Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Yesterday a number of screenshots purporting to be from a developer's release of Mac OS X 10.4 made their way onto the internet.

While sources have been unable to directly confirm the validity of the images depicted, we have been able to get reliable confirmation that many of the concepts depicted -- including the Safari RSS implementation as well as the Konfabulator-like widget plug in system -- should find their way into Mac OS X 10.4.

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) will be previewed this next week at Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Really???

Macrumors said:
Yesterday a number of screenshots purporting to be from a developer's release of Mac OS X 10.4 made their way onto the internet.

While sources have been unable to directly confirm the validity of the images depicted, we have been able to get reliable confirmation that many of the concepts depicted -- including the Safari RSS implementation as well as the Konfabulator-like widget plug in system -- should find their way into Mac OS X 10.4.

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) will be previewed this next week at Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference.

Really???

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
that's the latest word....

guess we'll see...

arn

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Scratching the surface

Macrumors said:

So far, it looks good for a start, but why gadgets? They look so
Windoze.....

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I'd use those gadgets. It's a question how easily can I customize them and how easy it for a new-user to access.

It's 3:30 in the morning EST time. Maybe I should sleep some... "Innovation never sleeps." ;)

amols

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
They don't seem real. The Expose dashboard looks weird. We'll soon know.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Tiger never sleeps......

applekid said:
I'd use those gadgets. It's a question how easily can I customize them and how easy it for a new-user to access.

It's 3:30 in the morning EST time. Maybe I should sleep some... "Innovation never sleeps." ;)

In the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle,
the Lion Sleeps tonight..... No
Tiger sleeping there..... ;)

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Windoze

Finiksa said:
Really? I've never seen anything like Konfabulator/Dashboard on a Windows system.

True, but the clock design struck a similarity to
the preview of Longhorn v.000000000001

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
mj_1903 said:
Sadly I agree with you. That's one feature I will not be using.
Wow! The clock was the thing I liked best about it. If it's able to display other time zones I'd be using it constantly.

The one thing I dislike about Konfabulator is I haven't been able to find a decent world clock.

Sped

macrumors regular
May 30, 2003
I don't know that I have a very long wish list for 10.4. I am pretty darn happy with 10.3 as a whole. If anything, I wish Safari's update cycle was quicker. 10.3 is awesome, but even though I use Safari almost exclusively, I really wish that Safari loaded ALL internet sites correctly (an impossible order I know). I also wish it worked better with the Media Player plug-in, or better yet, Quicktime started running more typically PC-friendly video CODECs.

One more thing on the wish list is an update to iChat. It would be nice if iChat became a kind of interpreter for multiple IM clients. Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to chat with your AIM, MSN, and Yahoo buddies using a single app?

By the way, what is RSS?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
One thing I do like--the way the toolbar is just part of the Prefs window title bar. That would like really nice in Mail, for instance.

The small "weirdnesses" I can keep an open mind about--it's a TEST version.

The BIG issue of the widgets looking weird and non-Apple... that's pretty hard to get past. (Unless those really ARE known Konfabulator widgets, and they happen to work with Apple's new system but are not BY Apple. Anyone recognize any of them specifically?)

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
nagromme said:
One thing I do like--the way the toolbar is just part of the Prefs window title bar.
I'm not very impressed with this, I like dropping my most used Prefs up the top which doesn't look possible in this version. If I'm wrong then it doesn't seem too bad a change.

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
Sped said:
By the way, what is RSS?

Really Simple Syndication.

It's nothing more than an XML file that supporting programs interpret into basically a headline feed, often with a small summary.

Example programs are NetNewsWire, OmniWeb, Safari (Soon ;)). Coincidentally there are Konfabulator widgets for this (I hope that "Dashboard" will be extremely easy to write widgets for!).

amols

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
Why System Prefs have a search field :confused: . Is it really hard to find what you are looking for in that window ??

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Whiz Bang not needed

When the gods wish to punish us, they give us exactly what we want. Perhaps Tiger's development was influenced by the rain dance of most users who lamented over being "forced" to upgrade every year for exciting new features. Soon they'll be made with the same degree of "force" to upgrade for rather boring ones.

-Hertz

G4-power

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2004
Vaasa, Finland
Those widgets, and especially the dasboard with the "X" (Close window?) looks so Windoze. I hope this isn't what we're going to see, but the idea is nice.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Well I am glad to see some supporting rumors for a Konfabulator like tool in OSX. I like the idea of being able to write my own simple code and use quartz extreme interfaces.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
if OSX does sport widgets, I hope Apple will set up a system so widget developers can make some money for their efforts. At the moment, developing Konfabulator widgets is done for the love of it - but sells much K for the guys who produced K.
Maybe an iTMS style shop where widgets can be downloaded for $1 ea with 3 day demo versions. (with widgets, 3 days is plenty of time to decide if you like it or not).

BTW The concept of dashboard presented by these screenshots didn't appeal, but if they are used context sensitvely like some are saying, they could be pretty cool.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
This is getting really weird. First, they seem real. Then they are for sure not real. Now, there's so many friggin' screenshots, it seems real, or at least the concepts are real! Well, I hope that the dashboard is done the Apple way, then it'll probably be good. But I don't like the current shots. Hm, we'll see in about 30 hours.
–Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.