Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
ok i have a mac mini 1.42, 512 ram all the stuff it comes with. and when i first got it, i was getting pretty good speeds from it. alot better than my 2.5 windows machine. but now everything is running really slow. the internet takes upp to 30 secs just to load even like google.com and i am getting the same speeds i always have. and when i go to open like my halo game or some of my video or audio software they take forever to load up. now i have a onYx program that i run about once a week. is there anything else i can do? i am just stumped on waht to do. this is my first mac so any help would be Greatly appreciated

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
nanc said:
ok i have a mac mini 1.42, 512 ram all the stuff it comes with. and when i first got it, i was getting pretty good speeds from it. alot better than my 2.5 windows machine. but now everything is running really slow. the internet takes upp to 30 secs just to load even like google.com and i am getting the same speeds i always have. and when i go to open like my halo game or some of my video or audio software they take forever to load up. now i have a onYx program that i run about once a week. is there anything else i can do? i am just stumped on waht to do. this is my first mac so any help would be Greatly appreciated

Google "MacJanitor" it's a handly little app that when it been ran, clears out all the old log files and crap and speeds up your mac.... These are automated tasks that your mac is meant to do in the twilight hours, but if your like nearly everyone else and don't leave your computer on 24/7 this app does the job for you..

nanc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
but thats what the onYx program does. it cleans internet caches, mail downloads file, delete logs and crashreports, user caches, system caches, font caches, it executes maintenance scripts. and i run that once a week, and it seems to run good for about a day when i run that program, but by two or three days later it is running slow again. does that mean i should just run that program every couple of days or what?

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
nanc said:
but thats what the onYx program does. it cleans internet caches, mail downloads file, delete logs and crashreports, user caches, system caches, font caches, it executes maintenance scripts. and i run that once a week, and it seems to run good for about a day when i run that program, but by two or three days later it is running slow again. does that mean i should just run that program every couple of days or what?

If it works, I don't see why not. How much hard drive space do you have available? It could be slow because there isn't a lot of space left...

nanc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
i have 20 gb. out of 75 so not to bad. and i just ran it and it helped so i guess i just need to run it more oftne

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
nanc said:
i have 20 gb. out of 75 so not to bad. and i just ran it and it helped so i guess i just need to run it more oftne

O ok. I guess hard drive space isn't the problem. You shouldn't have to run it that often, but if it works it works. It's kind of like putting a band aid over a wound, you have to figure out what's causing the wound. Could you describe more what you use your Mini for...

nanc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
right i basically browse the internet talk on msn messenger play halo, play warcraft 3, and i have some video and audio editing but not much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.