1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Mac OS X Leopard's Spaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AppleInsider provides a look at Apple's implementation of Spaces in their upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and the origins of such virtual workspaces.
    The author believes that Apple successfully addressed both issues to make Spaces a useful addition to Mac OS X.

Apple also provides a dedicated page describing the new feature of Leopard as well as a Quicktime movie demonstrating the feature.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is expected to be released this month.

Article Link

2. macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Dreamt Spaces Saved My Life

I had a dream last night that Spaces really got me organized better than ever before.

3. macrumors 68000

I am so looking forward to this.

I am so sick of the current solutions switching virutal spaces incorrectly when I open doc type X in space Y when application Z is was first opened in Y.

Now that apple is standardizing virutal desktops windows should finally open in their correct spots.

Nice.

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I want to know the keyboard shortcuts for this sucker.

I still find application hiding and Exposé to work quite well.

5. macrumors 68000

FJ218700

in your dream, was it October or November?

6. macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I think this is one feature I'm really looking forward to using, especially on a macbook pro.

Very cool.

7. macrumors 6502a

happydude

did you notice ical in your dream? was it still october?!:D

8. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Lots of people on these forums seem to be having dreams about Leopard.

9. macrumors demi-god

Peace

I set my middle mouse button as the shortcut.Simply clicking it gives me a birds eye view of all the spaces.Clicking again takes me back to where I was or where I'm going.

10. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I thought you'd be able to set it to a mouse button.

Definitely quad core Mac time for this.

11. macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You.. dream about operating systems? :confused:

12. macrumors 601

Yvan256

How about a "one core per desktop" mode, allowing easy user CPU allocation?

Example (Core Duo Mac):
    - put Handbrake in a space by itself to give it a whole CPU to encode a DVD
    - put all your other apps in another space to share your other CPU

13. macrumors regular

JSpence

Still expected to be this month? If there is nothing by tomorrow, let alone the end of this weekend, I'm going to break into a constant sweat :p

14. macrumors 68020

samh004

I must say, Spaces is one of the things I'd really see myself using a lot, however I wonder if I'd forget about conversations going on in different spaces too ? Quite likely.

HAHA... that put a smile on my face.

I'm not sure if I'd want to swap out Exposé for Spaces, as that's currently what I have my middle mouse button set as... when I'm using a mouse.

15. macrumors 6502

I really like these Apple Insider features, but for heck's sake, I WANT A RELEASE DATE, so I can go out and buy my MBP and get a copy of Leopard via up to date....

BTW- Are they technically allowed to do these without violating their NDA, or is apple turning a blind eye, because it's free, very positive, advertising?

16. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Never Limit Handbrake's Access To All The Cores It Can Eat

That's a bad example since Handbrake can use all available cores to crush As Fast As Possible (AFAP) and many other applications only need a small fraction of a core to run. Handbrake and Toast would be the last things I would ever want to limit core access to.

Mail on the other hand, now there's a CORE HOG if I ever saw one - I would love to limit Mail to 25% of a core if I could.

17. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Interesting article, Spaces in one of the features of Leopard that I am really looking forward too. Think this will probably be my most used part of Leopard apart from the updated Finder.

18. macrumors 65816

juanm

Apparently, ctrl+1, +2,+3 and so on

19. macrumors regular

Funny. I'm very excited about Spaces though. Having multiple desktops is the one thing I missed when I switched from Linux.

20. macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Very nice! I first used work spaces waaaay back in my HP-UX days almost ten years ago. (damn, I feel old)

HP-UX's Visual User Environment defaulted to six workspaces but the number was configuable.

Nice work, Apple!

21. macrumors 65816

juanm

Don't ask, don't tell. :p

22. macrumors 68020

samh004

I thought that was great !! :D

23. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Looks like the best implementation of a virtual desktop. Perhaps Quicklook will be the topic for Friday as we wait for the official shipping date. I wish I could dream about it. It hasn't even shipped in my dreams yet.

Hopefully by Friday or Monday, some small HTML file will change on the Apple site that mentions a shipping date and a countdown.

24. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

as well as crtl + arrow and F8

25. macrumors 6502a

I don't know about 25%, but if you start it from Terminal like this:
    nice /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail &

it will be given a lower CPU priority than other programs.