Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ownerizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
My Mac Mini experienced a HDD failure last weekend. Unfortunately I had no backup whatsoever. I bought it second hand without the restore discs. I do have a functional boot disc and thumb drive of OSX Lion, however, when I start the mini, and hold "C" or "alt" I get nothing no boot menus, just a gray screen with a flashing folder and question mark. Where do I go from here? I've also tried "cmd+alt+shift+del". Is there a way to get this to work?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm assuming it's an older mini? If it is as its powing up hold c and slap the disk in. If nothing happens reboot with the disk in.

ownerizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
I'm assuming it's an older mini? If it is as its powing up hold c and slap the disk in. If nothing happens reboot with the disk in.

It is an older mini (Circa 2006), if I boot holding "c" I get a folder with a question mark that changes to a circle with a slash through it. I'm a PC convert, damn, if I could just tell this thing where to boot. Not being able to see any sort of POST report, really bugs me.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hold down Command+Option+P+R right after the startup sound and keep all 4 keys down till you hear 2 more startup sounds.

Then try command + c

ownerizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Hold down Command+Option+P+R right after the startup sound and keep all 4 keys down till you hear 2 more startup sounds.

Then try command + c

I hit and held the keys as soon as I heard the startup sound. The mac then went to the folder with a question mark again, timed out and shut itself down.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Hold them on boot! Not after the sound

ownerizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012

Hold them on boot! Not after the sound

I've held them on boot, and get the same issue. If I remove the motherboard battery, will that essentially do the same thing? Remove, wait 10 mins, and reinstall?

ownerizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Problem solved. I used the Mac Remote, to access the boot menu and boot from USB. Apparently, the earlier gen Mac Minis do not like the A1243 slim aluminum keyboards. I read in another thread on Apple's support communities, that these later gen keyboards on an ealier generation Mini, do not power up until the OS loads. I tested the idea with a cheap Windows USB keyboard and it worked. SSD is running. Very, very quickly.

jezzy

Suspended
Jan 12, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Problem solved. I used the Mac Remote, to access the boot menu and boot from USB. Apparently, the earlier gen Mac Minis do not like the A1243 slim aluminum keyboards. I read in another thread on Apple's support communities, that these later gen keyboards on an ealier generation Mini, do not power up until the OS loads. I tested the idea with a cheap Windows USB keyboard and it worked. SSD is running. Very, very quickly.

omg, that was probably my problem too. I also have a thin aluminum keyboard (wired) and was trying to get to the boot menu with "C" on my older 06 mini =)
glad you got it working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.