Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
iHack said:
<sarcasm>
(and actually the OS X is not even an operating system but rather a gui for FreeBSD)
</sarcasm>

Jeez, I thought i had seen the last of these "it's an OS/it's a gui" discussions around '96/'97. It's pointless.

but that's a fact, osx is a GUI and that's what apple is selling! they give darwin (the OS) for free - for ppc and x86.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
JFreak said:
well, do the research, it is true - microsoft has never written an operating system by themselves :) they bought dos and asked ibm to write os/2 but didn't want to market it when it was about to be finished. their latest - the NT - is an interesting story, because they had many companies together writing the os for them (and for that reason nt initially supported many cpu architechtures, the feature later dropped by microsoft). in addition to a great deal of vax code there must have been a lot of os/2 code because ibm was also developing it at that time, plus one of the companies involved were digital, which brought a lot of insight in memory handling.

microsoft is not a software company. it is a marketing house. it does pretty damn good job in marketing somebody else's products as its own ;)

I think someone's a little confused and it's not me. Microsoft didn't ask IBM to write OS/2. IBM paid Microsoft to write OS/2 to their design. IBM didn't do anything with VAX--they used VM/CMS as a basis for the design of OS/2.

Microsoft did buy 86-DOS from Tim Paterson and quickly renamed it, later hiring him to lead the project.

Mac Dummy

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
jemeinc said:
Man, we are spoiled aren't we ... lol... I love it... That statement just brought back all of those distant, yet painful memories of 2 & 3 reboots a day... I can't believe I managed to get any work done at all...

Welcome to Windows! :mad:

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
OS 10.3.3.04.05.03

dontmatter said:
In other news, c'mon, apple, c'mon...you shouldn't NEED security updates.

Apple "Security Update" is really a minor OS update.

Do you really want to be running last month's 10.3.3.04.04.05 instead of this month's 10.3.3.04.05.03?

... Just call it Security Update 2004-05-03 instead of mucking around with iterations of the basic OS number. :rolleyes:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Well, after updating, Mail crashed (1st time ever) on startup. Works now.

iTunes 4.5 crashes every time I try to listen to the internet radio station: Electronica>Music One (24/7 Mix of Today's Dance...the 128kps stream.

Give it a try, and let me know if you can successfully listen to this stream. :mad:

EDIT: Running 10.3.3, most current everything (software-wise).

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
coolbreeze said:
Well, after updating, Mail crashed (1st time ever) on startup. Works now.

iTunes 4.5 crashes every time I try to listen to the internet radio station: Electronica>Music One (24/7 Mix of Today's Dance...the 128kps stream.

Give it a try, and let me know if you can successfully listen to this stream. :mad:

EDIT: Running 10.3.3, most current everything (software-wise).

I was getting the same thing on Top 40>Hitzradio.com earlier, but it's stopped now. Music One plays fine for me.

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
dontmatter said:
well, it's way too late for anybody to read this but.... apple decided to slip something in here besides updates to actual security. It breakes gettunes.

The battle is taken up a notch, it seems.

Of course that was a security update. It was just not a security update to protect *your* computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.