Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Yep same story on the IE apple site, at one point a day or so ago it had 9 mac minis in the refurb section. I have never seen that many at once. Often only 2 to 3 and very often none for extended periods, days or even weeks.

Though I guess the refurbs are the same across general geographic areas that are not separated by Oceans this is a clear sign of clearing out stock for whatever reason.

My money is on a refresh very soon. Probably post Valentine day most likely end of this month.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Most likely a fake, but I certainly wouldn't mind the new mini to look like this :D

51117653.jpg

Here's the blog, it's in japanese.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
That is exactly what I would expect a redesigned mini to look like. Unfortunately, if true, the thinner part also likely means less user serviceable I.e. Fixed hd and ram.

goatghost

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
Unfortunately, it's got to be fake. The punctuation in the "tagline" is off (comma, period, comma, period).

I'm doubtful that the screen capture is real, but I wouldn't necessarily discount it due to the punctuation.

Three commas would make sense, but each word is paired with another having a matching suffix:

"Thinner, fasterer. Powerful, wonderful."

Also, the "P" in "powerful is capitalized, which is grammatically correct.

I'm a stickler for punctuation...LOL

Last edited:

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
If it's real, WHEN?

For those who have experience tracking the release/leaks of apple products, assuming this is real, does that mean it's days, weeks, months or years away?

Thx

Mike

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'd almost bet anything it's a fake, and for a different reason than anyone else. The computer pictured has an IR remote port. Apple has been taking them out of new machine designs for the last few years and they don't ship with remotes anymore either. It doesn't make sense that they would remove the feature from the iMac and Macbooks and leave it in the Mini.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Well, the mini is frequently used as a home entertainment system and the remote works very well with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the mini kept the ir port.

Elho

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Belgium
For me it is very plausible and consistent in design with other Apple products!

But i agree, will it be user serviceable??? I doubt it. But even that would be in line with recent Apple updates...

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
As others said it's exactly what they'd expect. Why not harmonise the styling across the range. Brings it closer to the iphone generation and begins to look like a nice next purchase after a iphone if you are syncing to it and using it as a home av, both would look better together now.

Continuing to reduce the input material by using less aluminum I would imagine be a motivation for cost savings and also by virtue less weight and space from a shipping point of view being another point of cost saving.

So the stylistic affectations have trickled down to the mac mini, nothing surprising there which make it all the more plausible.

Very possible a quick snap shot from the web dev team putting the finishing touches to the upcoming launch/release page.

Leaks are as much part of the beginning of the advertising/marketing process. The idea apple tries to lock them down is one thing but don't be surprised if they do it in a manner which means they actually control the leaks to maximize benefit because they'll happen anyway.

It keeps you market talking and focused on the brand, coveting the what might be's and id only's and it simple media manipulation 101.

The entire political world works this way, constant leaks and spin to prepare to keep people off the trail or to prepare ground for something different or to accustom the population to accept a new change they would not normally accept if it was surprised on them.

Whose to say marketing are not amending their strategy based on comments to this leak.

If it went eh airport housing route I'd be highly displeased.

PLUS from a cables point of view, one flat bar or single row at the back on a flatter model would be far easier to hide and access that at the back of a mini tower especially if you want it to sit stylishly beside you grand home entertainment suite. So I dont' think the airport extreme tower desing is going ot cut it. You leave those in palce eslwhere and hardly ever need to access the device in it;s life time. Sit it on a shelf or unit and that's it's lot.

Well nothing more cheesy like a guerilla snap off a screen no one knows from wear, very ZOO TV if you ask me and if you didn't get the reference, U2 pulled in my guess at least 2/3 fake leaks of seperate upcoming album tracks over the last decade or two and blamed it on "Hackers" ... yea sure and their fanzine is called PROPOGANDA.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
This morning the US store is showing 2-3 weeks for both the fusion drive and SSD configurations.

Could it be...?

nah, the only sign of a new mini will come when you hear stores receiving new product numbers. Other than that, they will probably announce something at the WWDC in June.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Fake or not, I'd buy one of those a couple of months after release. Like everyone else here, I hope the Mini refresh is sooner rather than later.

I like that design, hope larger SSD options will be available.

When I configure a current Mini at Apple's site with the 256 SSD, it is 2-3 weeks as others have mentioned, but non HD upgrades are about 3-5 days.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
nah, the only sign of a new mini will come when you hear stores receiving new product numbers. Other than that, they will probably announce something at the WWDC in June.

I think the June WWDC event for Apple will be big. They will introduce many updated and new products and prime the pump for fall releases and the back to school and holiday shopping season. The competition in then mini pc market keeps growing. Here is another addition.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/chome-os-chromebox-asus-google-march,25947.html
Although not up to mini specs, it shows the importance of other manufacturers jumping in to the market that originated with the Mac mini.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
Most likely a fake, but I certainly wouldn't mind the new mini to look like this :D

Here's the blog, it's in japanese.

This would be awesome! Its going to lose all upgradability but Apple keeps their "smallest and most energy efficient" desktop crown. I think they switch to PCIe SSD only, offer upto 1TB like the MBP (2TB would be awesome but outrageously expensive). Any additional storage is done via Thunderbolt. If they can get the MBP's quad i7 with Iris Pro in there I'll buy asap.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I think that the Mini will at least keep the modular memory. Soldered memory only makes sense on a laptop since it has to be smaller, more energy efficient, etc. Both the iMac and MP offer memory expansion so it's not unlikely to think that the Mini will too.

Then again, this is Apple so you never know:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.