Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Well I sold my iMac earlier this year and got a gaming PC. I really don't like Windows and decided to go back to OSX. Getting a 34" LG Ultra Wide Screen. Just bought a 2012 2.6Ghz i7 with 16Gb RAM from eBay and will put both my 240Gb SSD's in it. Is the HD4000 running El Capitan ok? The res of the LG is 3440x1440.

I won't be gaming on it but use Safari, Mail, Photoshop, Lightroom and Office 2016. Sounds like a powerful little machine on paper and looking forward to getting it.

G.C. Jones

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Charleston, SC
In relation to the 2012 quad-core i7 MacMini, I have this exact machine -- and it hums like a top. Very happy with it for the past 3 years. Works twice as fast, on video rendering tasks, as my mid-2010 dual-core 21" iMac with a dedicated graphics card (well, more cores, more threads). Recently obtained an Asus 1440p monitor, which pairs with the Mini very well, no stutters or lagging on video playback. In day-to-day use, you should be all set, esp with the dual SSD set-up you referenced.
BTW, the HD4000 has twice the video memory as the graphics card in my above-noted iMac. :)

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
Can the 2012 still kick it? I am still seeing a few on eBay that I am interested in, 2.3GHz ones though. Can't seem to find 2.6GHz

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
Math says the difference is ~10%. ;) Honestly, you're probably not going to notice the difference.

Cool! I'm going to grab one from eBay now I think!

2.3GHz
1TB HDD (will change to SSD)
8GB (will add 16 myself)
£540

Best deal on eBay at the minute, others are way too high

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
Honestly the difference between the HD 4000 and its Iris successors has been fairly minimal. Obviously the newer IGPs are better but you're still getting a powerful machine. Since its a desktop and not a notebook, battery life is a non-issue so Ivy Bridge computers are very good and quite comparable to current systems.

The clock is ticking on these computers where soon they will cost more than they are worth but for now they are still pretty good purchases. I'm not planning to replace mine for at least another year. Even then it will be moving to my living room and becoming an HTPC.

These computers will be amazing in that role for years to come.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Honestly the difference between the HD 4000 and its Iris successors has been fairly minimal. Obviously the newer IGPs are better but you're still getting a powerful machine. Since its a desktop and not a notebook, battery life is a non-issue so Ivy Bridge computers are very good and quite comparable to current systems.

The clock is ticking on these computers where soon they will cost more than they are worth but for now they are still pretty good purchases. I'm not planning to replace mine for at least another year. Even then it will be moving to my living room and becoming an HTPC.

These computers will be amazing in that role for years to come.

I agree completely! Sure, I can imagine some tasks where 2015-era chips would be better, but I can't imagine many tasks where they would be sooo much better as to make a practical impact - those seem niche anyway. Which is why I don't agree with the people who whine about it being 3-year-old technology. I don't care how old it is, I care how capable it is, and it is very capable still. It seems all the improvements in CPU and GPU technology lately has been with power efficiency, aimed at mobile devices. Today's consumer desktops aren't that much better than desktops from years ago. I really do not see any reason on the horizon, looking at Intel's roadmaps and all, to even consider making a change. I plan on keeping my 2012 QC to 2020, making the occasional upgrade here and there. By then, it will have 16GB of RAM and 2x 10TB SSDs. :)

Reactions: Celerondon

pgapol

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
Can the 2012 still kick it? I am still seeing a few on eBay that I am interested in, 2.3GHz ones though. Can't seem to find 2.6GHz

I do have an extra one I haven't used. Bought a 5k a few months ago. If you're still interested

larnauts

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Brilliant, this is good to hear. Thanks :)

Hi SpitUK,

I have the same setup as you but encountered some problems with Yosemite to get the 3440x1440 LG resolution back (needed a hack). So I fear to go into the same problems with Os X 10.11.

Does the 3440x1440 display work correctly with El Capitan?

Thanx in advance to share your experience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.