Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richu

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2021
I'm very happy with my M2 Studio Max and plan on never getting a laptop again.

The battery in a laptop is a wear item and will eventually swell and cause issues. It's easy to say replace it until you realize that Apple stops supporting battery replacements and nobody else wants to touch it due to how time consuming and difficult it is to replace.
The specs of my laptops become irrelevant before the battery swells

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
This “new research” looks very much like data that has been posted periodically in these forums for some time, and leads to the same discussion about its validity. Not so much the laptop vs desktop breakdown - which seems plausible - but the relationships between the various desktop models do seem odd. Of course, with no details about how the figures are calculated, they’re pretty worthless.

These numbers don't seem realistic. Compare with January 2023 vs March 2024

iMac 13% vs 4%
MacPro 11% vs 3%
Mac Mini 1% vs 1%
Mac Studio 1% vs 1%

Macbook Air 34% 39%
Macbook Pro 40% 51%

Given all of the complaints about the new MacPro it is hard to believe that it had 8% growth.

thosmatthews

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
I have more Mac Minis in my business than any other Mac. Cheap to replace and result in very little waste. BYODKM. Only those on the move have a MacBook, and they’re all Airs (Pro previously, but the M series is now More than capable for our needs). Still using 24” and 27” Cinema displays as they seem to last forever. When they die I suppose we’ll move to studio displays. We love a desktop workstation.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

I figured it was single digit but didn't think it'd be 1%. It also says Mac pro makes up 3%, which is also surprising.

I'd believe that.

the mini and studio need to be a bit more than basically a MacBook Air/Pro without a screen.

Most people want laptops these days anyway.

The reason I'd buy a mini/studio:
Cheap access to an M-Pro/Max with a decent cooling system (i.e., can run sustained workload with no/minimal fan noise) at a reasonable price.

It would also be nice to have some sort of capacity for internal drive expansion. Don't need much, but even a single SATA drive bay or m.2 slot would be nice.

the problem apple has at the moment with the desktop form factor is that they're just basically the same MacBook Pro chips in a desktop. There's little point.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Given all of the complaints about the new MacPro it is hard to believe that it had 8% growth.
The base price of the Mac Pro went up by 17% with the release of the 2023 model. So if these figures are by value rather than by unit, who knows?

But then, if data like this doesn't even say what it means by "sales" (counting sales by value/revenue rather than unit is quite common, which is why you need to state which it is) then it should be sent back to the student with "Units!? C-" scrawled on it in red biro and otherwise ignored. Not publishing the methodology sends it straight into the trash bin. Knowing that Apple doesn't release this data, so by inference this excludes any sales from the Apple online and physical stores (which offer the most complete range of models and CTO upgrades) means you should then immediately empty the trash...

Junk data is junk data - it doesn't serve to prove or disprove anything.

the mini and studio need to be a bit more than basically a MacBook Air/Pro without a screen.
Except they are - they include extra ports, including things like ethernet that you don't get on a MBP, and the Studio is available with the M2 Ultra (which, presumably will be bumped to M3 Ultra - we'll have to wait to see how that plays out) which isn't available in laptop form. They're probably quieter under load than the laptops, too (discuss).

What has changed is that - short of the M2 Ultra option - with Apple Silicon, MacBook Pros can have virtually the same CPU/GPU power as desktops, whereas with Intel the desktops used higher-power chips. So now, it really does come down to the form factor you prefer, port count and what type of screen you want.

If you don't want mobility, and want something bigger than a 15-16" screen, or a choice of keyboard then a desktop still does the job better and more neatly. You can get a Mini/Studio and third party display for significantly less than the price of the corresponding laptop - and if you were going to need a large/expensive display to go with your laptop anyway, the desktops become a lot cheaper.

However, if you do need mobility then a laptop is rapidly becoming the preferred option and the need to get a desktop for performance is diminishing - even with PC/Intel, laptops are becoming more and more capable and computing is moving back towards something like the old client/server model, where the "server" can be in the cloud, or a big ugly box in a rack down in the basement. I don't think Apple can buck this trend.

It would also be nice to have some sort of capacity for internal drive expansion. Don't need much, but even a single SATA drive bay or m.2 slot would be nice.
Yes, that would be nice - but backwards-looking, now we have fast external connections for HD etc. SATA isn't quite dead yet, but it's on the way out. What would be nicer is if the Mac Pro wasn't so hugely expensive (and huge - even the Intel version struck me as grotesquely over-engineered and under-designed) because a mini-tower with a bit of internal expansion would still be useful (even if its not the future). I think Apple's problem is that the internal PCIe in the Mac Pro relies on the second "die" in the Mx Ultra chip to add the extra PCIe capacity, so they couldn't do a Mx Max version. Also, I suspect they're running down the "Mac Pro" line, hence they recycled the old Mac Pro enclosure.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Wrong, my fist computer is a desktop, my second computer is another desktop, just my 5th computer is a laptop, so no way if I had to choose one computer that would be a laptop.
If you own five computers then by definition my comment doesn’t apply to you as I clearly stated my comment was about people who buy one computer at a time.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would have thought at least 5-7% each for the Mini and Studio.
Hard to believe the Mac Pro outsells both of them combined.

Guess I'll take these figures with kpluck's "grain of salt".

Agree with macuros above -- I've come to really like the "Mini" form factor. I've had a 2012, the 2018 I'm using today, and will be looking for either an m3pro or m4pro when (and if) they get released.

picpic observes:
"The day of the desktop is almost over."

Maybe for you, sir, but not for me.
I'll be sitting here in front of a desktop until I topple over.
But I also have a MacBook Pro 14" for downstairs.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The base price of the Mac Pro went up by 17% with the release of the 2023 model. So if these figures are by value rather than by unit, who knows?

True, but a current maxed out model tops out at ~$12K vs the old Intel model at over $50K.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
I'm skeptical about that 1%. The mini gets its share of real estate at Best buy and Costco

But if the mini and studio make up such miniscule sales., then Apple won't mind making it easy to expand memory and storage, right? Throw the 1% a freaking bone?

/s

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
"The day of the desktop is almost over."

Maybe for you, sir, but not for me.
I'll be sitting here in front of a desktop until I topple over.
But I also have a MacBook Pro 14" for downstairs.
Agreed. Given the option, I will always use a desktop for serious work and heavy lifting - even if, in some cases, it’s because I prefer the screen real estate that a Studio Display offers me. I used to augment that with a laptop. But, in recent years, I have found that iPads can handle secondary duty for me just fine. I had a 14-inch MBP with M1 Pro chip for a while and found I hardly used it.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
for myself, I desktop like installations, much more ergonomically friendly than just using a laptop. I enjoy multiple larger displays, set up a little further away and slightly higher up, a a full keyboard with a number entry pad, slightly lower than the desktop, And a trackpad or mouse, to the side of the keyboard. If I’m gonna be working on it for hours on end, I find an installation like this much more comfortable than a laptop, with the display attached to a keyboard and a track pad directly below the keyboard.

I could have such an installation with a laptop with just all the peripherals plugged in. But the purchase price would be higher, and I would be concerned for lifetime would be less. Having a battery unit plugged in for years at a time cannot be a good thing for reliability.

As for the 1% Mac mini and Mac studio sale numbers: I say interesting, but not very believable. I thought someone previously on MR posted Amazon or Best Buy sales figure for Mac computers, And those numbers were very different. Also, I was under the impression that a large portion of Mac mini sales were bulk sales for server farm like installations. While I understand the bulk of the sales are directly from Apple, and are not reported publicly. I find it hard to believe that they would be that different from sales reported by resellers.

Last edited:
Reactions: colodane

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
2 computers (should be 3) are for doing tasks some sort of IoT, but if we talk about the computers that I use, then my third computer is a laptop that I only use when I'm out of my house.

I don't like laptops for work or gaming, I prefer desktops.
Mac has not been and never has been great for gaming.

enb141

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Mac has not been and never has been great for gaming.
Totally agreed with you, that's why if I had a mac, that would be my fifth computer.

Actually I had to buy a gaming laptop just for the nvidia GPU, now that Apple has killed non apple video cards, the decision about getting a mac, has worsen for the people that want a good video card, specially now that nvidia is the equivalent of "google" in video cards for multiple purposes not just gaming.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I find it hard to believe that they would be that different from sales reported by resellers.
Why? And which resellers? Apple offer all the options (and makes it easy to configure a system), which you can't always find at resellers - on the other hand resellers regularly have special offers on the popular whereas Apple rarely do. Large supermarket chains may sell MacBook Airs by the truckload, but probably don't even offer Mac Pros (and if they do, are unlikely to have them in stock)... Buying a new laptop - I'd want to go into a store and try the keyboard, display etc. Buying a Mac Mini - it's the same aluminium box as 12 years ago. There's no reason to think the profile of Apple Store sales will be the same as Kwik-E-Mart.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Totally agreed with you, that's why if I had a mac, that would be my fifth computer.

Actually I had to buy a gaming laptop just for the nvidia GPU, now that Apple has killed non apple video cards, the decision about getting a mac, has worsen for the people that want a good video card, specially now that nvidia is the equivalent of "google" in video cards for multiple purposes not just gaming.
I don’t care about gaming.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Off to the kitchen to get a grain of salt. 😃

-kp
Yeah, exactly this. I have no doubt whatsoever that laptops outsell desktops by a good amount. But 1% seems absurd to me. I'm not sure why Apple would continue to produce them. It's more likely this undisclosed methodology is better at detecting laptops than desktops.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
And here I was thinking I'd never be part of the 1% 😆
😆😆

Seriously though - I call BS on these figures.......why would Apple keep the Mini around for over a decade and then go to the expense of producing the Studio if they only sold in paltry figures like this???

• Love
Reactions: Chuckeee

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
The day of the desktop is almost over.

I've been writing that for some time.

It's been widely accepted for some time that the Mac line is now mostly about MacBooks.
Yes!

And now it's obvious why mini, Studio and Mac Pro are last in line for the latest chip.

-Apple is always making sure that there are more than plenty of its latest SoC for iPhones, then MBPs, then MBAs, then iMac, and then Mac Pro, mini and Studio can get the scraps.

Reactions: Chuckeee

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
And here I was thinking I'd never be part of the 1% 😆
😆😆

Seriously though - I call BS on these figures.......why would Apple keep the Mini around for over a decade and then go to the expense of producing the Studio if they only sold in paltry figures like this???
Apple has only done minor tweaks on the Mac minis design since 2012 (or even further back?) so r&d costs are extremely low just upgrading the SoC and a few other internals for every new refresh.

This means big profit margins for Apple.

And while Mac Studio's design is a lot newer, I doubt Apple will do anything with the design and I/O over the next 5-10 years. It's probably also just getting spec bumps and nothing else. Big profit margins, little effort on Apple's part.

Same goes for Mac Pro. Quite the old design. But it's still a decent design. And paired with new internals, some while find it a good buy and Apple will love saving on r&d.

Plus, selling someone on a $599-ish Mac might be a gateway to having them buy an iPhone or other Apple devices.

(Roughly,) the figures definitely check out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.