Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badmannersfalcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
UK
I recently upgraded my 2009 Mac mini to a (secondhand) 2014 Mac mini. I've used the 2009 as a media computer for years, firstly plugged into a 24" monitor, and then into a 40" Sony Bravia TV.
I never had any problems with the display, but I am having problems with it on the new 2014 mini. The screen goes all purple and green when plugged in via HDMI either from Mini DisplayPort or from HDMI to HDMI. I bought a Mini DP to VGA adapter to try that, and the colour is fine but the resolution sucks. It either leaves black bars on the side of my TV, cuts off the top and bottom, or stretches. The TV is a Sony Bravia, which is on the older side (10 years?) but is still full HD with HDMI ports.
The colour is fine when viewed via screen sharing from another Mac. I have tried changing the colour profiles, etc. in System Preferences but it just makes it slightly different shades of purple and green.
The colour is fine at 720p but the resolution looks awful. I ran my old Mac mini just fine at 1360x768, which is what I'm trying to run this at.
I've seen other people have had the same issue upon Googling but haven't found a resolution. Is there anything I can do to solve this short of spending £400 on a new TV?
The Mac mini is running Yosemite. Should I upgrade it to El Capitan?
fC0iPBk.jpg

Edit: Added picture.

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I've had this issue before on a 2012 Mini and it turned out to be a bad cable. There are issues for some reason with Mac Minis and HDMI.

You might try a new cable and make sure it's good quality like from Monoprice. You shouldn't have to spend a lot for it.... just good quality shielded.

badmannersfalcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
UK
I've tried it with three different cables, two Mini DP to HDMI and one regular HDMI. What a pain. We don't really have Monoprice in the UK. Do you have another brand you could recommend?
[doublepost=1471218214][/doublepost]Might try this one. :D

Reactions: JamesPDX

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I've tried it with three different cables, two Mini DP to HDMI and one regular HDMI. What a pain. We don't really have Monoprice in the UK. Do you have another brand you could recommend?

You get the same result with the mini DP to HDMI? That would have been my next suggestion. Is there another TV you can try your Mini on?

Also did you do a clean install of OS X? If not download El Capitan and do a clean install. If you have a spare drive laying around Backup your Mini first. OS X maybe corrupted.

Last edited:

badmannersfalcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
UK
I have a little Samsung upstairs that I used to use. Might just take the Mac mini upstairs and try it out...
[doublepost=1471219237][/doublepost]Can confirm the colours are normal with the two Mini DP to HDMI cables on the Samsung TV.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have a little Samsung upstairs that I used to use. Might just take the Mac mini upstairs and try it out...
[doublepost=1471219237][/doublepost]Can confirm the colours are normal with the two Mini DP to HDMI cables on the Samsung TV.

I guess that leaves you with what to do about the Sony. It could be a setting on your TV.

I thought of one other thing and that is an active DP to HDMI which is powered by USB to supply power to legacy HDMI ports. If you can't find a setting in your TV that helps you may want to try one before spending all that money for a new TV.

Last edited:

badmannersfalcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
UK
When I got the Mac mini, it was wiped and just had a test account on it. I then used Time Machine to port over my old Mac mini's data. I don't really want to do a clean install! Do you think I should buy a new HDMI cable to try?
Also, I haven't changed any settings directly from the TV. I didn't think it would make any difference as my old Mac mini was plugged in exactly the same way. I can try that, once I find the remote for it... Have not used the remote in years as I can change the input from the button at the top!
[doublepost=1471220525][/doublepost]Can always run out tomorrow and get this cable, if it might help. Does say it's shielded and isn't some cheap eBay cable...

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
When I got the Mac mini, it was wiped and just had a test account on it. I then used Time Machine to port over my old Mac mini's data. I don't really want to do a clean install! Do you think I should buy a new HDMI cable to try?
Also, I haven't changed any settings directly from the TV. I didn't think it would make any difference as my old Mac mini was plugged in exactly the same way. I can try that, once I find the remote for it... Have not used the remote in years as I can change the input from the button at the top!
If it works on your Samsung then it should work on the Sony unless the HDMI port has problems on your TV or a setting needs changed or the HDMI port is to old a spec for the 2014 Mini and it needs an active display port to compensate.

That was the wrong info but an active display port will help with legacy HDMI.

Last edited:

badmannersfalcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
UK
I tried some settings on that but nothing improved. When adding a custom setting, I couldn't see any indication that anything had changed either. I'll see if my Prime friend can order me the active adapter so I can try it on Tuesday!

badmannersfalcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
UK
I got the active adapter today and am delighted to say it works! Thanks so much for your help. I don't have to return the Mac mini or buy a new TV now. :D Displays colour just fine at the right resolution for my TV.

Reactions: Crosscreek

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Has anyone had an HDMI problem where when the tv has been off, when turned on again, the tv can't output out the HDMI? My tv is just saying no signal. I remote into the mini and restart then all is good again... Ideas? It too is a Sony Bravia set.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Has anyone had an HDMI problem where when the tv has been off, when turned on again, the tv can't output out the HDMI? My tv is just saying no signal. I remote into the mini and restart then all is good again... Ideas? It too is a Sony Bravia set.

My idiot box shows a pink screen when I turn it on if there is an input to the HDMI. I need to turn the tv on first, wait for the no signal present, and the turn on my receiver. However I wonder if it's because receiver (control amp) is plugged into HDMI 1 which is also the ARC. I'll have to try it later. Might be the same issue you're having.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
It's the Mini, not the cable, nor the display. I've had this issue on two different 2012 Mini's. Seemingly random. Something's going on when the display is allowed to sleep. Viewsonics, Dells, Sharp HDTV, Envision, whatever.

It's more of an annoyance than anything. A reboot does the trick. My last Mini only displays over Screen Sharing. Never goes pink over Screen Sharing. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.