Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Hey all!

I purchased the m2 Mac mini - 8 go memory - 256gb ssd latest version from Best Buy about 2 months ago.

Since I bought it I have had so many issues. Everything I do lags terribly. If I use chrome or any web browser I’ll click something and nothing happens, get spinning wheel and it’s just frozen from 10 seconds to 2+ minutes every time. If I am already using the browser fine and try to open a new tap it all freezes for a while before it will work.

I’m trying to figure out what in the world is going on.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
How much memory is in use when this happens?

Things to try.

1. See if reproduces in Safe mode

2. Remove:

a. All login items

b. system extensions

c. kernel extensions

d. launch daemons

e. launch and user launch agents

You can find them by running etrecheck.

Reactions: npolly0212

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
8 GB of memory is is just about the minimum in 2024 for the modern internet and webbrowsers. What this means is that it could run out at any moment, the device becomes almost unusable.

Maybe on phone there are things better optimized, but not on notebooks/desktop computers.

But if you want, you can believe Apple's marketing that the 8 GB of RAM is enough on a $800+ machine. Whereas elsewhere you can get at least 12 or 16 GB for the same money.

Good luck with the troubleshooting!

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
8 GB of memory is is just about the minimum in 2024 for the modern internet and webbrowsers. What this means is that it could run out at any moment, the device becomes almost unusable.

Maybe on phone there are things better optimized, but not on notebooks/desktop computers.

But if you want, you can believe Apple's marketing that the 8 GB of RAM is enough on a $800+ machine. Whereas elsewhere you can get at least 12 or 16 GB for the same money.

Good luck with the troubleshooting!
That was true when machines ran with spinning HDDs. Modern SSDs can read out info from swap nearly as fast as the ram on machines 20 years ago. Yes, modern ram is still a few orders of magnitude faster, but most users not running an activity monitor or using a stopwatch would notice a machine that is actively using even a moderate amount of swap.

There is some sound advice above.

It really sounds like you might have a hardware problem. Try this:

Apple Diagnostics Instructions

The machine should be covered by warranty if it has a hardware fault.

If the hardware checks out, I would start with booting the Mac in safe mode to see if the problem persists.

Safe Mode Instructions

If things work fine in safe mode, then there is definitely something corrupted in your current installation.

From there, my next step would be to just reinstall MacOS on top of itself.

Reinstall MacOS Instructions

If things work well after this, you are good. If not, you need to explore the individual pieces of software installed.

Login Items are located in System Settings (from the Apple Menu or the app) -> General -> Login Items

Click on each item in the list and then click the - button to disable it. Also turn off all of the Allow in the Background items.

Reboot and see if anything improves. If so, start adding back items one at a time until the problems show up. This will tell you if it was one of these items.

The Extensions, Launch Daemons, Launch Agents, etc. can be found by navigating to Macintosh HD (or whatever you chose to name it) -> Library and browsing through the folders with similar names. The Launch Daemons and Launch Agents can be deleted without any worries. For Extensions, I would do a little Googling before deleting.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
That was true when machines ran with spinning HDDs. Modern SSDs can read out info from swap nearly as fast as the ram on machines 20 years ago. Yes, modern ram is still a few orders of magnitude faster, but most users not running an activity monitor or using a stopwatch would notice a machine that is actively using even a moderate amount of swap.

There is some sound advice above.

It really sounds like you might have a hardware problem. Try this:

Apple Diagnostics Instructions

The machine should be covered by warranty if it has a hardware fault.

If the hardware checks out, I would start with booting the Mac in safe mode to see if the problem persists.

Safe Mode Instructions

If things work fine in safe mode, then there is definitely something corrupted in your current installation.

From there, my next step would be to just reinstall MacOS on top of itself.

Reinstall MacOS Instructions

If things work well after this, you are good. If not, you need to explore the individual pieces of software installed.

Login Items are located in System Settings (from the Apple Menu or the app) -> General -> Login Items

Click on each item in the list and then click the - button to disable it. Also turn off all of the Allow in the Background items.

Reboot and see if anything improves. If so, start adding back items one at a time until the problems show up. This will tell you if it was one of these items.

The Extensions, Launch Daemons, Launch Agents, etc. can be found by navigating to Macintosh HD (or whatever you chose to name it) -> Library and browsing through the folders with similar names. The Launch Daemons and Launch Agents can be deleted without any worries. For Extensions, I would do a little Googling before deleting.
Thank you for this detailed response - i will give it a try and see what it comes up with!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Are you using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard?
If so, either plug them in to a USB port (if possible), or try a USB WIRED keyboard and mouse.

Also, do you have anything else plugged into the Mini?
If so, what?

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Are you using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard?
If so, either plug them in to a USB port (if possible), or try a USB WIRED keyboard and mouse.

Also, do you have anything else plugged into the Mini?
If so, what?
I am using a Logitech keyboard that’s plugged in, 2 monitors, and then my Logitech mouse that’s wireless

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
Open up Activity Monitor and check to see that no process is running amok hogging a lot of CPU cycles. Also check the memory tab to see if the Memory Pressure is in the green and not in the yellow or red.

Reactions: npolly0212

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England

Totally not true. I have an M1 MacBook Air with 8 GB RAW and it functions just great. I edit raw files on it (in Photos), work on Keynote files a few hundred MB in size, and do all of my day-to-day admin (Safari, Mail). (I also have an M2 Mac mini with 16 GB RAM for my desktop work, and I can’t tell a difference in speed between my two machines.)

OP, try reinstalling macOS. If that doesn’t work, try taking it back or get in touch with Apple support.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Open up Activity Monitor and check to see that no process is running amok hogging a lot of CPU cycles. Also check the memory tab to see if the Memory Pressure is in the green and not in the yellow or red.
Are you using the Logi+ app? Not all mice are compatible, and I’ve had trouble using Logitech’s older app with a mouse that wasn’t Logi+ compatible. Also: is it a bluetooth mouse, or are you using a dongle?

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
8 GB of memory is is just about the minimum in 2024 for the modern internet and webbrowsers. What this means is that it could run out at any moment, the device becomes almost unusable...But if you want, you can believe Apple's marketing that the 8 GB of RAM is enough on a $800+ machine. Whereas elsewhere you can get at least 12 or 16 GB for the same money...

While having more RAM is always better, unless you are doing major, seriously memory-intensive stuff, please don't take the comment above as gospel.

On my M2 8/256 I use multiple browsers (sometimes at the same time) with several tabs open, create Office docs of all kinds, streaming (including Zoom / FaceTime), some photo and video editing and manipulation, and only rarely have noticible lag. And even more rarely, the beachball.

(And when / if it does happen, its likely while using an Apple app. But I digress...)

There's no reason - for most real-world users - that '...it could run out at any moment...' As for finding a legit sale of a Mini with 12 or 16 GB for the same price as 8 - well, it is possible (Apple's own Refurb site, for example), but rare. And again - the average Mac user isn't going to need it. To buy more is buying into Apple ad / profit hype - which many Macolytes slavishly follow.

Some useful instructions above in thread to try and clear the issue yourself, but two months in, I'd be onto Apple Support (Apple Store or by phone) to resolve your issues, for what you describe is not normal. 'Even' with only 8 GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.