Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaddyB

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Ireland
hey guys my mac mini is acting weird.. its related to cds.. it will not read any cd except for the install disc:mad: . it just spits out all other cds.. wtf!

so far i have looked @ doing repair disc permissions, and a zapping the pram!

im starting to think there may be dirt on the lens. But the fact is iv never really used the cd drive + its actually reading 1 type of disc:confused:

i have done a search & cannot find a solution. any ideas guys?

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Is the install disc actually a DVD? It may be that for some reason your mini is only liking DVDs (much like my iBook's drive likes everything except CD-Rs... not that that helps much...)
You could try resetting the PMU and see if that helps; if not the mini might still be under the original 1 year warranty and you could look into that.

PaddyB

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Ireland
humm very bizzarre.. your theory on it reading dvds is correct.. its just wont read anything thats CDR format! hummmm

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
PaddyB said:
humm very bizzarre.. your theory on it reading dvds is correct.. its just wont read anything thats CDR format! hummmm

Simply call Apple.

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Yeah, I would call Apple. Also, try to find out if the problem happens with DVDs, and with what types of CDs? RWs? Originals? Rs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.