3.06Ghz iMac. For checking email, browsing the web, editing home video, retouching personal photo's, recording movies from EyeTV and streaming them to my AppleTV the Mac Mini was perfect.

I bought the iMac because I wanted a 24" iMac and I intend to do substantially more complicated video work.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
If the performance is comparable (even if the G5 is a bit faster) I'd recommend the Mini due to the intel architecture being more future proof. There are already a handful of apps that are not compatible with PPC and this trend will continue to make using a PPC more painful with each passing year.

At the end of the day, if you upgrade the G5, you will be looking for a new machine sooner then you would if you get a Mini.

But the Mini isn't the only option. Alternately you could pay a bit more and bump up to an iMac for a more powerful machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.