Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I was a happy Plex user for about a year, then switched to the AppleTV 2. It's cheap, it does 1080p, it has a nice interface, you don't have to futz with remote control. Plus you have AirPlay. I do all my ripping/transcoding on another machine of course, and the downside to this approach is you need a computer on the network somewhere running iTunes. I bet you have another computer on your network running iTunes. :)

Here's how I transcode and manage metadata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdhWgy1YnIU

I enjoyed the HTPC project as a hobby, but I'm much happier with my ATV and now I get to spend that time on other hobbies.

YetiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Fylde Coast, UK.
I was a happy Plex user for about a year, then switched to the AppleTV 2. It's cheap, it does 1080p, it has a nice interface, you don't have to futz with remote control. Plus you have AirPlay. I do all my ripping/transcoding on another machine of course, and the downside to this approach is you need a computer on the network somewhere running iTunes. I bet you have another computer on your network running iTunes. :)

I enjoyed the HTPC project as a hobby, but I'm much happier with my ATV and now I get to spend that time on other hobbies.

Thanks for the suggestion - very much appreciated :) So, you have found that the best course of action is to rip Blu-Ray / DVD's and then use iTunes as the media organiser / manager, while using Apple TV as the interface, data streamed from a Mac. I have to admit that this does appeal as I like the Apple interface.

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge - having never bought or downloaded a movie from iTunes, but I was user the impression that iTunes is orientated to downloads and not importing movies? Or have I got this totally wrong.

If I'm mistaken, then what is the correct way to import ripped films into the Movies section of iTunes, both from DVD and Blu-Ray sources - without compromising their quality - i.e. a lossless rip? There seems to be no direct route to achieve this through the iTunes interface - as when importing CD's?

I've tried creating a new Movies Folder here: Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Movies

Then copying a folder containing a movie rip, named Toy.Story.1995.mkv (for example) and iTunes does not recognise the file? I'm guessing its a littler more convoluted than that !

Please consider that my aim is for 'lossless' media for a home cinema set up. If I can't achieve this then the whole procedure is pointless for me as I may as well stick with a stand alone DVD / Blu-Ray player. Running handbrake to compress files and reduce quality to view on other devices is not what I'm after at this stage - perhaps a future option though.

Again, any guidance through the (many) options most welcome :)

EDIT: Just found this guide online: http://mac.appstorm.net/how-to/video-how-to/how-to-rip-blu-rays-on-a-mac-a-complete-guide/

Is this the correct procedure?

Last edited:

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Hi all. :)

Long time Mac user here, but new to using Mac's as a media centre, so any help welcome.

I've been looking into building a home (family orientated) media centre built around a Mini plugged into a large 50" flat screen TV via HDMI. Can it be done and which model is best for the task? The main reason is to stop discs being damaged by little fingers ! Option to use Apple TV and download media is not really viable due to a slow-ish broadband connection (roll on fibre optic!).

I'd like to be able to rip DVD / Blueray discs and then have them stored on a high capacity RAID external HD setup. My aim is to rip each disc without a compromise on picture quality.

Can you please point me in the direction of the best guides for the process, including software etc.

My biggest concern is to find some sort of Mac software that can work as a media interface, which is simple enough for an eight year old to use and navigate.

Any advice most welcome :)

I'm using plea to serve all my Media. I have a;most given up on my ATV's as they cannot successfully stay connected to my iMac running my Media.

----------

I would too if the ATV would stay connected it cannot, plea is always connected to my source

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
...I was user the impression that iTunes is orientated to downloads and not importing movies? Or have I got this totally wrong.
They want you to use it for buying and renting media, same as with music. And as with music, you can use it as a TV/Movie library for your own ripped/downloaded stuff. But metadata is important. You'll need an application that can write iTunes-compatible metadata to your files so they show up properly. I like iDentify very very much.
If I'm mistaken, then what is the correct way to import ripped films into the Movies section of iTunes, both from DVD and Blu-Ray sources - without compromising their quality - i.e. a lossless rip? There seems to be no direct route to achieve this through the iTunes interface - as when importing CD's?
Correct. My process is not lossless. All my stuff is transcoded using HandBrake, but I am very happy with the quality and in many cases I can pass the audio through without transcoding it.
I've tried creating a new Movies Folder here: Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Movies

Then copying a folder containing a movie rip, named Toy.Story.1995.mkv (for example) and iTunes does not recognise the file? I'm guessing its a littler more convoluted than that !
Very much more, I'm afraid. iTunes wants mp4 or m4v files, encoded in a certain way. No AVI. No MKV. No WMV. No VIDEO_TS. No ISO. Those limitations are why some people go the HTPC route.

Please consider that my aim is for 'lossless' media for a home cinema set up. If I can't achieve this then the whole procedure is pointless for me as I may as well stick with a stand alone DVD / Blu-Ray player. Running handbrake to compress files and reduce quality to view on other devices is not what I'm after at this stage - perhaps a future option though.
If you want to be able to play .mkv files natively or play lossless content (no consumer video is lossless, let's say "not transcoded from the source media"), you'll need to go the HTPC route. Remember, one BD could consume up to 50GB of storage if you keep everything and don't transcode. My process depends on having time to encode files before I watch them. And my 2010 laptop only encodes at around 12 frames per second, so it's a non-trivial time loss. The trade-offs between usability, quality, efficiency and cost are subjective. I've been happy with my approach since I gave my HTPC Mac Mini to the kids and bought an ATV2 in 2010, but YMMV.

My opinion is that if you insist on not transcoding anything, and you want your Blu-Ray content available on demand, then neither HTPC or ATV are cost effective: you'll need a fast network, a fast (and big) home NAS, and a fast Mac Mini. I have a PS3 that plays Blu Ray discs, and I have an 8GB USB drive plugged into it that has a bunch of pristine, gorgeous 1080p demo content with lossless 7.1 audio. I amuse myself periodically by watching those trailers and blowing the doors off my house, then I resume watching transcoded TV and movies on the ATV, served by iTunes.

Final thought: physical media will be dead within a few years. We all stopped buying CDs, downloading our music instead. Most of us have stopped buying DVDs. Soon we'll quit buying BD as well.

I'm using plea to serve all my Media. I have a;most given up on my ATV's as they cannot successfully stay connected to my iMac running my Media.
About twice a month I get an error where ATV can't play the content from my iTunes. Resetting iTunes doesn't help, I have to reboot the ATV. That sucks, but I imagine it's a bug that could conceivably be fixed someday.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.