Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceMusic_Guy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
Mpls., MN
Has anyone out there ever bought a used G4 Tower from Mac of all Trades.com ??

I'm looking at getting a used G4 tower of some kind and have been checking out there site. It seems that they have some descent deals. Does anyone have any experience dealing with them ?? Are they very reputable ??

etberlin

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2004
avoid mac of all trades

hopefully you have not purchased from them yet. if you have, hopefully your experience was better than mine.

i purchased a g4 powerbook from macofalltrades.com for a price that was $200 cheaper than elsewhere. yep...you guessed it, too good to be true. in the 7 months that i have owned the computer, it has been in working condition for no more than 2 months. here are the fun details:

I ordered the computer 3-day shipping.* I received an email back that stated they had discovered the optical drive did not work.*
They replaced the optical drive and I received the computer 11 days after I ordered it.*

When the computer arrived, the optical drive did not work.* I had to bring it to my local Apple Store.* They sent the unit out in order to replace the optical drive.* That was another 6 days without the computer.*

The unit then worked for a period of a month, at which point it slowly started to run buggy.* It would take 15 or more minutes to boot up, and once it would boot up, it would run at half speed.

Finally, it just stopped booting up completely.* I took it to the Apple Store.* They determined that it was a software issue, and instructed me to purchase Disk Warrior ($80).* I ran Disk Warrior, and reinstalled my operating system.* The computer worked for a week before it would no longer boot up at all.* I then completely reformated the drive, and reinstalled the operating system.* A week later it would not boot up again.

*I took the computer into the Apple Store.***They sent it away to have the hard drive replaced.* A week later it returned, but now the optical drive did not work.* While in the Apple Store, they discovered that the mother board was not working as well.* So, they sent it out once again to have the optical drive and the mother board replaced.* While they were at it, they also installed a new heat sync and fan.

i sent nearly an exact copy of what i wrote here to the company this was their reply: "This item is out of warranty and ineligible for refund or repair on our end. Sorry."

i am now in the process of filing a complaint with the better business bureau.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Good experience a few years ago

I bought a WallStreet PowerBook G3 from Mac of All Trades a few years ago for $800 (good price at the time), and didn't have any problems at all. I don't remember specifics (ship time, etc.), but I remember being very satisfied with the computer. It worked very well for a number of years with daily use, and I sold it just recently. I don't think this is a case of "too good to be true" because their prices are pretty much in line with other places--just remember that the computers are used, although some are in very good condition (they tell you the condition on their website, I think). They actually have been around for quite a long time, so they must be doing something right to be in business still. Anyway, I would definitely buy from them again if I was in the market for a used computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.