Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
Hi All,

I am looking to put in a new mac mini server to act as a SIMPLE file server for a mixed bag of platforms (XP, Vista, 7, a few Macs - some are Pro, some are Home / Premium).

The only role the server will be playing is to act as a file server w/ offsite backup capabilities.

What is the EASIEST method of enabling file sharing for a particular folder (with subfolders) with full read/write permissions for all users?

I would rather not enter in a username/password for all 40+ users into the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Matthew

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
Here is the solution:

1. in Server Admin >> SMB >> Settings >> Access >> Check "Allow Guest Access"
2. Save, Stop SMB, Start SMB
3. in Server Admin >> AFP >> Settings >> Access >> Check "Enable Guest Access"
4. Save, Stop AFP, Start AFP
5. Choose your server.local (at the top of services) >> File Sharing >> Share Points & Browse >> Create a New Folder (i.e., HD/data) and Share.
6. Select your new folder (data) and down at the bottom of the screen choose Share Point >> Protocol Options... >>> Check "Share this item using AFP" and Check "Allow AFP guest access". On the SMB tab Check "Share this item using SMB", Check "Allow SMB guest access", and ensure "Inherit permissions from parent" is Checked. OK.
7. With your new folder selected (data) click on Permissions and add (+ sign) the Group "Everyone" to the ACL. Make sure their permissions are set to Full Control.
8. Save.

This provides the greatest file sharing access for ALL users who can connect to your network. Of course, this implies a certain security risk, but for those that just need a massive, easy to access DataStore, this will work.

All the best!

--Matthew

applefan27073

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Australia
You answered yourself???

Here is the solution:

1. in Server Admin >> SMB >> Settings >> Access >> Check "Allow Guest Access"
2. Save, Stop SMB, Start SMB
3. in Server Admin >> AFP >> Settings >> Access >> Check "Enable Guest Access"
4. Save, Stop AFP, Start AFP
5. Choose your server.local (at the top of services) >> File Sharing >> Share Points & Browse >> Create a New Folder (i.e., HD/data) and Share.
6. Select your new folder (data) and down at the bottom of the screen choose Share Point >> Protocol Options... >>> Check "Share this item using AFP" and Check "Allow AFP guest access". On the SMB tab Check "Share this item using SMB", Check "Allow SMB guest access", and ensure "Inherit permissions from parent" is Checked. OK.
7. With your new folder selected (data) click on Permissions and add (+ sign) the Group "Everyone" to the ACL. Make sure their permissions are set to Full Control.
8. Save.

This provides the greatest file sharing access for ALL users who can connect to your network. Of course, this implies a certain security risk, but for those that just need a massive, easy to access DataStore, this will work.

All the best!

--Matthew

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
I did indeed.

After a month of waiting and trying different things I finally sorted it out.

I thought it would be nice to share what I discovered with anyone else who may be interested in the same sort of setup.

Hope someone else may find this useful.

All the best,

--Matthew

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Another related question. I've already mini setup as file server with W7.

what i would like to enable is that when a file is deleted by user from the shared folder, it doesn't just disappear, but goes to trash on the MAC.

is that possible ? otherwise accidental deletes are just gone... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.