Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I think the keyword there is "control" given I've heard numerous times that Steve Jobs is a bit of a control freak, so-to-speak. I just don't think he should decide exactly how my Mac's desktop looks. He can pick the default, but I should be free to modify things from there. With iPhone, it gets even more problematic since you can't add more apps yourself without jailbreaking the phone.

Macs have a reputation for being for creative people...well... creative people tend to NOT be robots and want their computer to look like everyone else's so it bugs me that Macs are by FAR the LEAST friendly to theming. Be creative, but not on your computer desktop? Honestly, it smacks more of coming across like Apple thinks we're too stupid to figure out how to modify settings so they just decided to not give them so we can't screw it up or something. How about a nice big red RESET TO DEFAULTS switch then? ;)

This is one area I totally agree with. I have a Mac service business and it's weird to go to a client's home and see their Macs look like mine at home. I don't care for the fact the Apple has only allowed the user to change only the color of the traffic lights and scroll bars and even this has only one color change option.
Window UI should be colorized by the user and even the current menu bar, the user should have the option to change the color of it.
I'm hoping but I don't see Apple allowing much customization in Leopard either.:(

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
The dock will not look like this on the side.

I know I'll see by friday, but how do you know?

It does look pretty hideous on the side, but luckily I've never liked the Tiger dock on the side either.

But some of the guys comments on that page are just ignorant, especially about the wallpaper and window reflecting in the docks shiny surface. No **** it doesn't help you with anything...it just looks good!:rolleyes:

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Mostly off topic, I found AppleInsider's description of NeXT Dock,

is opposite of what was the case. As the screenshot there shows, Digital Librarian is not running !

Back then, ellipsis marks are for non-running apps.
You can check this by googling screenshots of NeXTSTEP, or NeXT documentation here.

That might have been my misspeak. And yes, the no dots meant the app(s) were active.

The big argument for or against the dots was the fact that three dots signified inactivity and not dots signified activity. UI people in Apple felt no indicator didn't help convey an application was running so they broke the NeXT UI paradigm and butchered much more.

Now in OS X they switched from no dots inactive and one large glowing dot as active.

I was too busy trying to make the point that the doc then was meant more to be a quick access point between applications and how to hide/reveal other app windows in conjunction or separate from each other.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I just thought of how extremely handy stacks will be when you folders set up for Foldershare for instance or shared dropbox folders on a network.

Nothing groundbreaking but very useful

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
Since you asked, it truly doesn't matter. I don't know the people personally but it's always nice to meet a new Mac user or read about people excited about their new Mac purchase but since you asked, it really doesn't matter. Many of the people that are so-called switching aren't really switching at all. Many of them are buying the Macintosh and calling it Apple hardware only (dismissing the fact that it's really a Macintosh system) and installing Windows to run as a PC machine only. This switching thing doesn't matter, you are only a TRUE switcher to the Mac platform if you do it without the need to run Windows. I switched after Windows 98 and never used Windows anymore.

Geez dude... Lighten up.

Im just happy about all the new Mac/MAC/mac/MACK ( I dont care HOW you spell it) users!!! Welcome to light side of the force!!! May the :apple: be with you.

Ariez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I honestly think the improvement on the dock is nice but unnecessary due to launch apps like QS.

celloman

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
uh oh. nice article but shown on an "old" macbook. implying no new macbook release very soon???? :(

martijn.s

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
I did not say XP is wonderful, just said it was faster, snappy... get it?

I guess Leopard will have an on and off switch re shadows, glass table effects... for those of us who need After effects and FinalCut to have full use of CPU/GPU......

Just a fact all those childish effects are GPU heavy. Anyone who seriously wants to use a computer from gaming to video knows all the effects will weigh on the hardware.

With Windows you can turn it all off. Horrible and ugly either way but it does make for a snappy experience.

CPU and GPU will be working hard to make it all spin..you want to fry eggs on your hardware?

Fine I want more.

Here you need the Bong more than I do. Jobs sending you some Kool Aid too.

the "3D" dock is a simple png file, it's not using any CPU, and no screen space if u turn hiding on.

stop lying, your ******** is all over the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.