Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Does this mean that as far as iCloud goes, PowerPC users are left in the dust, given that Snow Leopard is not supported on PowerPC (max OS on PowerPC G4/G5 is 10.5.8)...I have heard nothing about iCloud support on Leopard.

Is Apple just completely dropping support for PowerPC from here on out?

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
This news makes me very happy! I only have one machine in the house that can run Lion, and it's my partner's machine and I really don't want to introduce a new level of confusion ;) plus it's not much use to me for all my files. Bring on SL support :D

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Fortunately this allows many users to experience iCloud's service while the Lion OS continues to be stabilized. Sounds like a good situation all around, I'm sure soon enough Lion will be stable enough to warrant those on SL (like me) to make the jump if iCloud for Lion was supposed to be one of the bigger selling points.

But I was just wondering, although I figure none of us would really know for sure, has anyone considered what animal would come after Lion? Since Lions are considered kings, I'm assuming the next animal would at least be a different animal. Maybe a Gorilla soon. lol

There are many kinds of Lions. I'm sure they can work something out. It would seem silly to keep using cats once they're done with the various flavors of royalty though. ;) Based on all the celestial wallpapers they've been using for the past 4 years, they may use planets and constellations.

ardy8888

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Why in the world aren't Preferences, Widgets, Dock, and Keychains being synced?? These are some of the most fundamental features associated with keeping computers in sync, and in meeting the true intent of iCloud - that any computer you have is a "device", equivalent to any other device you own, and that they stay in sync with each other rather than you needed to spend all your time managing your devices and their content.

This is a step away from that vision. What would it take for Apple to change? Or at least offer those services as paid premium options?

Mark

I think iCloud is intended to sync content between devices. Content meaning video, music and photos. Sounds like what you're looking for is to take two Macs and have everything sync. The things you've listed that you'd like to sync can not sync to an iDevice.

On another note, I don't think I'd like my keychain to sync. That has logins to all of my...everything. I'm quite happy with it only living on my notebook. If I need something on another Mac, I can open the keychain on the notebook and grab the url, username and password. Maybe I'm a little too paranoid. :)

----------

Haven't they already done this?

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
Neophyte here. Will I be able to sync my iPad and iPhone directly through iCloud?

I am currently synching with Leopard in my PowerBook.

alansky

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
Marin County, CA
Upgrade or downgrade?

The Apple notice needs one correction, imho. It should read: "You will no longer be able to sync with this machine because you've downgraded to iCloud."

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Neophyte here. Will I be able to sync my iPad and iPhone directly through iCloud?

I am currently synching with Leopard in my PowerBook.

Basically we don't think so. iCloud looks to be compatible only with Snow Leopard and Lion which both require at least a Intel chip. However, iOS 5 has not been put out, so nobody knows to sure

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
Great! I was hoping to skip Lion...at least until I get a new machine. I have no interest in upgrading my copy of Photoshop, and was coming under pressure to do so just because I wanted to use iCloud! I love MobileMe and will certainly miss iDisk, but I will just find someone else to pay for those services.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Nice, will make it so that I can use SL even longer before upgrading to Lion. (which I eventually will at some point)

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
Basically we don't think so. iCloud looks to be compatible only with Snow Leopard and Lion which both require at least a Intel chip. However, iOS 5 has not been put out, so nobody knows to sure

Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Calling a missing feature a bug is a not-so-subtle way of manipulating others to support your call for this feature. Because enough people will not stop and think, 'Hey this is not a bug, it is a missing feature', they will read bug and mentally agree that any bug should be fixed. This is the attempt to put Apple under 'public' pressure by anchoring the notion in people's mind that unless this feature is implemented, Apple is not fixing a known, long-standing bug.

(That is one possible interpretation of the motivation behind somebody calling this a bug, another is that the poster is fully aware that people will realise this motivation and thus mean this rather tongue-in-cheek.)

Amazing how both of our comments, whilst being FOR the consumer and any apple evangelical, got downgraded.

You hit the nail on the head though. I am fully aware of it not being a bug but rather Apple being lazy and stupid in not adopting a, more or less standard function/feature for SSDs. Windows users having been coasting along with full TRIM support for some years now whilst Apple, a company and its fanboys that regards itself so highly is missing such a fundamentally important function... having said that, my push for apple to finally bring this into OS X is actually downgraded.

Last edited by a moderator:

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Amazing how both of our comments, whilst being FOR the consumer and any apple evangelical, got downgraded.

You hit the nail on the head though. I am fully aware of it not being a bug but rather Apple being lazy and stupid in not adopting a, more or less standard function/feature for SSDs. Windows users having been coasting along with full TRIM support for some years now whilst Apple, a company and its fanboys that regards itself so highly is missing such a fundamentally important function... having said that, my push for apple to finally bring this into OS X is actually downgraded.

I concur. Even basic analogies tend to go completely over the heads of people here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
What about those on Leopard (PPC Users)

I mean, why not support that, and Snow Leopard? Leopard was the last release for PPC, and SL was the last fore 32bit Core Duo, and Core Solo machines.

This is welcome news, but couldn't they keep some mobileme functions working for PPCs on 10.5?

Does this mean that as far as iCloud goes, PowerPC users are left in the dust, given that Snow Leopard is not supported on PowerPC (max OS on PowerPC G4/G5 is 10.5.8)...I have heard nothing about iCloud support on Leopard.

Apple makes profits by selling new hardware. If you are still running on that old PPC machine, Apple wants you to move to new hardware, now.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Why in the world aren't Preferences, Widgets, Dock, and Keychains being synced?? These are some of the most fundamental features associated with keeping computers in sync, and in meeting the true intent of iCloud - that any computer you have is a "device", equivalent to any other device you own, and that they stay in sync with each other rather than you needed to spend all your time managing your devices and their content.

This is a step away from that vision. What would it take for Apple to change? Or at least offer those services as paid premium options?

I would think it's safer to role out syncing bit by bit to atack small bugs just a few at a time instead of being overwhelmed by a truckload of them all at once with a total rollout.

fjpoblam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
¡Muchas gracias!

Superb news for us. I hadn't yet determined whether we need Lion. I've seen opinions both ways online, and I haven't had time to wander into an Apple Store to try it on for size. I know our boxes could run it, but I'm still waffling.

iCloud support (good or bad) will give us time to be lazy and wait longer.;)

(Heck, we're not gonna get iPads until 3 comes out...so iCloud's just for our MBPs and Touches for now.)

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006

Let's be honest: by the time MobileMe is discontinued, all but a tiny handful of PPC machines (the last month's worth of G5 towers) will be over six years old. The Intel announcement will be nearly seven years old.

You can reasonably expect a brand-new Mac to run the current OS for three years, and to be supported for another two or so years after that when the last OS it can run is one release old. This is how Apple has worked since OS X came out. There is no reason you would expect them to spend time coding and testing features for an architecture that has been discontinued for six years.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I am fully aware of it not being a bug
But you are not convinced that your arguments are good enough and you therefore have to distort the facts to win enough support for your position?

Or rather that you feel that the only way to properly display your displeasure at Apple is to show that you are upset in such a manner that you cannot control yourself anymore and lead an honest debate but are so overwhelmed with emotion that you don't perceive any obligation anymore to play fair and not intentionally mislead people?

Or maybe you have the position that the goal justifies the means and being honest is less important than Apple's sin of financial (and organisational) stinginess by not implementing TRIM for all SSDs. Which is a curious hierarchy of values.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple should do something "radical". They should install an update to OS 9.2.X and OS 10.3.X and OS 10.4.X and OS 5.x to bring them ALL into 2012 to prove once and for all Apple hardware does not get obsolete and all computer users should switch immediately to Mac. This will not benefit them immediately, because some users with multiple machines for multiple personal purposes, do not need future media.

But just as Apple made iTunes and Quicktime for windows to suck people into the future, they need to make "modern services" for "legacy OS's", to get users of legacy hardware to use new systems as well.

Apple. Listening?

The landfills will thank you.

ROCKETMAN

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Hope this is true, downgraded to SL a week ago on my 2011 MBP - just not happy with Lion yet. Only reason I was going to go back to Lion at this point in time was for iCloud. So this is awesome news.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Apple makes profits by selling new hardware. If you are still running on that old PPC machine, Apple wants you to move to new hardware, now.

What about having a PPC Mac and an iPhone 5? Would that make the universe implode? :D

(not my case though, I'm just another moron making a joke, as such I aim for a 0 rating!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.