Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
Hey folks,

I own an old blueberry iBook first generation with a 300 Mhz G3 processor, 3.0 GB HD, 128 MB of RAM and until recently I had forgotten about it as my PowerBook DVI replaced it a little over a year and a half ago. To cut to the chase, recently I pulled it out of my closet and realized that maybe I could do something with it....I'm not sure what......but maybe something. My question is, is it possible to install Mac OS X Panther on the iBook if I reformatted my HD and clean installed it. Right now it is running the dreaded Mac OS X 10.0. Also, if not Panther what about Jaguar?

Thanks

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I have Panther running on a 233 MHz Bondi Blue iMac with 256MB RAM and it runs like a charm! I would double the RAM to at least 256 MB and it will work fine!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...if it was running 10.0 (which I ran on my old iBook 300 before getting the newer powerbook) then it should run 10.3 even better. The only issue that may arise is when you are installing and what kind of install you choose to do...for instance, if you try and "archive and install" it's possible there will not be enough drive space....but as you've already decided to reformat and install you shouldn't have that problem but I would go through the custom install stuff and weed out extra language packs etc to free up as much space as possible......oh yeah!

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
Thanks for all the feedback. Interesting idea of using it as my OS 9 computer. Besides using it as an OS 9 computer though I am stumped as to what else I could use my iBook for. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Fixed a typo

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Originally posted by macreator
Thanks for all the feedback. Interesting idea of using it as my OS 9 computer. Besides using it as an OS 9 computer though I am stumped as to what else I could use my iBook for. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Fixed a typo

Word processing, web brosing/email, simple games.... not much since you already have a powerbook.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of it! And if you do, give it to me.;)

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I put Panther on a 366 MHz Indigo iBook SE. Works pretty well, except for Expose, which does not like the absence of Quartz support at all. Like the others here, I would recommend maxing out memory, and doing a custom install to skip over drivers and languages you don't see needing.

I personally use mine to get better AirPort range than my TiBook DVI inside my all-too-shielded house....

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
I need a Mac magician!

Ok, I already posted a thread of my own about this, but I got an old 500Mhz G3 ibook with 64 Meg RAM with and added 256 chip. OS X won't install!!

Check out my posting under panther discussion forum "Getting OSX to run on an old ibook" but it freezes after the restart every time. i even tried installing OS 10.0.2 but nothing works. Please end my misery! Any input would be helpful. thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.