Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
You could go with the intel NUC or the lenovo M900 Tiny and drop a linux client onto it.
Both are much more powerful than the mini.

Reactions: Osty

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
Do you think AppleCare is really a good idea? Aren't these machines pretty reliable?
Sure they are reliable. But Apple Care increases the resale if you decide you want to sell them in a year or so. It really helps to be able to honestly say the machine is warantied if anything happens even when the computer is used. in addition if it does break you have a chance to get a newer model. Granted of course in the case of the Mac Mini that could be bad or good depending on what is available at the time of replacement.
[doublepost=1454618877][/doublepost]
That might not be important to the OP...
yeah and that is why the op is here asking about them instead of the nucs. :rolleyes:

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Aww okay! So AppleCare is a great investment if I plan on selling it within the next 3 years. So since I have a year to decide before the standard warranty expires I'll hold off buying it until we know if there's actually going to be a 2016 mini. :) But then of course if the new model, by some strange twist of fate, is superior to the 2012 model in all ways then the 2012 model wouldn't be worth much anyways. Hmm.

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
Aww okay! So AppleCare is a great investment if I plan on selling it within the next 3 years. So since I have a year to decide before the standard warranty expires I'll hold off buying it until we know if there's actually going to be a 2016 mini. :) But then of course if the new model, by some strange twist of fate, is superior to the 2012 model in all ways then the 2012 model wouldn't be worth much anyways. Hmm.
perfect plan.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
yeah and that is why the op is here asking about them instead of the nucs. :rolleyes:

Clue was in the words "I'm thinking"
That generally means a person is open to thoughts, ideas and comments... :rolleyes:o_O

But on topic, Mini is now getting long in the tooth and due for a refresh. If that's to be new CPUs or even a complete redesign no one knows right now. Also beware the Mini "can" suffer from overheating issues. Flash storage is also a must, the experience with traditional HHD is not good - but thats more an OS X issue than the minis hardware.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

AppleCare can be an investment, it can also be throwing money away . Yes it's a safety, yes you can sell a machine for a little more with AppleCare, though you will not get the money you paid for apple care back in the resale.

If you are buying a device that is going to be pushed hard, something like intensive CPU / GPU tasks, get AppleCare ! If you are going to buy a machine that is going to have a really easy life, don't bother, with all the apple products I've owned, not a single one that I've really looked after and had and easy life failed. Of the machines I used for intensive tasks, everyone has been replaced under AppleCare.

I cannot see apple giving back upgrade ability in the future for any product. 2016 will be like the 2014, and it will not have a quad core. Expect 2016 to be a small increment of 2014, though I doubt apple will update the mini till 2017..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.