Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
i have a sony LCD tv with a 'hdmi' and 'dvi' input.

People keep talking about DVI-to-HDMI cables, but since your TV has a DVI input it seems to me that the natural thing to do is connect your mini to the TV's DVI input with a plain DVI cable. (Plus a separate cable for audio.)

all i want to do is connect my mac to tv with AUDIO and VIDEO in ONE connection.

is this possible...

No, since your Mini doesn't have a single port that carries both audio and video.

You could run two cables out of your Mini into some kind of converter, then a single cable from the converter to your TV's HMDI port. The $300 Gefen converter box mentioned by seattleda would seem to do this, but is hardly cost effective.

MacConvoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2007
I would just like to note that HDMI out on Mac Mini would be incredibly useful to me in my current situation. I have a receiver, but I also use a projector. That means anything I use has to be plugged in through the receiver as I only have one HDMI port in the projector(and even if I had more than one, it's impractical to have two or three 25' HDMI cables).

I've considered the possibility of connecting a Mac Mini to both HDMI and optical ports on the receiver, but I'm not entirely sure if I can set that up to use both ports simultaneously. It's sounds quite absurd, so I have strong doubts.

If Apple would simply add HDMI out on Mac Mini, none of this would be a problem and I'd rush out to buy one. They put it on AppleTV, so why not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.