Mac Mini OS X 10.4 upgrade query

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by AndyGTC, May 1, 2012.

1. AndyGTC, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to the world of Apple computers (except for my iPod). Had a good hunt around for answers to my problem but with no luck.

I've just purchased a used Mac Mini to test the waters, as it were, with Apple computing. I picked it up dirt cheap and it seemed like a worthwhile exercise as I'm considering developing an app based around a book I have written.

This Mini has the following specs:-

1GB DDR RAM, 1.5Ghz PowerPC G4 processor, 80GB HDD, wireless, bluetooth etc, etc. I believe it's running OS X 10.4.11

I'm told, in order to develop apps I need to be running OS X 10.5 or later?

Is this correct? If so, is my Mini easily upgradeable?

If anyone could advise or point me to a thread that answers my question I'd be very grateful.

Thanks very much!

Andy

2. simsaladimbamba

You need an Intel Mac with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on to develop iOS apps: https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/ios-dev-center.html

Your Mac mini will not run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as it is NOT an Intel Mac, but a PPC Mac (different architecture).
    You can install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on it and probably can upgrade the RAM a bit further.
    Look on iFixIt for guides (it is a bit hard to do so) and on EveryMac for specifics on how much RAM your Mac mini can use.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

PS: That Mac mini was still running 10.4.11 due to that Mac mini probably coming with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard runs a bit slower on G4 equipped Macs.
    I upgraded my G4 iBook (1 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM) to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard once, but decided to downgrade due to it being slower than with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

PPS: To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so my 'bargain' wasn't quite the bargain I'd hoped for.....back to the drawing board (literally)....ho hum........:confused: