Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
If Sony can get a handle on the noise they may have some takers, that would be a really nice Media Center base.

As much as I like Sony's styling and build quality, some of them (even when they're specifically aimed for home use) tend to be too noisy. I had an all-in-one widescreen VAIO some time ago and it used to sound like a vacuum cleaner when the room got even just a bit warm. In summer it graduated to jet engine and I threw it out. My SZ2VP laptop - while it runs cool almost all the time - is a little too noisy to use at home. It's actually sounds a tad noisier than any of my desktops which are, to be fair, all pretty darned quiet but nevertheless noticeably noisier than any of my Dell or Apple laptops.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
(I realize this thread is a couple weeks old now, but I just recently saw pictures of this VAIO and didn't want to start a new thread).

I think it's fairly pretty, although there are a lot of gaps and seams. The keyboard is nice. :) I did see a video recently, also, where Gates had this with him in an interview touting it as advancement in Windows hardware form factors.

When Sony jumps to Vista, I wonder... will they start using Vista's media center applications, or will they continue their past practice of bundling a bunch of sort-of "best of breed" apps that don't really have a consistent look or feel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.