Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amyng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
As I posted before, I wanted an emac for doing graphic design. Now, an old CRT is available to me, and because of $$ concerns, I am seriously thinking about a mac mini. *sigh* Don't get me wrong, I love emacs, and wanted to buy it next week, but with the cost of everything put in, I'm starting to rethink my decision, coz the Mactels might roll out soon. (i'm hoping for rev. C mactels before even deciding)

I've heard that a 1.5Ghz Mac Mini is out, but I have not seen one online. and that they have 64 DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X support. That's waaay good news, but I'm not sure how I can get my hands on that.

As I don't play games on mac, how would the graphics card affect my performance if it is the one with ATI Radeon 9200 with 32 DDR SDRAM, instead of the emac's 9600 + 64 DDR SDRAM?

Argh!
Help please?

A Mac newbie
Amy

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
amyng said:
As I posted before, I wanted an emac for doing graphic design. Now, an old CRT is available to me, and because of $$ concerns, I am seriously thinking about a mac mini. *sigh* Don't get me wrong, I love emacs, and wanted to buy it next week, but with the cost of everything put in, I'm starting to rethink my decision, coz the Mactels might roll out soon. (i'm hoping for rev. C mactels before even deciding)

I've heard that a 1.5Ghz Mac Mini is out, but I have not seen one online. and that they have 64 DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X support. That's waaay good news, but I'm not sure how I can get my hands on that.

As I don't play games on mac, how would the graphics card affect my performance if it is the one with ATI Radeon 9200 with 32 DDR SDRAM, instead of the emac's 9600 + 64 DDR SDRAM?

Argh!
Help please?

A Mac newbie
Amy
Really, if you don't play games, I don't think the graphics card matters too much. When you say "Graphic design," exactly what will you be doing? If $$ is a concern, the Mac mini is the way to go. If you can dig up the cash, an iMac is way better. That was my problem, by the time I got everything I needed on the Mac mini, it was practically the same price as the lowest iMac, I'd consider that, also, if I were you.
I don't think the eMac is available anymore.

amyng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
the emac is still available here, and with 1GB, 1.42 superdrive, 160 memory, and ACPP thrown in, it costs about USD1250. Now, I want to make sure my emac can last for at least 5 years, to get me through the Mactel transitions.

I'm hoping all points will tip me towards me getting an emac, I don't want an iMac because of its problems (heat) and LCD isn't for me. That said, I want to get an emac for reliability, and because of it's better specs than the mini.

the iMac here will cost USD1500+ + ACPP +1GB. FYI. And no, I will not consider it, because of the LCD screen..:)

thanks!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
amyng said:
the emac is still available here, and with 1GB, 1.42 superdrive, 160 memory, and ACPP thrown in, it costs about USD1250. Now, I want to make sure my emac can last for at least 5 years, to get me through the Mactel transitions.

I'm hoping all points will tip me towards me getting an emac, I don't want an iMac because of its problems (heat) and LCD isn't for me. That said, I want to get an emac for reliability, and because of it's better specs than the mini.

the iMac here will cost USD1500+ + ACPP +1GB. FYI. And no, I will not consider it, because of the LCD screen..:)

thanks!
For curiosity's sake, why don't you like LCDs? And Apple resolved the heat issue with Rev. B. To be honest, I just don't think either the mini or the eMac will last you 5 years - I'd be happy to get that long out of my iMac.
How did you manage to find the eMac still, is it on the Apple Online Store?

amyng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
well, because, I tried an iMac G5 before, and I was drooling over one just recently. After using it about 2 days, I just don't like the quality of it, I'm not sure why, but maybe because it doesn't give out a 'solid' output as a CRT, and furthermore, my eyes hurt when I stare at it for long periods (and yes, you will too with a CRT, haha, but with LCD's, I just don't feel comfy at all) :p

Here, where I'm at, the apple store still sells emac. And i'm not in the US.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
amyng said:
well, because, I tried an iMac G5 before, and I was drooling over one just recently. After using it about 2 days, I just don't like the quality of it, I'm not sure why, but maybe because it doesn't give out a 'solid' output as a CRT, and furthermore, my eyes hurt when I stare at it for long periods (and yes, you will too with a CRT, haha, but with LCD's, I just don't feel comfy at all) :p

I see. It seems you really like the eMac (as you said)...
I'm hoping all points will tip me towards me getting an emac
If that's what you want, that's what you should get (as it is slightly "better").
But then of course you are so close to that iMac...:p Just Kidding.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
amyng said:

Actually, LCD's are easier on your eyes than a CRT. Look up on Google and there's lots of evidence to back up my claims.

No heat issues though as you mentioned, and I personally think you get a lot more bang for your buck with an iMac than a mac mini, but hey, it's your call, and ultimately, your money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.