Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I noticed that it now allows Intel Macs to install Flip4Mac. That should make a lot of people around here happy.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Really?

Now come on. The first OS update since the release of Macs based on an all-new architecture, and the fixes are just a bunch of mundane stuff like "printing to some Epson printer models?" (no offense to the people with those models of Epsons..)

What did they really fix in the "general operating system?"

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
well at least they recognized the running OS X on a PC box thing and now they have to hack all over again lol:rolleyes:

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
jaynyc said:
Hope it fixes the horribly long startup time I've had under 10.4.4.
Really? I haven't noticed. I haven't restarted since installing 10.4.4. I'm gonna DL but wait for more comments before installing. I'm not sure I wanna kill my uptime for this.

jaynyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2005
Heb1228 said:
Really? I haven't noticed. I haven't restarted since installing 10.4.4. I'm gonna DL but wait for more comments before installing. I'm not sure I wanna kill my uptime for this.

It's been very inconsistent, often taking up to 5 minutes. Of course, I'm nervous it could just be a failing hard drive.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
WildCowboy said:
I noticed that it now allows Intel Macs to install Flip4Mac. That should make a lot of people around here happy.
that's fantastic news!

topherchris

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
Portable Home Directory

Is for Os X server environments wehre the client keeps a copy of their home folder on the server that is synched.

From Admin guide:

Portable Home Directories. Users with portable computers can now enjoy
synchronized versions of home directory folders locally and on the network. Portable
Home Directories synchronize selected content across local and network home
directories based on the most recent version of a file.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
"Portable Home Directories".

Is this a newly introduced feature?

If not, how do you set it up. Very useful.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm heading to the airport so my desktop will have to wait. Maybe I'll update my laptop when I land. Maybe not, can't afford problems when I'm away.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
rikers_mailbox said:
Beat me to it...

What's "Portable Home Directory"?

It's a feature on Mac OS X server that allows portable users to work offline with their home directory and then when they return to the network it syncs all changes (either way). Think that explains it all :eek:

6.4 Mb...so small, so very, very, small :)

Just to think my iMac got sent back for FrontRow issues when, in fact, this could have fixed it :eek: Ah well, this will be fun!

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
I think I'll wait till tonight or tomorrow to make sure everything is running smoothly on other people's computers...that was a hella fast update from 10.4.4...wow...took me off guard for sure to see .5 up already.

topherchris

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
Can not work with out an Os Xserver

Stella said:
"Portable Home Directories".

Is this a newly introduced feature?

If not, how do you set it up. Very useful.

Is usefull for laptops as well as roaming clients in office environment. For home use you would be better or rsync'ing

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
rikers_mailbox said:
Beat me to it...

What's "Portable Home Directory"?
Taken from Apple's 10.4.5 update info document:
"Files copied across a network via Portable Home Directories are now copied as temporary files until the transfer is complete, in case the network connection is interrupted before the transfer finished."

Wasn't that what Apple's "backup home directory to iPod" thing was all about?

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Wasn't the 10.3.1 update super tiny? Like 1.3MB? It wasn't even really an OS update, it just fixed the FileVault feature from eating your info.

AppleMatt said:
6.4MB?! This must be the smallest OS X point update ever!

Oh well. Safari, Dashboard and Epson printing. I use those three :)

AppleMatt

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Funny... About This Mac reports that I'm running 10.4.5 even before I restarted, even before Software Update is finished... :confused:

I've checked that in the past, I think it always does that.

uptime
15:55 up 22 days, 3:52, 2 users, load averages: 0.26 0.32 0.33

Dang, time to reboot I guess.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
stridey said:
Hey Mitthrawnuruodo, how did you hack the apple in the "About This Mac" floater to use the old logo?
I just replaced the MacOSX.tif in /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents
/Resources/ with the attached image (zipped so I could upload it). Any transparent tif in the right size can be used... :)

Edit: I might used this tip at ResExellence, a while back, but I'm not sure - I poked a lot aroung in CoreServices right after Tiger was released, looking for stuff I could mess with... ;)

Attachments

• MacOSX.tif.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 353
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.