Mac OS 9.1 Update Download

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mzeb, Oct 10, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I've been trying to get a hold of the 9.1 update from apple but the links on apple.com to the download are broken (can get to the 9.1 Software and Before install page). Does anybody know where I can get it? I'm stuck at 9.0.4 :). Thanks.

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

You aren't running Mac OS 9 in a virtualized environment on an Intel Mac, via SheepShaver, are you? If so keep in mind that SheepShaver doesn't support 9.1 and above.

As far as downloading Mac OS 9.1 goes, I'm having the exact same problem, getting redirected to a Not Found page. Odd.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Nah, just got my old Bondi Blue Rev. B back from my Dad. Figured I'd see how well it works :).

4. macrumors member

aednichols

Try just using the built-in software update. IIRC, last time I installed and updated 9, it just pulled the updates from Apple's servers automatically, just like it does with X.

5. macrumors 68040

cluthz

6. macrumors P6

Intell

7. macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Only seems to be those downloads affected by the "Export Compliance Agreement"

ie:

9.1 Update
    9.2.1 Update
    9.2.2 Update
    and
    URL Access 2.3

Which may have been stored on a server other than download.info.apple.com many years ago for that very reason. Now that redirect no longer works. URL Access 2.3 still works fine, which probably means it was those 3 updates hosted elsewhere to take the load off Apple's servers at the time.

It seems that the 3 MacOS updates were at:

supportdownload.apple.com/speedera.info.apple.com/Mac_OS/9.BLAH/full/Mac_OS_9.BLAH_Update.smi.bin

but that now returns/redirects to the "Not Found" error page

IIRC that redirects to apple.speedera.net which no longer seems to be working properly. Apple should really fix it. The load on their servers would no longer require hosting it on speedera.net.

Which is all really useless information. :rolleyes:

The iiNet link posted by Intell should work fine.

I'm intrigued as to if the "Software Update" control panel still works for these updates. :confused:

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 601

Besides, back in the day, going from 9.0.x to 9.1 was not an update, it was an upgrade. $$$

Has that changed now, since it's so old?

10. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Yes it has. It's a free update now.

11. MacTech68, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Actually, no, it never was a paid upgrade. At the time, Apple's .x updates were mostly free for download, something which changed somewhat for OSX.

You could purchase a CD of the update or the full retail version of OS9.1 but if you allready had OS9.0.x, the update to 9.1 was free.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20337

That is correct, but you should also have a Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi (expanded from Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin). Just make sure they are all in the same folder and double click on the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi in OS9 and it will mount the entire disk.

.smi is a Self Mounting (disk)Image.

12. macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, upon downloading all the files and putting them in the same folder, and double-clicking the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin file, I get the message 'The ShrinkWrap engine has reported an error. Error -43".

A new file called 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' appears, but double-clicking it gives the message 'Unable to execute "Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1". Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 are missing or corrupted.'

Not quite sure what's wrong here :-S

Sorry to dig this up, but it's a shame I can't upgrade to 9.1.

13. macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify, did you attempt to open the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin, or the expanded version of it?

14. macrumors 68000

MacTech68

If you have a 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' file, this implies that you should also have a 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi' file. The latter is the one you should double click on.

Also, you may want to check the file sizes to make sure the original download wasn't truncated.

15. macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I'll try this in a couple of days when I'm back at home and get back to you! (Y)

16. macrumors 65816

aaronvan

I can't believe I stumbled upon a thread devoted to OS 9. Too cool!