Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treysmay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
toronto, ontario, canada
how well would a 1.42ghz 512mb ram mac mini handle the adobe creative sweet, mainly photoshop? sorry if this thread does excist because i could not find it.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It will handle the software OK. You'll get better performance from Photoshop with 1 Gb RAM, but it is all relative... you'd also get better performance from a Dual G5.

The thing is, any of the Macs can do any of the jobs... it's just a matter of speed. The larger the job, the more that the speed (and the RAM) will become apparent.

PS: Would be worth the extra few moments to work on your spelling & capitalization. It'll pay off when you post your website and want to sell things. We're fairly forgiving here on MR, but some of your prospective customers will write you off if they see sloppy work.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
It will handle the software OK. You'll get better performance from Photoshop with 1 Gb RAM, but it is all relative... you'd also get better performance from a Dual G5.

The thing is, any of the Macs can do any of the jobs... it's just a matter of speed. The larger the job, the more that the speed (and the RAM) will become apparent.

PS: Would be worth the extra few moments to work on your spelling & capitalization. It'll pay off when you post your website and want to sell things. We're fairly forgiving here on MR, but some of your prospective customers will write you off if they see sloppy work.

CS works good under my mini with 1GB of Ram, i haven't seen many slowdowns at all. Dreamweaver and Flash MX work great too :D

Ed

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
treysmay said:
how well would a 1.42ghz 512mb ram mac mini handle the adobe creative sweet, mainly photoshop? sorry if this thread does excist because i could not find it.

First off, it is "suite"

Second off, it should do fine but get 1 GB of RAM. It will make a big difference in EVERYTHING not just Photoshop.

Ringu

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2005
I'll agree with all above. My GF's mini with 1GB ram works great at photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver etc.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
as mentioned before: Photoshop is a Ram-Hog (if I make mistakes in my writing of the english language, sorry my main language is dutch ;-) )

Before I got my G5 I ran Photoshop CS on a B&W G3 300Mhz with 768Mb ram & TiPb G4 400Mhz with 1Gb ram (both on OSX Panther) so a mini will do it too ;-)

the biggest difference will be the speed...

last week I had to work on location & borrowed a friend's iBook G4 800 with 640Mb ram... so i could deliver the cd with the images right after the shoot, it was quite urgent they needed to start printing the catalogue 1 hour later... I noticed the speed difference compared to my Dual G5 setup... it was a little slower but workable... funny how one gets used to speedier thing & when working on something slower really notices it ;-)

luxus problems we like to call them ;-)

get the mini with 1GB ram... you'll be fine
get a G5... you'll be great ;-)

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
my mini (1.42, 512) does it, allthough i do get the occasional beachball.
1 Gb of RAM and you should be computing in swift, small, style.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
treysmay said:

photoshop will work great with 512mb ram - unless you are editing humongous pictures...

These questions keep coming - I'm amazed that people can think their brand new computer can't run photoshop or final cut or iMovie... sorry for this little rant...

A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.